WTB: beginner mountain bike

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Erckalf, May 15, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Erckalf

Erckalf Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Bronson
    As the title states looking for a used full suspension bike.

5'11/6 foot, 192 lbs

Budget under $750

I've had the opportunity to borrow my friends bikes and it's time to pull the trigger and get my own.

After reading through various threads it seems like the members on this site or more interested in helping people out than ripping people off.

ricke24, Mikie, MolarM and 9 others like this.
  2. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Maybe a touch big, but a good FS bike at that price point is going to be hard to find: https://ventura.craigslist.org/bik/d/moorpark-scott-spark-960/6884772038.html

If you would go with a hard tail, there are more options at that price point.

Mikie, Danmtchl, MolarM and 6 others like this.
  3. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Welcome... If you've had the opportunity to ride a few different bikes, maybe you've got an idea what you like? Hardtail versus full suspension? 29er versus 27.5+, etc...?

There are a couple routes you can go... The first would be to look for something used. You'll get more bike than buying new. The bike that cyclotourist linked to above is a good looking bike, but I'd take one of your more knowledgable friends along to check it out. It may need a lot of work... And these things ain't cheap to maintain. It would not be uncommon to find a deal like that, and then spend another $500 on worn out components. Worn out components make biking a real drag...

The second route would be to buy from one of the local shops. You'll be in a hardtail at that price point. You'd probably get lower end components, but brand new and a warranty. They'd also help you with the sizing... And a good shop will help you out with maintenance tips in the beginning. I started this way on my (about $700) Diamondback hardtail. I put 4000 miles on that thing, and it was still going when I donated it. It was heavy, but it got me hooked!

Think of your budget as a starting point. In addition to the bike, you'll also need to invest in helmet, pedals (maybe), clothes, pump, tubes, water bottle cages, water bottles, maybe a multitool, etc...

Good luck... And you're right about the members here. The ones who join to scam people are shot down pretty quick.

Mikie, ricke24, Danmtchl and 11 others like this.
  4. Erckalf

Erckalf Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Bronson
    Thanks for the tips.

Hopefully I can find a FS bike from a trustworthy member.

Per my friends, don't worry about wheel size. They suggested a large frame.

Mikie, ricke24, Danmtchl and 6 others like this.
  5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    First - welcome to the best little forum around!

Second - none of those who know me will believe I am about to say this - start with a hardtail. You will get a better bike at that price point and you will learn much better skills. And yes, it will be fun. 29er.

Good full sus bikes even used are over $1k. Anything less will be a performance, reliability and maintenance nightmare.

Unless someone on this site wants to offload a great FS bike for $750.

HBkites, Mikie, Derkderkall and 12 others like this.
  6. -ROCKY-

-ROCKY- Well-Known Member

Name:
    Rocky
    Welcome!!! :geek:

Faust29, Mikie, ricke24 and 2 others like this.
  7. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    A good beginner hardtail from a major manufacturer like Trek, Specialized or many others start at about $500. Pay a bit more to get a decent fork and hydro brakes and you're looking at about $750-800.
    Bike prices will be going up soon, again, as we consumers will be bearing the brunt of the increased tariffs.
    Get one soon!

Faust29, Mikie, Fueledbyex8 and 9 others like this.
  8. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Honestly, at your height (six feet) you want a 29er. I echo the above comments and recommend you start with a hardtail, both for the extra bike at that price point and for the utter fun it lets you have. Realistically, your budget doesn't allow for much even used. If possible you want to reconsider that.

My first mountain bike was a 2012 Trek Mamba; a 31 lb hardtail, alulminum frame, hydraulic disc brakes, 3x9 fun machine. In 2013. And even then it was $900. Granted, I bought it new.

What you'll hear more often than anything is spend up front to avoid having to spend later.

Or, as some cycling dude said: Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

Happy mtbiking!!!!

Faust29, mike, ricke24 and 8 others like this.
  9. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    The Sausage King.

Faust29, Mikie, -ROCKY- and 2 others like this.
  10. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Eddy Merckx is the Sausage King???

11. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
  12. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Hey Bud. Welcome @Erckalf !
    I have the perfect bike I would sell you at that price accept it is a small. :(
    2012 Specialized Full suspension Stumpjumper XT Brakes, composite frame in really good condition.

Can you get smaller?
    I will keep my eyes open for you.
    If you come across what you think is a good deal, run it by these hooligans.

You are right, this site wants to take good care of our family members.

Welcome to the family!

Mikie

13. Erckalf

Erckalf Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Bronson
    Being slightly above average height has its perks in some situations. But trying to ride a small mountain bike isn't one of them. I've been comparing Craigslist/offe-up FS bike prices with bicycle blue book but their prices seem too high.

14. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    A lot of folks go to www.pinkbike.com and search their classifieds. They have become the standard for searching for deals. Take your time and keep saving your money. The right bike will come along. But keep asking questions, there are people here that want to help you make good choices.

15. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Where did you get THAT impression? :)

PM sent :)

-ROCKY-, Mikie, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  16. jimbowho

jimbowho Well-Known Member

Name:
    james jim jimmy
    Current Bike:
    GT sensor
    My sister is 5'4" She currently rides a (Park-Pre) <<< I know what you're thinking, "A what?" Anyway she adores that bike I gave her years ago. Here's my offer, I send you a couple Hundo every month until paid. That way theirs no sting. Then when it's time to pick it up you tow me around the GE and do the pick up?? When it's 112 degrees out more than likely. Spitballing

-ROCKY-, Danmtchl, Mikie and 7 others like this.
  17. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Contrary to what you see here Jennifer really enjoyed it while she had it. :whistling:

FB_IMG_1558028158845.jpg

jimbowho, mike, Faust29 and 8 others like this.
  18. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Absolutely!
    Anything to put a good bike in good hands!
    You call the shots and let me know...
    :)Mikie

jimbowho, ricke24, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  19. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    That's awesome @Mikie!

DangerDirtyD, jimbowho, mike and 4 others like this.
  20. Fijirob

Fijirob Member

Name:
    Rob
    Mikie, if this falls through I think the Stumpy might be good for my son.

-ROCKY-, DangerDirtyD, mike and 5 others like this.
  21. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C
    I've known many people who've gone down your route, myself included, and nobody is ever happy until they buy/build the bike they want.

Also, if you invest more, you're likely going to want to ride it more. ;)

Getting the better bike from the get go will improve your overall experience and make you want to ride more. Riding on heavily used dated or entry level components can be detrimental on the riding experience.

Borrow your friends bike longer if you can. Save up to get your dream bike.

22. Erckalf

Erckalf Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Bronson
    I guess than means I need to sell some of my unused spearfishing equipment..... My girlfriend tells me I have too many hobbies.

herzalot, -ROCKY-, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  23. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Yes! Great advice, if counter-intuitive. :thumbsup:

-ROCKY-, Faust29, HBkites and 2 others like this.
  24. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    Also, try to take advantage of your local bike shops' demo days and rentals from time to time. It can be an eye opening experience even for seasoned riders.

-ROCKY-, Faust29, HBkites and 3 others like this.
  25. Erckalf

Erckalf Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Bronson
    Some of you may think this story is funny.
    A few weeks ago my friends took me to Marshall canyon. The climb was pretty tough yet I workout (CrossFit) 6 days a week which helped me beat them all to the top. Little did I know the front fork was locked out. Coming down my buddies didn't inform me that the front fork was locked and I couldn't believe how jarring the decent was. I definitely went down some narrow trails that were well above my skill level and had to ditch the bike twice. I'd rather have a bike I don't feel guilty about beating up. This is the ride that got me absolutely hooked.

herzalot, -ROCKY-, Faust29 and 8 others like this.
  26. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    haha.. that happens all the time.. I still forget sometimes..
    If you are a free diver, you will be in great shape for climbing..
    If you like mtbking now, you will love it even more... its like a buffet of trails out there ..
    so many trails.. so little time..
    I too recommend you save and borrow your friends bike or just buy from a friend u trust... 750 is tuff to get decent bike unless hardtail...

I had to drop kayaking, diving, etc.. with the kids I have extra time for only one hobby...

herzalot, -ROCKY-, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  27. Erckalf

Erckalf Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Bronson
    If the right deal comes around I'll definitely pay more than $750.

-ROCKY-, Faust29, HBkites and 4 others like this.
  28. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    I also had the similar mentality of having a bike that I didn't mind thrashing/crashing, but the reality is the high dollar bikes aren't brittle or fragile. They're made to take a beating, and you'll never reach that failure point as there is usually more R&D put into those bikes.

I was a craigslist cowboy for a long time moving from one freeride/DH bike to another with the mentality of wanting something bomb proof that I didn't mind getting scratched up. My Bronson, the first expensive bike - and last - I've bought, out performs any of those FR/DH bikes from yesteryear, incredibly lighter, and better engineered.

I've crashed a few times during the 4 years of owning my carbon bike, to include some Snow Summit spills, and it's still trucking a long.

I'm not trying to sell you anything. I just don't want you going down a path where you look back and think... "I could've just gotten that _______, and had a blast since day one. Now I've spent more on the last 5 bikes that were never great at anything aside from alleviating new car door ding anxiety."

-ROCKY-, Faust29, HBkites and 2 others like this.
  29. ricke24

ricke24 Member

Name:
    RickE
    Current Bike:
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010C
    Some of the bike shops have 0% interest for 12 months so you can put some of your money as a down payment and then pay monthly, same as if it were cash. That's one way to do it.

All of us were once newbs at this addiction,I started with a $300 budget because I didn't know how expensive mountain bikes were and was going to start with a basic Target/Walmart bike because I didn't know anything about mountain biking back in 2011. I then started going to local bike shops and started looking around at different bike brands. The cheapest one's were like $500. So I didn't want to spend that much but didn't want a cheap bike so I decided to save more money. I also looked around in craigslist but people wanted too much for used junk bikes and I didn't know anyone who was into mountain biking. Long story short...I didn't know if I was going to really like mountain biking so I ended up buying a Cannondale Trail SL3 hardtail for $865 cash from The Cyclery in La Mirada. I used that bike for 5 years! After those 5 years I decided it was time for a full suspension bike and wanted to upgrade, so I waited for end of season clearance for a great price at Fullerton Bikes (end of July, beginning of August) to get my Santa Cruz 5010c.

If you are patient, you can get some great deals in a couple of months when the 2020 models start coming in or you can find some great used one's from forum members or like @Mikie said on Pinkbike, good luck on your search!

herzalot, -ROCKY-, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  30. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I can only afford one hobby... guess one it is? :sneaky::thumbsup:

-ROCKY-, Faust29, HBkites and 5 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?