Initial Impressions of the DJI Osmo Action

Discussion in 'Video Cameras' started by tbarnesarc, May 23, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. tbarnesarc

tbarnesarc Well-Known Member

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    Soo, yeah that thing is stable as F :eek:. Did my usual lap after work today which ends on TnA. Super random I know:whistling:. The video is exporting out of DaVinci Resolve as we speak and in 4k/30 and will post the youtube video on this first post once it is up.

Here are my initial thoughts on it thus far:
    Pros:
    • The image stabalization is legit
    • The user interface is better than gopro at least compared to the Hero 4 black
    • The sound isn't as bad as initially anticipated. Will probably add an external mic regardless
    • The footage color corrects and grades very well considering the sensor size/codec/bitrate/etc.
    Cons:
    • There isn't in camera sharpness settings (could be addressed in a future firmware update though)
    • The auto rotate video feature is finicky (could be addressed in a future firmware update though)
    • wish the lens was a wider angle but at least there isn't the typical fisheye look that most action cams have
    After just one run with it I am one stoked barney to say the least:thumbsup:. DJI tends to keep adding more features as time goes on so it will be interesting to see what future firmware updates yield. Will update this thread as I discover more with this camera. I hope this was insight for some of you. :inlove:

Shred on,
    T$

Edit: Here's the video but the camera was pointed a bit too low. You'll get the gist though.

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Can't wait to see the first sick edit!

Mikie and tbarnesarc like this.
  3. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Nice smooth and I can see the trail really well. Improvement fo sho!

tbarnesarc and Mikie like this.
  4. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Looks great in 2160p. :cool:

tbarnesarc and Mikie like this.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    That is awesome that it is without Gimbal! That was really smooth! There was no way in hail I was going to buy a gimbal and then break it along with my camera crashing...:whistling:
    I have always hated the control functions on the GoPro. I wish that on the trail it just had an On/Off switch. I would never want to take pics with my Video Camera. I would rather pull a frame while I was riding.

It would be interesting to see how the new GoPro compares to this.

Thanks so much for taking the time to vid and report! Looking forward to more good fashizzle!

Oh... and I moved it to the Video Camera Forum. Yes, I have a forum for everything but the reason for that is so it makes it easier to find later. :thumbsup:

6. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Are the colors a little warmer than the GoPro or was that just the golden hour lighting at the time? Looked good... I'm guessing that my little Session 5 would have given more blown out results in a few of those spots.

mtnbikej and Mikie like this.
  7. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    @Mikie the GoPro Session does that. Just push the button and it turns on and starts recording (in the last mode you used), push the button again and it stops and turns itself off. Works efficiently and makes the battery last longer.

Faust29, mtnbikej and Mikie like this.
  8. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Thanks Jim!
    @Voodoo Tom uses a Session and I was going to snag a couple, but I heard they quit making them. My next purchase was going to be the latest anti Gimbal GoPro, but I may hold out now with the added competition GoPro is getting. Competition is good!

Thanks!

DangerDirtyD, Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  9. tbarnesarc

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    The footage is color corrected and graded. In that process I warmed it up a tad since it was a little blue. Twas golden hour as well though.

It does actually. What Runmpled said. Been using it for years. The Osmo action has the same feature as well which is great.

Definitely! Just need to camera angled dialed and it should be good to go moving forward!

Mikie, Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  10. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    smooth vid and smooth run!

herzalot, Mikie, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  11. tbarnesarc

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    Fo sho. Need to point the camera a little more angled up though.

herzalot, Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  12. Stubborn Approach

Stubborn Approach Member

Name:
    Tony
    Current Bike:
    2022 Pivot Firebird
    Cool to see other camera offerings, it does the job as well as the price would indicate.

If this was yesterday, I likely rode down this trail shortly after you. :D

13. tbarnesarc

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    Yeah, definitely. Pretty damn good for a $350 camera.

I think I heard you come down right after me but didn't see you as I was already across the cyn. Too funny!

herzalot, Mikie, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  14. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    They don't make the session anymore; but I just got one of Ebay for $50. One of the originals with no stabilization, but hey 50 bucks.

Faust29, Mikie and tbarnesarc like this.
  15. no worries

no worries Member

Name:
    Brad
    Current Bike:
    Jeffsy CF Pro 29
    The field of view is sufficient for chest mount, but seems too limited for helmet.

Really impressed with the stabilization.

Also, great run!

16. tbarnesarc

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    I think the helmet mount might just work. Was planning on trying it regardless. Will post a video once I do so.

Also, thanks! That's a little slower than I normally go but still a fun one!

Mikie likes this.
  17. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    And put your name and an American flag on your handlebars - along with your sponsors. That's what all the cool kids are doing!

Here's another link. Get yours today!

Mikie and DangerDirtyD like this.
  18. tbarnesarc

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    Ha! I actually might have to do that for the purpose of self deprecation of course bruh....:whistling: :laugh:

Mikie and herzalot like this.
  19. tbarnesarc

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    Welp, the camera was dropped off at Fedex this morning due to it failing. It was working fine then last night I tried to turn it on to change some settings and nothing. No lights blinking, no charging etc. Probably won't have a replacement for another week or so since I bought it via B&H which is located in NYC. :bang:

20. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Brutal

21. tbarnesarc

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    As to be expected when DJI launches a new product. Had a similar experience when I owned an Inspire 1 drone. At least I still have my gimbal/gopro setup in the meantime.

22. tbarnesarc

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    For the nerds :geek: on here who might be interested this is a fantastic comparison between the GoPro Hero 7 Black and the DJI Osmo Action. I've been watching Mr. Blooms reviews for years and he does an almost too thorough job. Plus he's British so his cheeky humor keeps it light and fun while delivering the goods. :thumbsup:

Faust29 and Runs with Scissors like this.
  23. tbarnesarc

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    Welp, after almost two weeks I have a replacement in hand:bang:. Probably won't be buying anything from B&H moving forward even though I have purchased a lot of camera gear from them in the past. It took about a week for the defective camera to reach them and another few days to get my refund:thumbsdown:. In this day and age that's a bit much. ANyway, Bestbuy now has the camera in stock so problem solved. Now it's time to give the camera another go this weekend! Will report back once I get some more footage. :D

Faust29, herzalot and DangerDirtyD like this.
  24. tbarnesarc

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    Here's a helmet cam test from last nights ride. The stabilization is great but I am finding that the lens isn't wide enough for my liking. The other thing that bugs me is the obvious exposure changes. Gopro does it too but it is much more natural. The result of the extreme exposure changes on the Osmo make it difficult to color correct and grade. It may be returned and exchanged for the Hero 7 black but I need to test something at home tonight before making the final decision. On a positive note I picked up the paid Studio version of Davinci Resolve and it kicks arrs.

sir crashalot, ~JB~, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I liked it. Good perspective, clear picture. The tinting seems a bit washed, but it was sunset and challenging light.

Interesting sound.

And glad to see you going down the gut!

26. tbarnesarc

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    The Osmo action is out and this is in. Will be testing er out this evening.

2E3F7E86-49F7-451E-AC24-3F827F722AED.jpeg

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?