Guerilla Gravity

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews' started by herzalot, Jun 25, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Thanks guys! Pulled the lowers off the fork last night to adjust the travel, it was set at 160 and removing an internal spacer gets it to the spec'd 170. Something went awry even though I followed the MRP video to a t. Maybe hydro lock and spitting fluid through the shrader valves. Of course some got on the brake rotor and contaminated the pads, hardly any brake power. After redo, the fork is better now, but need to either swap in my XTs or buy pads for the srams. I have a few sets of spare pads for XT but none for SRAM.. My XTs have the single mount for brake/shifter, so would have to swap shifter too, which I guess means rear derailer too. Ugh. No ride this morning I guess.

Danmtchl, herzalot, -ROCKY- and 7 others like this.
  2. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Ahh yeah, awesome looking bike! Congrats! I really love the color. Enjoy.

Danmtchl, CBone, -ROCKY- and 6 others like this.
  3. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Agreed, my buddy just bought a 2019 Intense Carbine w/ SRAM Guides after demo-ing it last Monday . He doesn't even have the bike in his hands yet (picks up the bike today at Intense) and he's already shopping for XT's.

Danmtchl, CBone, herzalot and 7 others like this.
  4. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    You know as well as anyone that the time invested in getting it dialed will pay you back handsomely. Enjoy the process!!!!!!! :):thumbsup:

Danmtchl, CBone, herzalot and 6 others like this.
  5. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    What are the go-to Shimanos? I don't need features like reach or whatever, just good clampers.

6. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    The regular XTs were awesome. The 4 piston XTs are life changing. :inlove:

Sassyquatch, Danmtchl, CBone and 8 others like this.
  7. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Definitely XT. Jennifer got the 4 piston stoppers on her new build. I'm tempted to swap them out. Without her knowing of course. :whistling:

Danmtchl, CBone, herzalot and 6 others like this.
  8. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    That good? At twice the price? (Edit - Jenson has the 4-pots for a good price, hmmmm).

FWIW, I like the SRAMS fine except the rear turkey warble. It resonates and shakes the whole bike and is actually a bit dangerous.

Danmtchl, CBone, Mikie and 8 others like this.
  9. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    XT and XTR have been stellar for us. XT is my go-to. I've used 180 rotors F/R forever and never felt brake-deficient. Depending on your weight and riding, you could get by with 160 rear.

Sassyquatch, Danmtchl, CBone and 9 others like this.
  10. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Have xtr trails on my bike. Same pair for about 6 years now. Do an occasional bleed and never had a problem. Shimano for the win!

Danmtchl, CBone, herzalot and 9 others like this.
  11. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    If I were to put new brakes on my current bike I would go with normal XT. I would say I am a pretty late braker and they work just fine. However if I were to build a new bike I would definitely go with the 4 piston.

12. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I'm 190 and ride pretty aggressive and 180 front 160 rear works fine.

13. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    2 piston XTs are all I ever need. 180f/160r. I use Magura Storm HC Rotors because I find the Ice-Tech Rotors to be too fragile, and too expensive.

14. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Extra-medium, LambroGG:

IMG_5985.jpeg

@knucklebuster, you got me really psyched on the color. All business, minimal flash; next best thing to raw. :thumbsup:

15. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Forget brakes, this is what we're talking about!!!

rossage, Danmtchl, CBone and 7 others like this.
  16. knucklebuster

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Great looking bike @mike ! You're gonna put the coil on it right? The superdelux worked fairly well for me today with minimal tuning done so far.

rossage, Danmtchl, CBone and 6 others like this.
  17. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Right on, Dave. Yes, love the coil, but I'm air curious. :geek: I plan on keeping both shocks, because you nevah know... :cool::thumbsup:

Sassyquatch, Danmtchl, CBone and 7 others like this.
  18. knucklebuster

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Yeah I was a little bummed at first that I didn't get to piece all the parts together, but now I've got a few things to mess with after the first ride today. Top of the list is a nasty creak when pedaling that comes and goes.

Re: Brakes.... After replacing the contaminated pads this morning on the SRAM Guides, they seemed to be pretty solid on the Luge. Of course just one ride and a shortish DH, so we'll see.

Danmtchl, CBone, herzalot and 8 others like this.
  19. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Just XT Shimano for the win. In my opinion, they are the standard on excellence in reliability and performance.

@knucklebuster and @mike ! That frame color is the FN Sh!t! To me that is the new Black!

20. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Not Ben’s!

Danmtchl, mike, CBone and 1 other person like this.
  21. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Congratulations, Dave! Sweet, GG MT with MRP! Awesome frame color!

22. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Magura MT5 4 piston caliper brakes. I would say just as good as XT’s, some might disagree but I set them up and never a problem and never a lack of power. I also have MT2’s on my Kona and they work great also.

rossage, Faust29, UPSed and 4 others like this.
  23. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Comparing the two will be interesting for sure. I've only run the Smash in Crush mode so far. Will be interesting to ride the Smash in Plush with the Trail Pistol in Crush to see how they operate as a complimentary quiver, and then Smash in Crush/TP in Plush to see how the fair in a shootout as 1 do-it-all. Truthfully though, part of why I made the buyer's remorse comment is that the reality is that my current skill set isn't likely to allow me to judge the nuances of each bike. It's really just about getting on the bike, feeling good, and having at it. To that end, The Smash is currently crushing it, pun fully intended. I've hit a couple rides that I hit on the Trance 29 I was riding prior to being out of commission. That bike was undersized for me, but not glaringly so. I just remember it feeling really ponderous on climbs, never tracked like I wanted it to, and in general I just felt like more of a novice than I thought I would getting back on a bike after a long time off. One I just mentioned in the "I rode my bike" thread, but another was a particular downhill sections that I hit several different times on the Trance. It was the first legit semi steep rocky sketchy descent since my re-entry to MBT, and it gave me pause each time. I rode it each time, but it wasn't without apprehension, it wasn't pretty, and I was creeping. I hit it again a couple weeks ago on the Smash, but came at it from a different starting point, after tackling some more challenging descents before it. I just bombed down it, not even realizing until right after I'd gotten through it that it was THAT section. Anyway, my frame of reference with current bikes is pretty nonexistent, but jumping on this bike after my previous one has made a world of difference, and upped my enjoyment considerably. It goes where I want it to go, it makes me feel comfortable going fast, and I just feel very in tune with the bike, instead of battling it to go where I want.

24. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Way to go all in!

25. knucklebuster

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    One week in on the Megatrail now. I've done a full ride in Trail mode (Maple-Motorway) and one in Gravity mode (Aliso 5 Oaks, Car Wreck and Lynx... climbing Cholla 2x) and one where I switched to Gravity mode for the down (Luge). I'm getting close on shock and fork tuning, used 90+% travel on 5 Oaks and Carwreck. I guess the thing suits me ok as I also got personal bests on those two downhills, without feeling like I was pushing it too hard. A testament to the bike, it really inspires confidence and feels solid as a rock, I'm just along for the ride!

It climbs really well in either mode... I'm used to a low BB from my old bike and this one pedals higher in the travel, so fewer pedal strikes even in Gravity mode at 13". In Gravity the front wants to wander a little on steep climbs, not too bad in Trail mode. Taking me some time to get used to being more on top of the pedals with the steep seat angle, using some muscles that I didn't before. It did fine on the little spots of "tech climbing" on Cholla, and was able to keep traction on the sandy rock outcrop near the top. My legs are the limiting factor for sure.

Still a bit giddy over it, first new-to-me bike in 5 years, wow things have come along since then! Enjoying learning some new components and sorting a few things out... the hub ratchet upgrade, fork seals and tuning, SRAM shifter/derailler and E13 cassette (awesome range, doesn't shift nearly as nice as XT). Looking forward to hitting LCWP and Moro Sunday :)

26. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Next time you venture out to Motorway, send me a PM. I'd love to see that bike in person! :thumbsup:

27. knucklebuster

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Will do, but I'm way slower on the climb than you, you'll have to do extra credit to the peak and back before I get there :)

Danimal, Cyclotourist, mike and 4 others like this.
  28. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I saw your Motorway Strava... you got there pretty fast. :)

29. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Danmtchl likes this.
  30. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    awesome! Stoked for ya!

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?