Illegal Trail in CDM - Not MTBers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rumpled, Apr 22, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Saw this in the OCRegister.

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/04/...ut-through-corona-del-mar-nature-reserve/amp/

Article says 700 feet of trail showed up in just two days. Also says it's not been done by MTBers. Seems unlikely a trail would be built that fast to me.

Looking at aerial views in Google maps, looks like the trail they mention might be visible. I've been in Buck Gully often, and there are little goat trails all overe there.

mtnbikej, Mikie, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    It was caused by an endless stream of college applicants and their parents looking for a shortcut.

bvader, tortoise, Mikie and 12 others like this.
  3. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Well-Known Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    It is a good article and shows the havoc caused by illegal trail building. It is vandalism.

Mikie, Faust29, Old&InTheWay and 2 others like this.
  4. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I'm curious why they were so quick to say that it wasn't mountain bikers. Sounds like they have the identity of the builder/trasher already...

5. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C
    Thank goodness the rain washed out the fresh tire marks. :D

I'm curious who dug it out too.

6. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    If it wasn't for illegal/wildcat trail building, some of the best trails in many places wouldn't exist. Sedona, Breckenridge, Durango and even Greer Ranch are excellent examples.

7. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    From the article:

"“We’ve never had this happen before,” said Sean Levin, recreation superintendent and senior deputy director. “It happened very quickly. It’s heartbreaking to see the destruction of the habitat that’s been there for 50 years.”"

I'm not advocating for illegal trail building, but let's be clear:

buck gully.JPG
    The Bridge Trail is in blue. Red is Island Terrace. The fuschia is a concrete/blacktop road that goes into the bottom of the gully. The 700 foot illegal trail goes from blue to red (not sure exactly where, it's not clear from Google maps, so I didn't draw it in).

See pic above.

8. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    I grew up in cdm since ‘65, that’s statement is pretty Ficken stupid what about the habitat that has been there for thousands of years before it was plowed over for all those stupid houses filled with aholes on the hills between cdm & Laguna:(. I know the machine must move on...:devilish: and get off my lawn!:mad:

BonsaiNut, Oaken, herzalot and 9 others like this.
  9. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I read the article last night and my reaction was "that sucks, but at least it wasn't mountain bikers." Seeing the Google Earth pic of the entire area has changed my perspective to "who cares?" considering the exponentially greater habitat destruction by that golf course and all those houses. I am still glad it wasn't mountain bikers, but come on.

10. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Well-Known Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    Although it is surely a very very very understandable feeling, it is at the same time not that relevant frankly. Same why the presence of a tollroad through LCWP is irrelevant to whether or not illegal trail building is good or not in Aliso.

Fact is that we actually (still) live in a biodiversity hotspot in terms of both flora and fauna. We are lucky that there is habitat left (the Irvine Ranch, including places like El Moro, was originally slated to be 90+ percent built up, not like the 55 pc now) and what is left should be respected and cared for by all of us. The Gully specifically is also rich in presence of native plants and animals. Whether there is a golf course or an oversized house nearby or not...the plants and animals are there.

I think they did a commendable job by actually adding trails to the Gully in 2011/2012 (although there was a semblance of a trail before, you could not really use it). I remember seeing them lifting the bridges in by helicopter. Surely wasnt cheap. It is a fun single track, very nice for beginners too, great for running as well.

I guess the non-authorized trail in question was made by residents of a nearby neighborhood. Perhaps they could not be bothered to walk to the trailhead..who knows.

Happy riding !:thumbsup:

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?