thinkMTB Club

Discussion in 'Trail Advocacy' started by mtnbikej, Apr 17, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I too was out at the Oaks with @horsebikerider

Right off the bat, I was cold.

Up Oak, saw 2 rattlers in the first 2 turns.

PR’d the 3rd B.

It was pretty clear that I wasn’t gonna get any warmer.

Rolled down Barham Ridge and down chutes. Ran across the high school teams out on training rides.

Nearly got run over by an Ebike that wasn’t willing to give an inch on the fire road.

Got home, never did warm up.

19/1500’

2. Derek13

Derek13 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Smith
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower
    Sounds like you ran into the same Ebike bitch I did. I had to stop and apologize to a nice hiker out with her dog for her behavior and arrogant mouth. The audacity to tell a law abiding patron of a public park to get off a trail because "this isn't a good trail for you and your dog to be on" while blasting by on an illegal Ebike! The hiker had moved far enough over well in time for me to pass going up hill as the Ebike blasted by her and me at same time. I felt the need to affirm that I was not with her and to apologize for the rudeness of a fellow "MTB" rider. Horrible example of trail use, bike etiquette , and just general politeness. F*#k that chick and her battery powered attitude. (If by chance you read this post, I would be happy to discuss your actions and my feelings in person)

That being said, I met a guy with an Ebike recently that I would defend him riding it anywhere he wants. As a majority of the time pedal MTB rider, he just purchased an Ebike to use as a trail scouting bike. You see he only has one arm and needs to know the trail conditions and difficulty before he gets himself in over his head. To him I say charge it up and go enjoy the boost that helps get you out further on trails otherwise inaccessible previously.

Rant complete...

3. horsebikerider

horsebikerider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Suzanne Martin
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy
    Was said rude EBike chick a blonde riding with a guy in a grey jersey?

4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

Fortunately we passed her on the fire road just as she entered the park from Chapman/Jamboree....and she wanted her half of the trail...::eek:ut of the middle.

5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    From your Strava flyby, "Ruthie F." was proudly riding her motorcycle in the Oaks last night.

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

Yep, that would be her.

7. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    Someone Stravas their E-Bike rides????

I wonder if she was the same "friendly" women E-Biker that rudely passed me and others climbing Chutes (Ladders) some time back???

8. Derek13

Name:
    Derek Smith
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower
    She had waited for two men on pedal bikes and met a group of 6-8 at the top of Chutes. Some were wearing grey and maybe red accented jerseys. I said hi/good evening to the men following her with no response back. Maybe an off day, but I have no room or patience for unnecessary rudeness in my life...

Sorry, not sorry if this was a group of riders that use this site. Next time I see you I'll be sure to act as nicely and politely as I always am. Maybe you'll learn something...

9. Derek13

Name:
    Derek Smith
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower
    Wow, you know how to find this person and who she is? The interweb is a tangled mess of info...

10. horsebikerider

Name:
    Suzanne Martin
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy
    I'll keep an eye out for her and offer some friendly etiquette lessons if I see her again. Park users like that give all park users a bad name :thumbsdown:

11. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    @Derek13 ... Don't you apologize for nothing related to this.
    You stuck up for our clan with the hiker she blasted, you were friendly with her group despite her rudeness, and if they belong to imtbtrails they would be getting a private message from me sharing how they would need to immediately change their evil ways.
    Proud of you Brothah!

Ruthie F. has zero activity on her STRAVA. However Ruthie Filtz seems to fit the profile. Is this her?
    upload_2019-4-17_13-27-19.png

12. Derek13

Name:
    Derek Smith
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower
    One on the left as we look at it. Darker hair

13. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I was being nice with only posting "Ruthie F." The web reveals a lot more... :p

Maybe she'll join the site and educate us why it's ok to ride an unauthorized vehicle in the county parks.

14. horsebikerider

Name:
    Suzanne Martin
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy
    I have a good relationship with the head of Think MTB....I went ahead and reached out to him and let him know about yesterday's run ins with her. He was very appreciative that I contacted him as that group is VERY big on trail advocacy and etiquette. She will be talked with.

15. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Is Think MTB the same as Think E-MTB Club?

16. Derek13

Name:
    Derek Smith
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower
    I did some looking around and indeed found that she is a member of ThinkMTB who "strive to be model citizens on and off the trail. We are not about zooming down the trails as fast as we can, we want to be safe, responsible, and caring trail users, who always help others to the best of our abilities." Thank you @horsebikerider for reaching out in a professional manner to her club leader. I'll need to see many positive actions from anyone wearing the ThinkMTB jersey before I give them any of my respect. Thanks again.

17. horsebikerider

Name:
    Suzanne Martin
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy
    Yes

18. horsebikerider

Name:
    Suzanne Martin
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy
    It's my pleasure @Derek13 . Being the race manager for Over The Hump and I am pretty well connected with a lot of the MTB and Equestrian groups out there. I'm not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but with the overcrowding happening in the OC Parks, we have all got to learn to get along before any of our user rights are taken away. I do know that many of the large MTB groups promote good citizen ship and advocacy, so if there is any way I can help educate users, I do. However, I do try to stay neutral when referring to "park users", as there are selfish ones in every type of use (hikers, bikers, equestrians, dog walkers). It's very easy to point fingers at a specific user group when there are bad apples in every user group. But, I can assure you that the other 99% of the ThinkMTB club are super cool bikers.

19. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I have no issue exposing a "pattern" of bad representation...

Thank you @horsebikerider ! :inlove:

20. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Maybe its time to break out the EMP attachments... :whistling:

21. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    On side note .. was ridin aliso.. nit my usual place.. a couple of guys on ebikes passed by.. caught up w them..rode together for a minute..
    One guy said he wouldnt be able to ride wo assistance especially on workday...
    They seemed like any other.. not rude.. no bombing..just out there..
    Is there a place for responsible e bikin? He told me it was illegal... i didnt really even know or care..
    We were going at similar pace...im not sure how i feel about ebikes anymore....
    Lot more fun wo one but i could see why that guy needed an e bike to enjoy aliso..

22. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Well... In that case:

Screen Shot 2019-04-17 at 10.56.01 AM.jpg

23. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Pet peeve trophies on strava.. using ebikes...

24. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    She did record it as an E-bike ride, so it won't matter to real bikes.

25. SAmtn

SAmtn Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Sid
    Current Bike:
    Epic
    @Mikie @Derek13 @horsebikerider and anyone else reading this thread:
    "I am part of the thinkMTB club, I represent our voice to this forum. First, please allow us to apologize for what appears to be a behavior that is in conflict to our core mission ("Play, Promote (a positive MTB spirit), Pay it Forward"). Second, we hope you will accept our commitment that the issue will be addressed internally and that we will not tolerate activity as was described. We know there are two sides to every story so we feel notice is sufficient first action, if a problem persists we will pursue further recourse. We all have bells on our bikes and promote the use of them. Also, I was one of the riders waiting at the top of Chutes. If you greeted me and I didn't respond, I apologize. I'm really very friendly and probably didn't hear you. With respect to e-bike, we know this is a controversial subject and each have their own feelings. We are not expressing a perspective as to use from a club platform, that said, we do have multiple riders with legal allowance for EPMAD and would share that you can't always see the handicap visually. Net/net folks, thinkMTB has been in OC over a decade and does a lot of good for the MTB community....and we will continue to do so. We value our reputation and will make sure it is not put in jeopardy. Thank you for bringing the matter to our attention and hope to see you and greet you w/ a big smile the next time we meet on the trail!"

26. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Hello Sid! (@SAmtn )
    A sincerely welcome you to imtbtrails!
    I moved this all out of "I Rode My Bike Today" for obvious reasons...
    I do certainly wish I am meeting you under much more fun circumstances (like riding a trail together).

No doubt we all have incidents of bad behavior. I would respond exactly as you are and it is very much appreciated. I think we all just want our members to be great representatives on the trail of our clubs, and I'm confident that will be the results here as well.

As the owner and moderator for this forum, please let me know what I can do to assist either publicly or privately.

Thanks!
    Mikie
    imtbtrails

27. SAmtn

SAmtn Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Sid
    Current Bike:
    Epic
    Thanks Mikie. We all just want to get out there and have fun. Unfortunately, stuff happens.
    Hope to meet you in person one of these days.

28. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    eBikes are not allowed in Oaks in the first place, so maybe stop promoting eBike use where they are neither allowed nor welcome.

29. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C
    http://www.ocparks.com/parks/aliso/news/details?NewsID=5523&TargetID=41

"Additionally, the DOJ recognized “Other Power-Driven Mobility Devices” (OPDMD) to be used by “individuals with mobility disabilities.” The DOJ requires land owners and land managers to make reasonable modifications to public access policies and establish procedures to allow the use of OPDMD devices by individuals with mobility disabilities."

I'm guessing, like the one armed guy, it's acceptable from a law enforcement standpoint to ride an e-bike so long as it is associated with a mobility related disability.

http://www.ocparks.com/parks/trails/adaa
    "Electric-powered mobility devices include:
    any mobility device powered by batteries, including multiple passenger carts (three or four wheels), electronic personal assistance mobility devices (EPAMDs - such as the Segway PT), battery-powered bikes (two or three wheels) and single passenger scooters (three or four wheels)."

SAmtn seems well aware of the restrictions on e-bikes as he mentions the people that use them have handicaps.

Maybe this is why there is not a whole lot of enforcement when it comes to e-bikes in OC Parks.

30. Derek13

Name:
    Derek Smith
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower
    Thanks for the follow up Sid (@SAmtn). Looking forward to meeting you and more ThinkMTB members with your same professional and positive attitude. Sorry to blow the whistle on one of your members that really rubbed me wrong the way she handled herself on the trail at that time. Given the many resources the internet provides us these days I was still amazed how quickly my rant turned into a head hunt. I used some choice words describing your member that were relevant to my feelings at the time, but I wish to apologize for at this time. That being said, we all have to remind ourselves that actions still do speak louder than words despite access to social media outlets.
    Thanks again for following up. See ya on the trails.