Best Shoes for Riding Flat Pedals?

Discussion in 'Shoes' started by Mikie, Dec 20, 2014.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Dirtrider....

Dirtrider.... Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    what does low volume mean? in the market for new shoes. my 510s soles are wearing fast. no one seems to have anything in stock. even Jenson didn't last time I was there a month ago.

2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Are you guys "wearing out" the soles where the pedal makes contact or is it from walking in them?

Dirtrider.... likes this.
  3. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Low volume = doesn’t take up a bunch of space = narrow shoes not made for people with wide/fat feet/high arches/etc.

Dirtrider.... likes this.
  4. Dirtrider....

Dirtrider.... Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    for me its where the pedal makes contact with the shoe sole. not from walking in them.

SnakeCharmer likes this.
  5. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    mike and Cyclotourist like this.
  6. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C
    My pedal pins usually do most of the destruction.

mtbMike, Cyclotourist and Derkderkall like this.
  7. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Yes, that's my experience too because I never wear them unless I am on my bike.

8. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Have to shout out for Five Ten Guides.

5404-10-5.jpg

You say the mid-sole is narrow; I say it's wide enough. I could not tell any difference performance-wise between these and bike-specific Five Tens I've owned during my diverse ride yesterday. These fit and feel more like a Impact Low than a Contact. The Contacts were not very durable, as the soles got rapidly chewed up by pedal pins. Impact lows a little boat-y and clunky. Guides have a generous and protective toe box, and more comfortable for walking than either. Fit-wise, a tad on the narrow side, but I sized up and use insoles to customize the fit based on what I'm doing.

I've used numerous "approach" shoes for flat pedal riding. They've all performed as well or better than bike-specific flats shoes. I can use Guides for rock climbing approaches and for the climbing itself on some routes. The only reason I would have for trying another bike-specific shoe is if these Guides self-destruct in short order. Other than that, Guides are a perfect shoe for me. A little more robust than the Scarpa Crux, which I've run a bunch.

Cyclotourist and sir crashalot like this.
  9. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Unfortunately those are a bit too narrow for my wide feet at the toes. Above I posted up a similar shoe Altra is coming out (grafton) with a sole that looks real good for flat pedals that will hopefullt fit me!!

Cyclotourist and mike like this.
  10. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I really, really, really wanted to like these, but they just didn't fit my foot well enough. Too firm, and too scrunched up in the toes. That was with a size 11, and I wear 10.5 in most shoes. So far their Aescent model works best for me. I just wish it was a bit narrower in the heel, and that the toe bumper was larger in the front.

mike likes this.
  11. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Got ya, David. So it goes with feet... I agree that they are firm. This is one aspect that works for me. Very comfortable for walking, shrugs off rock strikes, svelte profile,and hopefully provides some long-term rigidity. The clincher for me is that I can grind my feet into the rock without my toes being crushed – a rare quality in a “tennie.” Glad you found a solution. I’ll look out for the Aescent.

Cyclotourist likes this.
  12. FizzyCola

FizzyCola Member

Name:
    Dr. Thunder
    I'm looking for a pair of shoes for flats (making the conversion from clips after many, many years) I've narrowed it down to the Five Ten Freerider and the Five Ten Impact. I know the Impact is more bulky and heavier (not too concerned with the weight) and offers a bit more protection. Anyone have experience with both of these shoes? I don't ride all that often, so I'm sure they'll last me a lifetime. Are the Freeriders a bit more flexible in the sole than the Impact? I had some of the "high top" Impacts many years ago, and liked them, but wish I got the low.

BLAA_D1.jpg

BLAGRE_D1.jpg

13. Stubborn Approach

Stubborn Approach Member

Name:
    Tony
    Current Bike:
    2022 Pivot Firebird
    My freerider soles didn't last long before the pedal pins ate through them, and they dont have anything in the way of toe protection. I won't be buying them again, it is down to the RC Wildcat, or the OG Impact as the replacement.

mike, FizzyCola and Cyclotourist like this.
  14. FizzyCola

FizzyCola Member

Name:
    Dr. Thunder
    ^ Thank you. The lack of toe protection has me leaning toward the Impact. I'll take a look at the Wildcat.

**The RC Livewire looks pretty cool as well.

mike likes this.
  15. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I have been wearing the Impact for 4 years. The toe protection is very good. I have taken a few rocks to the toes, one of which I felt would have probably broken my big toe if I had been wearing shoes without good toe protection. Do they still sell the Impact? I was under the impression they were discontinued.

mike, Cyclotourist and FizzyCola like this.
  16. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    I just got a pair of the new Altra Grafton https://www.altrarunning.com/shop/outdoor-adventure/mens-grafton-alm1965f

Fits great, nice and WIDE! Pedaling on street Rubber seems very sticky and similar pattern to 510. Comfortable midsole, if a little thin. Doesn’t seem as protective as a bike-specific shoe but I was expecting that, will use my rideconcepts for the gnarlier stuff. Will report back after a ride.

mike, Cyclotourist and FizzyCola like this.
  17. Stubborn Approach

Stubborn Approach Member

Name:
    Tony
    Current Bike:
    2022 Pivot Firebird
    The Sam Hill model is still being sold, and I have seen old new stock on eBay in my size every time that I look.

18. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I'm on Freeriders and I am very happy with them. Its true that the souls are being chewed a bit by the pedal pins but I think that should be expected. Souls are firm but not stiff. They would be comfy enough to wear all around, IMO. Traction is fabulous. I am getting fairly well adjusted to using them after many years of clipless only.

19. FizzyCola

FizzyCola Member

Name:
    Dr. Thunder
    Thanks for the input fellas. I went ahead and ordered the Five Ten Impacts at lunch time.

20. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I like the look of those... Freeride's punch my toes too much, even when sizing up to the next 1/2 size. The wide toe-box on those look great!

https://www.altrarunning.com/shop/outdoor-adventure/mens-grafton-alm1965f#hero=1

mike likes this.
  21. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    You may still need to size up 1/2 size in the grafton... I did... its a little short, but width is there! my foots length is actually 12-12.5 but I wear 13's in ride concepts, 510s, and (running shoes) hoka, saucony and in altras 13's are a bit big but i use thick socks with them the 12.5s are just a bit too short. i could barely get my foot into a 13 freerider, impacts were "ok".

22. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Noted, thanks!

mike likes this.
  23. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Well i went for few rides in the Altra Grafton.I really like them, the mots comfortable shoes ive ever used for riding.
    Pros:
    WIDE!! I have wide feet and all other purpose-made riding shoes Ive ever had were too narrow (Ride concepts hellions arent too bad though.)

Grippy! The rubber feels almost as good as five ten. Feels great on the pedals.

Plush comfortable running-shoe style midsole-if a little thin. but I use sofsole arch insoles instaed of the stock ones, adds a little thickness.

Flexible-excellent for hikeabike.

Look good off the bike too. Actually wore them to work today pre-ride.

Cons:
    width (haha). If your feet are too narrow, you may not feel laterally locked in with these.

Outsole would be even better if just a tad wider

Not a whole lot of protection-theres a toe cap but otherwise the upper is a softer material. Think freerider not impact. I wouldnt use these in the bike park or on gnarlier rocky runs, more for general trail/AM riding.

sole is not stiff-if you are a masher or singlespeeder you may not like that. I'm a spinner and take a relaxed approach to riding, also have sensitive feet so prefer the soft feel.

Look like they may not deal well with getting wet-i guess ill see at some point. And of course long term durability remains to be seen, their running shoes ar not known for lasting a very long time.

Digging them!

edit: Just realized I posted this on mtbr 2 years ago:
    what im looking for is a shoe that fits my super wide feet, with a cushioned but not overly flexy midsole (think Altra or Hoka trail running shoe) with a sticky rubber outsole with some shallow lugs for hiking traction

Somehow Altra was listening!!

24. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Thanks for the report, Gary.

@FizzyCola, fwiw, I got so-so durability from Freeriders; Impact Low and Sam Hill have been bomber, if a bit boaty to walk around in.

The Guide Tennie I posted upthread is working out well enough that I got a second pair. I’d put them on par with Impact for my riding. More comfy for hiking. The only open question is durability.

25. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Thanks for taking the time for the write up, Gary! Do the Graftons narrow down for the heel, or or they still wide back there? I have REALLY strange feet from wearing Birkenstocks for 30 years: While my heel and arch are quite narrow, my toes are really wide and splayed out. So I need wider/roomy toe box, but narrow heels. I normally accomplish this by sizing up. TMI for everyone???
    Thanks!

DangerDirtyD, Old&InTheWay and mike like this.
  26. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    I also have narrow heels. Heel is maybe a bit wide, but worked for me. midfoot to toebox is wide which I need. Altra has a free return policy so...
    I always order my "actual" size (12.5) and 13 and compare.
    the 12.5 might have worked with thin socks...but I opted for 13's with thick socks, since the outsole is a tad narrow compared to riding shoes; i maximise the pedal contact surface. and i prefer shoes on the loose side.

27. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Yeah, I do the same!

Old&InTheWay and mike like this.
  28. FizzyCola

FizzyCola Member

Name:
    Dr. Thunder
    Excellent. I'm only a weekend warrior, averaging 15 mile rides. I'm hoping that the Impact's will last me a very long time.

29. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    My second pair of Impact Lows seemed a bit less durable than the first, but they both took a long beating before retirement. (Changes in manufacturing, yada?) The wife's Sam Hills show no signs of giving up. I think you'll get long wear out of them. Welcome to Flatland, enjoy the Impacts!

30. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Good luck.... 5-10 seems to have changed the glue they use or their manufacturing process since being acquired by Adidas. On the last 3 pairs of Impacts I've had the toe and sides of the soles have peeled away from the shoe. On another pair the entire sole separated from the shoe. Toe separation would eventually happen on pre-adidas pairs too but I had some of those for 5-6 and they never got as bad as the recent pairs were at 6-12mos. I don't think wearing them vs not is the issue, the glue seems to deteriorate over time. Hang on to your receipts.

I've gone over to trail running shoes like sir crashalot. La Sportiva Akyras. Very light, insanely comfortable and great for hike a bike. Not as sticky and minimal protection so watch for toe strikes on cactus. I still use the 5-10s for burlier rides.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?