I Want to Buy Knee / Elbow Pads

Discussion in 'Armor' started by -ROCKY-, Mar 26, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. -ROCKY-

-ROCKY- Well-Known Member

Name:
    Rocky
    Hi all!!! :D So how do you size them, and can you recommend somewhere they're in stock so I can try them on? What are you wearing??? Thanks guys! :)

2. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Just go into your local shop and try some on. Have an idea what your looking for between something light to peddle around in to body armor you put on before hitting the down....

3. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    The Path in Tustin usually has a wall full of pads. I recommend the G-Form pads for trail riding.

4. -ROCKY-

Name:
    Rocky
    Thank you! I guess you're right. Downhill armor might be a bit too much now. I just lost my go to LBS. Went to a smaller place that didn't have any. I'm hoping I can try some on first.

mountaingirl sara and mike like this.
  5. -ROCKY-

Name:
    Rocky
    I like recommendations!!! Thanks I will start looking at those.

mountaingirl sara and mike like this.
  6. -ROCKY-

Name:
    Rocky
    Anyone find anything at like a Dicks?

mountaingirl sara, mike and UPSed like this.
  7. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    That looks like a what? o_O

7iDP has some great pads.
    https://7protection.com/us/

8. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    There are some good ones out there with varying degrees of coverage/protection. I've got a set of Fox elbow and knee pads. They are lightly padded but offer more protection than G-form. I never wear them. I'm not really concerned that I will crash, I guess. Dumb.

9. -ROCKY-

Name:
    Rocky

Smh... I was worried about making a thread, "I Need Some Pads." You still got me Ed!!! :laugh:

10. -ROCKY-

Name:
    Rocky
    Lol, I can see myself not wearing them after a while. These ones you mentioned sounds like what I want. I don't think I want full armor, I'll trade some padding for a little more protection though. Thankssss Ssssnake!!! :p

11. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    I use these also, they’re pretty comfortable!

UPSed and mike like this.
  12. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    G-form for elbow, Poc VPD Air for knee.

As said, the Path has loads of options. IMO, spending a little more for a quality pad is worth it. I've had those Pocs on full duty for literally years, only now are they showing it. G-form...I think of them as disposable. The stitching sucks and the elastic goes south like any elastic does when exposed to sweat and elements. But it's nice to be able to pocket some elbows.

13. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    If you have weekdays free, drive down to the Jenson warehouse. They will pull whatever you ask for out of the back to try on and they literally have 100+ options. Like buying shorts, every company uses their own sizing models so it's always best to try pads on to make sure they aren't rubbing you in a way that will cause you to think they are too much trouble to wear. A few companies are making knee pads with zippers nowadays so that you can take them off w/o taking off your shoes. Some people would probably find that zipper a nuisance.

I don't generally wear pads too often but @pdqmach26 has a set that looks pretty comfy, protect just enough but yet aren't "too much". Unfortunately, I can't remember who makes them. Maybe Leatt?

-ROCKY-, Voodoo Tom and Cyclotourist like this.
  14. Derek13

Derek13 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Smith
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower
    This Sunday The Path is holding their Spring SALE 9-5pm. Always great deals and not just on closeout stuff. Plus you can grab a beer and something to eat.

I'm using the G-Form pads right now and will be putting them on the shelf until next cold season. They are SO hot on my legs. No breathing at all. Very comfortable and stay in position better then some, but too hot for me.

Old&InTheWay and -ROCKY- like this.
  15. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r

7iDP for the win. all day erry day.

16. Stubborn Approach

Stubborn Approach Member

Name:
    Tony
    Current Bike:
    2022 Pivot Firebird
    I am using Ion E-Pact elbow pads now. I have been using G form for nearly a year in this area, under a full sleeve jersey. They need to be washed after every ride, or they will stretch & be too loose to stay in place on the ride. The G form was fine for the speeds I saw on my hardtail, and held up to quite a few tumbles under a full sleeve jersey... but I feel so much more comfortable in the Ion's now, they are certified for impacts using this technology. https://www.mcgearhub.com/motorcycle-armor/sas-tec-armor-review-1-02-knee-elbow-shoulder-protector/

The G form knee/shin pads tore on the first crash (also did not stay in place), so I learned early on G form need to be covered by another layer to stay in place & not be destroyed... ymmv

That led me to try 661 Rage knee pads (now discontinued), the rear webbing caught a pedal and tore on the first ride, but the straps and rest of the knee pads held up to 6 solid months of riding after that. I think 661 makes quality products @ affordable prices, locally... They are starting to show their wear, and will need to be replaced soon.

I have been looking at replacing them with a pair of knee pads that can easily be removed (zipper) & stored on the climbs, to reduce climbing stretch/wear.... Ion K-Pact (zip). They also offer it without a zipper for a bit less. They also offer lighter weight pads K-Traze that are still certified for impacts.

As for sizing, each manufacture is different, so find their sizing chart & make an honest effort to measure yourself in those areas.

There is no way around it, protection gets warm & uncomfortable. The consequences of not wearing them is picking gravel out of your skin, then icing bruises, tendons, & muscles at a minimum... & likely riding with that injury because you wont wait for it heal properly... which starts a viscous cycle.

I think it is super awesome you can go to Jensons and try some on... too bad you cant demo them to see how they react to pedal motions & body heat.

-ROCKY- likes this.
  17. -ROCKY-

Name:
    Rocky
    Alright lady and gentlemen!!! Lots of suggestions!!! :D I really like the idea of just going down to the Path and trying some on. I looove me a sale too!!! :geek: It looks like I have to give G Form and 7iDP a thorough look over!!! :D

18. -ROCKY-

Name:
    Rocky
    Thanks stubborn!!! I'm definitely contemplating going to Jenson's! :thumbsup:

Stubborn Approach likes this.
  19. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    FWIW...

Most knee pads require shoes be off to the put on the pad. If it’s not too big and bulky a pad, you can easily wear em on the calves or ankles, keeping your packed payload in check.

I thought I had to have ones that wrap around, but I like what I have now, a small, simple fitted slip-on pad with memory foam. I have smashed my knee with them, more than reasonable pro. Poc VPD Air.

The wife just got some medium-pro elbows from Fox and she digs em. Forget the model, but they look sort of fabric-y, black/gray.

Luis, UPSed and -ROCKY- like this.
  20. ricke24

ricke24 Member

Name:
    RickE
    Current Bike:
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010C
    I have g form knee pads and they are pretty comfortable, easy to wash, no complaints here yet

-ROCKY- and mike like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?