Palm Epic question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Reyback, Mar 22, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Reyback

Reyback Member

Name:
    ReyMoon
    Current Bike:
    Scott Pro 29er
    Those of you who have done this ride... what do you think about riding hard tail XC bike on this rout? Too hard, crazy, or is it doable? What say you?

Thanks!

Danimal, -ROCKY-, mike and 5 others like this.
  2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I rode my SS out there for about 4 years....and loved it. Totally doable. You can definitely go faster DH on a FS rig, but it's not mandatory.

rossage, -ROCKY-, mike and 4 others like this.
  3. Reyback

Reyback Member

Name:
    ReyMoon
    Current Bike:
    Scott Pro 29er
    Awesome! Thank you!

-ROCKY-, mike, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  4. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Any bike, anywhere*!!!
    *Within reason.

rossage, -ROCKY-, mike and 3 others like this.
  5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    ~JB~, Old&InTheWay, Danimal and 6 others like this.
  6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
  7. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    I just want to jump in here and say that I'd take anything you hear about single speed or hard tails from @mtnbikej and @Faust29 with a grain of salt. :Roflmao

Not because they aren't experienced, but rather the exact opposite. I like me some hard tails, but these two are masochists and uber experienced ss hard tail guys. They ride hardtails (fast) on terrain that I would prefer not to be on a hardtail on. I could definitely do the PCE on a hard tail, but I wouldn't prefer it and I'd be pretty beat up at the end of the day. (fwiw, @mtnbikej is the only person I've had keep pace (or faster) with me when he's on a hard tail and I'm on a fs bike, seriously it's mind blowing to see.)

That being said, I'm not a hard tail guy at heart, and I spend too much time in wimpy full squish mode to slow myself down and pick better lines. If i were riding a hardtail more often, I'd likely be riding with a soft enough touch that 30 miles of chunky single track wouldn't take so much out of me. Most of the trails out at PCE are pretty buffed out, but all of them have little sections of super jagged chunk thrown in for good measure.

8. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    We rode a variation of it on a hardtail tandem. I think you'll be okay. :geek:

9. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Why reyback u going soon? We will be on it tomorrow ...crazy bear shuttles...kc!

Danimal, Faust29, mike and 1 other person like this.
  10. Reyback

Reyback Member

Name:
    ReyMoon
    Current Bike:
    Scott Pro 29er
    Current plan is next weekend. I mainly ride HT, road, and CX... so, i wasn't sure if my HT would handle the trail. Good to know other bike types can handle the trail.

Danimal, Faust29, mike and 2 others like this.
  11. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    A hardtail is fine out there... Probably more important is tire choice, sealant, etc... And make sure you have the ability to fix a flat or three. You'll have a riot out there. :thumbsup:

12. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    And don't forget elbow and knee protection. There may be a cactus or two out there. :)

Faust29, Stkx66, mike and 2 others like this.
  13. Mrtahiti80

Mrtahiti80 Member

Name:
    abe
    You'll be fine

Faust29 likes this.
  14. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Great conditions yesterday..even the sand wash was ok... soft..not quicksand..
    Flowers were amazing..
    Water easy crxin..
    Trail is totally rideable...some elves fixed rerouted washed out sections...
    Season is coming to a close...
    Have fun reyback!

15. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    I uploaded pxs so i thought..

20190323_112943.jpg

16. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    One at a time

20190323_124447.jpg

17. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
  18. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Pce is pretty n awesome..season is comin to a close.. one in our big group overheated n we took him out at the tractors via dunn road...still a grt ride..take it easy! Remember if in 90s u just cant carry enough water..thank God it was a cool day...

19. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    I'm riding PCE Sunday morning with my adult daughter for the first time. We're shuttling with Crazy Bear. Route to be:

Pinyon Pines to
    PCE
    Dry Wash
    Art Smith
    With possible bail out Via Dunn Road to city ( get picked up by wife )/ or continue onto:
    Hahn/ Buena Vista
    Connector to Dunn - Bail out if to much to Vons or continue onto:
    Wild Horse
    Goat Trails to Vons.
    I will have 130 oz of water total, 2 extra tubes, 2 sources of air, I-phone, my InReach communicator, Tailwind ( Thanks Mikie! ) and the other common tools needed. My daughter will have extra water and tubes along with her daily riding gear. All tires have been refreshed with Stans.

Any input would be appreciated-

20. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    After wash.. u hit tractor.. intersectiin for all the trails u mentiined..the big fireroad is dunn... downhill .. will take u to civilization..
    But dont take fireroad..just use as bailout hahn..etc lot more fun..pce us not that bad..maybe ..like blackstar on a hot day?

21. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Nice, Steve... I hope you have a riot. :thumbsup:

After climbing the Dry Wash, you reach the Oasis... It's the intersection of several trails. Hahn Buena Vista is maybe the "easiest" way down. Art Smith is a ball buster, with climbs all the way to the end, but it's the route I'll vote for the next time I'm out there. Hahn and Art do not end up in the same part of town... Hahn/Goat Trails end up near the shopping plaza, while Art Smith drops out much farther up the 74. Google says it's 15 miles on the road back to the shopping plaza.

Last time... We hit both. We started down Hahn Buena Vista from the Oasis, and then turned right on Dunn Road and climbed back to the Oasis, so that we could drop down Art Smith (car at the bottom). That was a tough route, and we really put the hurt on the Professor.

I'm just getting to the point that I have my bearings out there. Others who are more familiar with it will chime in... :thumbsup:

22. Reyback

Reyback Member

Name:
    ReyMoon
    Current Bike:
    Scott Pro 29er
    Great pics... and thank you for the reminder about the heat. The group that I was going to ride postponed the date to 4/13... if it is hot, I probably not going to go. I knew a guy that didn't make it out of there few years back.

Stkx66, konakc, Faust29 and 3 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?