Just what everyone needs- 1x13

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Faust29, Apr 18, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
  2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
  3. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I was sharing this with my "lower 48" friends yesterday.

Their response: "meh"

Cornholio, Danmtchl and Faust29 like this.
  4. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    So now I'll have to bleed my der, too? :stop:

5. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
  6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I'd like to see a better distribution of gears....the first 7 gears are tightly grouped....then you start making the big jumps. Sorry, but the last 5 gears is where most riders are going to live, and those 4-5 tooth jumps are huge.

7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I think I use like 5 of my 11 gears. The biggest four and the smallest. I’m rarely in the middle of the cluster.

Therefore, I need more gears.

~JB~, Old&InTheWay, tick and 5 others like this.
  8. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Now I won't have to carry a spare derailleur cable with me. Just a bleed kit, or go singlespeed. I could see some riders on here liking that "feature" (though zip ties kinda do the same thing).
    I will say I've come around, and I love more gears. Tighter steps, more range, whatever, give it to me (but not with a der I have to bleed). I wonder, since the indexing is in the derailleur not the shifter, if it can be set for 14 speed, or 15?

9. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Totally agree. My chain sits in the middle of the cog and works up from there. Rarely getting down to the 11.

11-14-17-21-25-29-33-37-42-46....something like that.
    Just changed the chain on my Chisel. New KMC 11spd on a used XT 11-46 cassette. The chain jumps only on the 37T(Aluminum). It's my fault because I spend a lot of time climbing in that gear, before I go whole hog and grab a piece of Granny's 46T. I usually can run 3 chains per cassette but this one only lasted 2...

10. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    You must hate the Eagle pie plate

11. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Nailed it.

It's as though the people designing these cassettes don't even ride mountain bikes and/or spend way too much time in CAD and the theoretical world. Just go back to 10- or 11-speed and fix the steps. It's like they took those cassettes and just started wanking out and adding the big cogs. Then the ramps have to be so big you can't backpedal at all, WTF? At some point you're just creating a problem, and for me, 12-speed was it. Enough sheeple line up for every gear-number advance, eventually a new hub standard will emerge to handle 15 or more. And get off my lawn, too. :p:)

12. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    You can "fixed" that by changing the front chainring.
    For Koko I'm thinking of switching for a 34 to 30, and that would change the gears I use the most.

13. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    Or just go with a smaller chainring and consequently reduce the amount of time you ride on the 37T.

14. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I'm already on a 28t due to the trails I ride around here.

Changing a chainring doesn't "fix" 9t jumps in cog size....

15. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    You have to shift the rear at some point, and the large gaps will be there... Probably a similar feel as trying to hit the range finder in a 75 International while double clutching... :D

Give me a mini cassette with 4 or 5 cogs and I'd call it heaven. :inlove:

Cornholio, Danmtchl and mike like this.
  16. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I thought your mini-cassette only had one cog on it?

herzalot, Danmtchl, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  17. knucklebuster

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    When I went to 11 speed 1x a few years back I stuck with shimano in 11-42 because the steps between cogs were reasonable (and I didn't want to shell out for an XD driver). Now that I've spent some time on 11 speed 9-46, and then back again to the 11-42, definitely noticeably bigger gaps between cogs and not as nice shifting on the 9-46. But the range is really nice (I use all the cogs on most typical trail rides, but yeah I could just coast). I'm not an early or even sligtly delayed adopter type, so no changes soon for me, but I could see where the same range of 9-46 with an extra cog or two in there to tighten up the gaps would be better. Maybe someday...

18. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    NM.

herzalot and Danmtchl like this.
  19. knucklebuster

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Not quite just 5, but minimalist 7. Almost paradise?
    "The SRAM XG-795 Mini-Block X-Dome 7-speed cassette is engineered for the optimized gear steps that downhill riders need. The 10-24t gearing moves in 2 tooth steps, eliminating the need for multiple shifts to reach the gear you want and reducing overall bulk and weight, making it one of the lightest cassettes available. "

20. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I’m still on 1x11 with 28t front and 10-42 back. Given my smaller front I actually do use the lower end of my cassette quite a bit at Oaks.

Yucca for example (for those who know it), I don’t want to be in the very bottom but I like to hit it with my chain on the next one or two up so I can still pedal through some sections. But Barham I am all the way down pedaling a lot and carrying speed but that trail gives you time to shift for little uphills.

I also have some gradual climbing roads I ride to/from the trails where I am 3-4 gears into the bottom of the cassette. Maybe there are a couple gears in the middle I don’t use as often.

I’d be ok with less than 11 gears as long as the ones I used most are there, I really don’t see myself wanting anything more than the 42t our back though. Definitely not looking for more shifts to make over 11.

Old&InTheWay, mike, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  21. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I wish someone would make a 11-42 12 speed cassette and I would definitely make the jump. When I moved from 10 to 11 speed I was disappointed in adding one gear and it not making much of a difference. 13 speed hydraulic drivetrain was a waste of time and money for Rotor.

22. tbarnesarc

tbarnesarc Well-Known Member

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    Hmm, this is an interesting topic. As someone who just jumped from 1x11 to Eagle here are some of my observations. A few people mentioned the Shimano 11-42 cluster is much better than the 11-46 due to that huge jump between last two gears. A solution to that is running Sunraces' version of the 11-46. I had that on my bike running a 28t ring on the front and it worked with great success. The sunrace 11-46 has a much better spread than the shimano cassette with no big jump between the two lowest gears. Now that I'm running 12sp GX eagle I see the advantages. One is that I can now run a 32t chainring which achieves two things; with a 11-50 cassette I get the same basic low gears but much more in the high end. Since the 32t is quite a bit bigger than the 28t it also keeps the chain further away from the chainstay which mitigates chain slap. I was skeptical of 12sp but now I get it. My bike is quite as F and I have more gears on the high end with basically the same as 1x11 on the low end. As for the 1x13 what puts me off more than anything is that it's hydraulic. No thank you.

23. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I keep thinking about the guy who passed me at True Grit last month. He went by going up Zen like I was standing still, so I didn't have much time to look at it... But he had a "mini" free hub, with only a few cogs. If I had to guess, I'd say he had a normal single speed ratio, and then one on either side of it. Maybe in the neighborhood of 22-20-18. It looked like he was running a road derailleur... Whatever it was, it was tiny.

Jason has posted a link before to a company that specializes in that type of custom setup...

As for my current bikes, they are both 1x11... The Tin Lizard has a 32 oval up front and the Hightower has a 30 oval. I'm going to wear out the middle cog on both cassettes, but the other 10 are going to look brand new. :Roflmao

24. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    +1 on sunrace, I’ve used their 11-42 and 11-46 and currently on 11-50 11 speed with 30t ring and gx derailleur (ghetto eagle, but lacks the 9t which I don’t care about). Nice gear steps and great price. However, time for a new one and I’m holding out for ztto’s upcoming all-steel cnc’d 11-50. About the same weight and gear steps as the sunrace but being steel should last 2-3x as long? I’m tired of burning through 2-3 alu cassettes a year (yes I replace chains when they get worn). Zero interest in hydraulic shifting and 11 gear steps is enough for me.

25. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

I removed the 12 spd that came on my Hightower and swapped it with 11 spd.

26. redwoods

redwoods Well-Known Member

Name:
    Patrick
    Current Bike:
    Ridin' heavy
    How does the cost of that cassette compare to others?

Faust29, Cyclotourist and Danmtchl like this.
  27. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Seems the Sunrise are considerably less. Heard good things about the Sunrace so I've been poking around and can't figure out which Sunrace is compatible with the SRAM 1x11.
    Looked for a fitment guide, and asked google too.....nada...

28. redwoods

redwoods Well-Known Member

Name:
    Patrick
    Current Bike:
    Ridin' heavy
    Yeah, I've been using Sunrace cassettes for a while (usually 11-46 on Shimano freehub). They seem to work well for me so far, but if there's a more durable, equal-weight, version I'd be interested. As long as it doesn't cost too much.

29. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    The old version, which weighed 600 grams, had backpedal problems, was just under $5o on Amazon. The new version coming out soon in theory fixed the backpedal issue (in theory). Don’t know what price will be but I assume similar. Yeah it’s heavy but not much more than the sunrace, and steel so should last longer.

30. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    I’m referring to the steel ztto cassettes which cost even less than sunrace. As far as I know any 11 speed sunrace cassettes work with sram 1 x11, I’ve used a gx derailleur with 11-46 and 11-50. But not 100% sure.
    Edit: do you have the Xd free hub? I’ve just used the non-xd traditional cassettes on non-xd freehubs.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?