Climbing...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by herzalot, Jul 19, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    You're blowing my mind! :)

2. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    ^^^^^ testify!! This is it, very well said.

3. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I like climbing, mostly after it is over, but I still like the sense of accomplishment. It’s a different type of accomplishment though, not the pat yourself on the back kind.. more like a feeling alive accomplishment and glad I did it rather than be lazy.

On the other hand, when I don’t ride (climb) I will get feelings of guilt and regret. Unless it is due to family time, of course.

4. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro

Capture (14).JPG

5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Well said. Love the Tao and the Idealism.

6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    When I chimed in, the top three were roughly tied. I am surprised and almost elated to see that even Pinkbike readers (most of whom have a DH proclivity) endorse climbing as a part of the whole sport, by a 25% margin over the next highest answer "I don't mind climbing - but I only climb to get to the downs," which was my answer :oops:.

7. jimbowho

jimbowho Well-Known Member

Name:
    james jim jimmy
    Current Bike:
    GT sensor
    I don't like climbing right in the beginning. but I do prefer it, because I like the end of a ride to be all downhill. That makes me happy. Oh and guzzling a beer until my eyes water before even taking my helmet off with a wet ice chest glove.

8. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Palm epic.. end. Two cold cans... One pickle... Yeah u know what I'm talkin about...
    Ummm

MrGreedom, scan, DangerDirtyD and 7 others like this.
  9. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Faust rossage.. I'm really liking this thread..
    I did a two taco ride today but drank two beers..
    Need to climb some more.. but fully only counts for half taco

MrGreedom, scan, DangerDirtyD and 5 others like this.
  10. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    I love climbing for its own sake..
    Nothing like Harding's waterfalls n wildflowers..
    I love downhills.. chunk n air.. air n chunk.. flow flow flow...
    I love mtbkin.. talkin ridin then eating drinking after..

MrGreedom, scan, DangerDirtyD and 9 others like this.
  11. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    This thread totally delivered. Nice expression, @rossage.

So going uphill most riders like. What about pushing the bike? How much HAB ya think you’ve done? Do you dread and avoid it at all cost? I think of them similarly – means to many ends, but also both laborious and rewarding ways to move in the BC. Could not begin to tally my HAB mileage. Century+?

12. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I HAB for more reasons than most. And I do not begrudge it. My Nirvana is getting to the top of whatever I'm climbing and enjoying the view. Coming back down is just icing.

13. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    This, this, this. I came into mountain biking in what I thought was pretty good shape. In many ways I suppose I was, but those first few climbs were humbling to say the least. I happened to be listening to David Goggins' book Can't Hurt Me at about this same time, and the overriding theme for those that haven't checked it out is that the vast majority of us use only a small amount of our physical and mental potential, including those who think they are pushing themselves. It helped me push through some very uncomfortable moments on the bike, and I was surprised how easy it was to adapt. My brain was kind of like "WTF is this", then "this sh!t again?", to "fine, I guess this is what we do now".

I like the duality of MTB. The feeling of consistently pushing myself beyond what my brain tries to say I can do carries both a zen and discipline component that I have come to love. Then comes the adrenaline of the descent, and the mental hurdles of pushing myself in a different way. One without the other would be an incomplete experience for me.

Walleye, MrGreedom, scan and 14 others like this.
  14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Started by the most unlikely member to start a thread on climbing, I might add... :whistling:

OUCH - I think I pulled a muscle patting myself on the back. :oops:

MrGreedom, Danmtchl, scan and 10 others like this.
  15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    My God, the poetry flowing from you guys is amazing, profound and really, really enjoyable to read!

MrGreedom, Danmtchl, scan and 9 others like this.
  16. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    I’m definitely in the “climbing is part of the sport” crowd as long as the trails are built properly. We found plenty of that in Oregon this past week, especially at Post Canyon. Nearly 4K of climbing and you never felt crushed. I don’t need to feel like my heart is coming out of my chest and while I’m willing to do it (Mt Elwell comes to mind), I absolutely prefer not to HAB.

All the above being said, MTB’ing is about FUN for me and fitness is just a by-product of that. If it wasn’t fun, I wouldn’t be doing it for Tao or Zen or getting to a view. I don’t know anybody that parks at the top of a climb and shuttles down to ride back up to their car.

MrGreedom, Danmtchl, scan and 13 others like this.
  17. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    For me, there is nothing better than getting an edge and being able to lop off big chunks of bc travel by whatever means. MTB, rock climbing, etc. It’s badass when the sun comes up (or goes down) and you are still taking care of business. Size matters. No way to attain that mindset or conditioning without the cost of entry. Any aversion to “climbing” doesn’t work for that program.

18. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    I read a quote once that said “fun doesn’t always have to be fun”. I got it right away! It’s about the accomplishment, the unknown, the adventure, the conquering and even the fear for me.

Walleye, MrGreedom, Danmtchl and 10 others like this.
  19. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Where is that hamburger grego!

Danmtchl, scan, DangerDirtyD and 6 others like this.
  20. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I’m one of those sick-o’s that thinks broken bones and scars are medals of honor. I think the same way about climbing. I STRAVA EVERYTHING... because I want my stats. I’m more interested in the elevation gain for the day than any other statistic! Climbing for me is earning the right to descend. I don’t mean to sound rigid, as this is only what I expect of myself. In the 30 years I have been a mountain biker, I have shuttled once in Santa Barbara to DH ride and it was ... okay. Even when we shuttle McGill we at least climb before the first drop.

If there is little to no climbing on any ride I feel I was cheated.
    Climbing is strength, climbing is youth, climbing is health, but climbing for me is a friendly status, a recognition. I want to be known as a “Climber”.

But climbing for me can also be near spiritual and therapeutic. I have a bad day? No problem, I go to the Doctah! Dr. Ascent! I fire off a good climb and my descent is better. When I’m done with a ride and my legs are humming and I’m exhausted, I call that a GOOD kind of tired.

For me a solid climb is essential for a well rounded mountain bike adventure.

Best imtbtrails screen name? : @Earn Your View !

21. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I feel similarly but I use Garmin Express instead to keep track of my stats. We have a some serious climbing in So Cal. My out of state buds are trippin' on our elevation gains.

MrGreedom, Danmtchl, scan and 7 others like this.
  22. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Preach it brother!! This is #truth :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

MrGreedom, herzalot, Danmtchl and 7 others like this.
  23. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Another good reason to climb:thumbsup:

3D9C68C0-785E-426C-988A-CFFFCF41978A.jpeg

MrGreedom, herzalot, Danmtchl and 5 others like this.
  24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Oddly enough, altitude gained is also the only stat that really matters to me as well, though my view on climbing is more in line with @mtbMike. I have no qualms about spending a day riding the chairlift - it's a different sport. Very demanding physically.

MrGreedom, Danmtchl, scan and 9 others like this.
  25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    HAH!

Well, better get them legs pumpin'!

MrGreedom, Faust29, Danmtchl and 6 others like this.
  26. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    D. All of the above.

Edit: and below.:thumbsup:

27. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I agree with all of this.....

To me climbing is as much about mountain biking as the bike is. It is not mountain biking without climbing. I take pride in the fact that I can climb...that I am a climber. No, it has not always come easy, but with some effort....I truely do enjoy it.

I like big ascents. I like technical ascents. Fighting the laws of gravity the whole time.

Climb on....and don't stop.

28. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    OK.......Mtb Haiku!!

Climbing, cranks turn, grunt

Keep going, anaerobic

Freedom, flow, go , flow

Mikie, MrGreedom, mike and 8 others like this.
  29. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    This is why I climb....MDO on a Sunday

1676B697-AB29-4497-B576-D5232FE3A835.jpeg

Walleye, jimbowho, Mikie and 14 others like this.
  30. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    [QUOTE="Mikie, post: 186365, member: 1”]In the 30 years I have been a mountain biker, I have shuttled once in Santa Barbara to DH ride and it was ... okay.

Best imtbtrails screen name? : @Earn Your View ![/QUOTE]

Thirty years and ONE shuttle?

Haven't you ridden Palm Canyon or the Cannell Plunge? How about the entire SART ride? I know there are some beasts/psychos that climb UP the roads to do those rides but they are the .001% of all people on those trails. The Whole Enchilada, The Whole Uncolada, ATCA in Oakridge are (3) I can think of that you probably won't be riding UP just for the Strava stats.

I agree though that there's a certain "feel good" aspect about some climbs especially when it's one that's destroyed you in the past but yet on this particular day, you feel like you could keep going.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?