Cook's Corner

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by Faust29, Jun 24, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Lovely... You have to be a special kind of stupid to play chicken with a 5-6 thousand pound vehicle. Liquid courage at its finest!

I'd love to say I haven't seen this quite a few times down there.

NY Post video on Cook's Corner...

herzalot, kdiff, ~JB~ and 6 others like this.
  2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    What a piece of work.

3. -ROCKY-

-ROCKY- Well-Known Member

Name:
    Rocky
    Aw. I was hoping they'd end up ran over.

4. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I don't want to see anyone run over, but the way they act, it's inevitable... My favorite is still the swarm that passed me using both lanes and both bike Lanes with oncoming traffic, and roadies in the bike lanes. The lead moron had to be 3 inches off my passenger mirror when he went by in the bike lane. If I had been spooked, he'd be a long red stain...

2 more dead bikers on the 74 the other day... Failed to slow for a previous accident scene.

herzalot, Cyclotourist, ~JB~ and 4 others like this.
  5. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Just got my haircut today by my barber who used to live in Silverado Canyon. Told me how he just recently sold "his last Harley" because it was too dangerous to ride a motorcycle anymore. Had quite a few stories to share about bad accidents - as well as a fair number of "one vehicle only" accidents when people were on motorcycles when they shouldn't have been.

Apparently there was an accident on Live Oak this Saturday AM - involving only a motorcycle that went off the road(?) At least that's what he said he heard on the Police scanner.

I watch that video and think... one day they're going to piss off the wrong person.

6. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Born Free bike show was this weekend out at oak park. It brings out ALL OF THE HARLEY KOOKS! As if there isn't enough of them on the road anyways.

7. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Heading out to BStar on Friday eve I had a bunch of them pass me using the bike lane. Good thing there weren't any bicycles using it.
    I'm not anti motorcycle at all. Just anti jerks.

It's getting close to us all needing 360 cameras at all times.

8. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Just got a camera setup for my wife's car.

Have security cameras for the house more or less everywhere - this after a kid totaled one of our cars parked on our DRIVEWAY and tried to suggest we were at fault. And a tactical shotgun. The cameras are on the outside, the shotgun is on the inside :) Wife had me pick it up after I scared her with my "what happens if Ebola breaks out in Nicaragua" stories.

Reminds me of the classic scene in LA Story...

9. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Got a front and rear view cam on my latest trip to China. Got it on the van. Maybe I'll catch a meteor or something cool rather than some random asshōle!

10. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I was riding up Santiago yesterday back to the Whiting horse farm entrance, and a lady in an SUV pulled right into the path of a motorcyclist. She never even turned her head to look right. The motorcyclist did the death wobble but held on. It was really close, and even though I was on the other side of the road, it would not have taken much of a Final Destination scenario to take me out as well.

I hate riding down Live Oak and that part of Santiago, LOL.

11. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    My third (solo) motorcycle crash (on the street) convinced me I'm too inept to ride them. :whistling:

12. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I live very close to cooks and commuted in Santiago canyon for years. Oh the stuff I've seen!

Sunday drove Santiago canyon and has a Moto pass me on the left at 70, maybe 10" from my left mirror. Can't believe people think that little of their own life.

On another sad note, a friend of mine died about a year ago on his Harley in a solo accident. Was such a nice guy, and loved to ride. RIP Brian, you're missed.

herzalot, Cyclotourist, ~JB~ and 8 others like this.
  13. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Saw a guy on a motocycle bite it on the 5 Freeway in the northbound commuter lane in a solo accident. He was going about 80. I was in the regular traffic lanes and just as he pulled up parallel to my car, he either hit something on the road, or suffered a catastrophic equipment failure. Imagine if someone had shoved a steel pipe into his front wheel at 80 mph. There wasn't a vehicle close to him when it happened. His bike exploded into a million pieces and he rag-dolled down the road for quite a distance. As soon as I could get to the shoulder I called 911. It was just before the Ortego exit, and a police car was there in less than two minutes. Fortunately the traffic in the commuter lane was not heavy and people were able to stop before the crash site. I hope the guy survived... but I'm not certain.

After witnessing that, I will never ride a motorcycle.

bvader, Cyclotourist, konakc and 7 others like this.
  14. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Only in Orange County. :rolleyes:

I can say that this sort of thing used to happen up here (Sons of Anarchy) where I am but they got chased out by the Mexican gangs.

15. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    The Ridgeline intersection is also bad for that type of behavior... I spilled my Red Bull there last week on the way to Black Star when a minivan pulled out right in front of me and then struggled to get moving up the hill. I went from 55 to 5 as quickly as a 6000 pound vehicle can. :confused: We've also had cars pull out in front of us there while coming back down the road on bikes. Nothing introduces the pucker factor like cruising downhill at 35+ and having a soccer mom pull out in front of you. :facepalm:

Yeah... It isn't just the motos that are nuts on that road. It's not uncommon to see a group of Subarus pulled over on the side setting up their GoPros on the hoods. Gotta record that winning run through the canyon! I wonder if they use Strava...

Rant over. People suck. Entitled assholes suck more.

16. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    Before the toll road was put in, it was not uncommon to witness the remains of high speed head-on fatal collisions leaving car parts exploded over a large area on Santiago Canyon Road, " The Road of Death." One thing I've encountered too many times is a vehicle driving 10 or 15 miles per hour under the 55 speed limit when it's single lane and speeding up to 75 mph when it becomes double lane, to prevent other vehicles from passing them. :thumbsdown:

17. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I witnessed it going up and coming down from Big Bear yesterday on Hwy 330. That's a selfish driver for ya, right there.

18. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    The only way to get away from motor-powered dickheads is to get as far into the dirt as you can. And that's not a guarantee anymore, either.

I'll say it: I don't relish not being able to ride with my friends, but I do not miss OC or SoCal at all.

19. kdiff

kdiff Member

Name:
    Kurtis
    Current Bike:
    Nomad4 & 26” 5010
  20. Stubborn Approach

Stubborn Approach Member

Name:
    Tony
    Current Bike:
    2022 Pivot Firebird
    I was wondering what was going on Saturday after Motorway trail work. The usually calm drive back to Irvine was a zoo with boneheads on motorcycles.

mtnbikej and Cyclotourist like this.
  21. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Ive been ridin motos all my life... sold my last one bc i needed seed money to start livin in seattle...
    Now i can buy a moto but havin two kids just stopss me..
    I know myself well enough.. if it can go 100 plus.. i have to take it to the limit...

22. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I saw a story and the video of this incident on NBC LA. Definitely not the best publicity for Cooks. Too bad a few drunks are making them look bad ... we should all appreciate them for allowing us to park there for our Luge rides.

23. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    I don’t think it makes Cooks look bad. It makes Harley riders look bad. I guess you could say they are just acting as expected. Badass bikers, don’t fook with them.

24. mtbfan

mtbfan Member

Name:
    Sylvia
    We live very close to Cook's too, and it is such a great place to hang out and watch live bands. We had a few conversations with the staff regarding the mountain bike parking in the back, and I am thankful they let us, but it sure would be nice to see more mountain bikers at Cook's after their ride to support their business. Most leave right after the ride, and I think Cook's would be happy to have a few more stop by afterwards. Not sure what happened, but I used to see a lot of mountain bikers frequent Cook's in the past. I would hate to see the parking lot being closed off for mountain bike parking in the future. On another note, I would never ride a motorcycle myself for the reasons mentioned here. I don't even ride my road bike through the canyon anymore. I also don't get how CA allows lane splitting. That is the worst, in my opinion. Having a heavy motorcycle squeeze between cars at high speeds makes absolutely no sense to me at all.

25. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    You have a good point there but frankly, each time we have parked there in their side parking lot, Cooks was slammed. And when we returned, it was still slammed. It did not looking inviting due to what would seem to be an overly busy place. I'm happy for them, it seems like they have a good thing going because even when I have driven by in the past, it's always been slammed.

Cyclotourist, DangerDirtyD and tick like this.
  26. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I would go in, but I am not comfortable leaving my bike in my car. On the weekends they are always slammed. Weekdays you can be the only car in the MTB lot.

27. kdiff

kdiff Member

Name:
    Kurtis
    Current Bike:
    Nomad4 & 26” 5010
    I would be tempted to stop in if it wasn’t common for motorcycles to buzz me on my way to the trail. It’s not the most welcoming feeling. I don’t need to take the risk at this point in my life and get sucked into some losers drama because they don’t like cyclist and they start hassling me while I’m eating or whatever. If they provided a donation box/etc I would contribute a few bucks and I don’t ride there much these days.

It’s odd to me how many of us love our two wheeled vehicles for the the same reason (e.g. freedom they represent/provide, the connection to the bike, being outside, etc), regardless the method of propulsion, yet many of us treat the other groups like Sh!t. Motorcycles treat cyclists like Sh!t and do the same stuff that they hate cars doing to them. Road cyclist and mtb’ers often won’t wave to each other. Road cyclist are the most cliquish of all and often won’t even acknowledge other roadies. This whole thing is perplexing to me.

28. mtbfan

mtbfan Member

Name:
    Sylvia
    Actually, the bikers at Cooks are really friendly for the most part, and we have shown up in Spandex on our Road Bikes even. Never had a bad experience. Heck, we were there a few times when the Mongols showed up, and right next to them were Girl Scouts, selling their cookies. It was a funny sight for sure. Most of the bikers are lawyers, doctors, etc and not the rowdy ones going to the "Born Free Events". You should give it another chance and ride your bike in through the back. We never have a bad time there. The only place with a beer garden, good bands, good drinks, and a mixture of various cultures, and soso food ( but who cares after a good ride).

29. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    And their breakfast burritos r good...

30. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    In alcohol consumption, everyone is friendly until just one person crosses the line. Then the sides team up and the trouble escalates. Just like the video shows.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?