Breaking News thread!

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by SnakeCharmer, Apr 10, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    I just get frustrated at the hypocrisy. We create this massive infrastructure around animal shelters because people refuse to be held accountable for treating their animals humanely... and then people pat each other on the back for solving a problem caused by someone else. They are treating the symptoms... and not the cause. And so the people who CAUSE the problem just continue to go on causing it... because we are making it ever EASIER for them to continue to abuse their animals.

Beating a dead horse here, figuratively.

Redman, Mikie, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  2. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Throw those people into the croc pot too and have a chili pot luck at work...or at the pool party...or next group ride tail gate. It’s only fair.

3. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I do understand frustration with domestic animal overpopulation.

Irresponsible former pet owners are just part of the reason shelters exist. Some owners have become unable to care for/support an animal, displaced or otherwise fallen on hard times. Strays reproduce. Shelters connect with the community and promote awareness.

It’s anyone’s prerogative to believe that taking a breeder dog over a rescue is the right thing to do. Likewise, it’s his choice to believe that people like the adoptees you’re conversing with here are perpetuating the overpopulation problem. In a perfect world there would be no problem. Welcome to earth.

PS: Maybe we should discuss inbreeding...

Mikie, Danmtchl, -ROCKY- and 2 others like this.
  4. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Naw, it's just my attitude about society in general. I agree with taking care of people who can't care for themselves - or who, through no fault of their own, suffer from emergencies, tragedies, acts of God, etc. I DON'T agree with taking care of people who WON'T care for themselves, and who through selfish, irresponsible behavior create societal liabilities.

Mikie, Danmtchl, -ROCKY- and 3 others like this.
  5. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    36BB1698-042C-4DD0-8E78-1FA218019F55.jpeg We’re making America great again...because it apparently sucked for a while, you know, which is why people were no longer immigrating here until we started making it great again. o_O

6. -ROCKY-

-ROCKY- Well-Known Member

Name:
    Rocky
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

7. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
  8. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    about hot dogs..
    My immigrant friend asked me.. "a man cut me off on way to work. at stop sign he said, "my bad dog." the man did not have dog, nor did I. What he mean, my bad dog. He not know I have dog or not. He did not look mad. what he mean?"
    Oh.. did he say it like this, "my bad, dog."
    yeah yeah..
    how about all the coyotes that eat dogs? what we gonna do about them? They eat hot dogs in the summer and little dogs at night..
    I ran blindly trying to find my dog's killers, or at least .. a part of my dog.. I wanted to at least get her collar to bury her.. but that coyote gang did not leave a scrap.. only the blood soaked grass in my front lawn... blind rage makes you wanna do crazy things...I ran thru bushes in the dark chasing after ...

I miss my dog, Sandy... she lived good for 12 years....sigh..

9. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    That's heartbreaking, @konakc. Sorry that you had to go through it. I hope you have a new companion, or are considering it.

10. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    My neighbor screamed, I came around and she said a coyote had just taken her dog Darby. It was daytime about 4:00 pm. A week later I was out on the local trail and I found him, or at least pieces of his woolly white fur. I did not have the heart to tell her I found him.

I lost my little black dog on our very first bike ride. Last I saw her she was running from bikes the wrong way on top of the ridge. I went out looking for her all night and lost my Mtn Dawg while I was out. Man down two dogs in less than an hour! I looked very hard and found a collar with a phone no and the name "Stinky'. I called the number but nobody answered and they never called back. I went back home at about 10:00 Pm with no dawgs and a heavy heart. I got up at 2:00 AM and Mountain Dawg as at my door, no little Blackie. I got ready to leave for work at 6:00 Am and there was little Blackie at the front door. She had a piece of Cholla hanging from her lip. Dawgs are amazing, they can follow a scent trail for miles in the dark.
    Happy lost and found trails

11. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Yes. So glad ur dogs came back..
    Thx for sharing..
    One of my favorute things to do was run bike w my dog at chino hills north ridge on mondays

12. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6

Great story

13. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Never mind.

Mikie and Danmtchl like this.
  14. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    KC I love you like a brother, but you should know better than to leave a small dog in a back yard in SoCal in coyote territory. It's like me being upset about herons that come to try to eat my koi. I don't blame them for being herons, nor do I blame them for being hungry. However my koi get protection because otherwise they would be gone... as I expensively learned years ago.

My neighbor left their small dog out in their back yard all hours... even when they weren't home. They thought that as long as they had a doggy door into the garage that their dog was "safe". Mother Nature came calling in the form of hungry coyotes, and they came home to bits and pieces of Fido all over their yard. So what did they do? They bought another small dog, and did nothing else differently. At some point you have to have nature sense. I love seeing bears in the wild. But I make sure that when I am tent camping in bear territory I don't keep a bunch of beef jerky with me when I lay down to sleep at night.

That doesn't stop me from feeling bad about the dog. I would be devastated if one of my dogs got killed by coyotes - or for that matter when I go back in the mountains they would definitely be cougar bait. And not the nice kind of cougar, either :)

15. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Have you tried a Box Drivetrain yet. Great stuff, other than the older shifter style, it shifts just as well as the big S companies. Very reasonably priced also.

16. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Bonsai.. my dog was indoor dog but she loved being outside in our yard.. she
    Played w the squrriels.. caught mice for us..and did her own thing durin the day light... i should have known better... she would always tell me when the coyotes were around but as she got older her senses got worse...
    I should have known better...
    Yes our next dog gonna be 24 .7.. in door dog.. but then again... my yard is doggie playground heaven....
    Awe forget it.. i just beeter not get new dog...! ...until i retire...

Mikie, Danmtchl and DangerDirtyD like this.
  17. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    LA Slimes headline today "Series of small quakes felt across inland empire". I follow earthquakes so I got to know. Everything looks normal. 90% of the activity focused on the San Jacinto fault and the rest on the "San Angelo" fault. Not much to speak of. But you need to love earthquakes, without them this place would look like Kansas
    Happy mountain trails

18. yvettessherpa

yvettessherpa Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    YETI Baby!!!
    Mikie, Danmtchl, herzalot and 5 others like this.
  19. yvettessherpa

yvettessherpa Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    YETI Baby!!!
  20. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Congrats to the NBA Champion Toronto Raptors. Great series, great battle.

21. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
  22. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
  23. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
  24. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Huh....
    Gee... did the Board go after the now obvious perpetrator, if it is now that obvious?
    Ritchie would "probably" remember who he snagged a drink from.
    I used to not be cynical, and love Ritchie Rude as a favorite, but c'mon.
    Someone is being extremely innocent and naïve, or someone is lying based on that published statement.
    o_O

25. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
  26. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
  27. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

There are many other trails off Ortega Hwy....which pose a much bigger danger than SJ.

28. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Maybe he was on the road?

29. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Regardless of where he was, I am always stunned (and saddened) when I hear stories like this. I have been all over the majority of those trails, so that means he has probably been over ALL of those trails, 10x more often than I have been. We're talking about a dude who would knock out 100,000 foot months. So for someone with his experience, and probably intimate trail knowledge, to have a fatal crash in CNF...

I think if he were on Ortega and got hit by a car, the story would have mentioned it.

30. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    "Danger" is relative and quite frankly, I've seen just as many if not MORE people get hurt on "easy" trail sections than difficult/sketchy sections. In any case, I saw this on Pinkbike today and he wasn't riding on any dangerous trail at all.

"I was working on the ambulance that ran on him that day. I’m not sure how much I can say due to HIPAA so I won’t delve into the specifics but Mr. Peterson was involved in a bike vs. bike collision that took place on a sidewalk underneath an underpass. We stabilized and transported him a few miles out to the nearest trauma receiving facility. Everything went smoothly. However later that evening, both my partner and I were shocked to learn that he sadly passed away at the hospital due to head injury."

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?