Moab on memorial weekend recommendations?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by konakc, Mar 22, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Any trails that is a must do near moab? Gonna hit whole enchilada..
    Should we skip slick rock?
    Any tips greatly appreciated!
    Bucket list trip!

2. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Why skip Slickrock? Have you done it numerous times in both directions? :geek:

rossage and konakc like this.
  3. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Never been to moab...

rossage and mike like this.
  4. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    So dont skip slick rock

rossage and mike like this.
  5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    You won’t be able to do The Whole Enchilada by Memorial Day this year. Maybe by Labor Day.

Cyclotourist, mtbMike, konakc and 2 others like this.
  6. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    That would be my reco. It's just too unique to miss.

Poison Spider, no doubt, will be shuttling up as high on the Enchilada as conditions allow. Still worth riding Porcupine Rim to town from lower than the top of the WE. In addition to suggestions here, check in with Poison Spider on conditions and possibilities.

konakc, rossage and CBone like this.
  7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    https://www.strava.com/activities/145653156

Hymasa-Amasa Back-Cliffhanger-Porthole Arch-Rockstacker-Jackson-Cliffhanger-Amasa Back-Upp
    er Ahab-Lower Ahab

Whole Enchilada is good.....but you will lucky if you can get to Hazard County...Burro Pass will still be snowed in. Most likely will have to start from Kokopeli drop in and do Some Enchilada.

We didn't do Slickrock when we were there, our guide said it wasn't all that great, plus we had ridden Gooseberry Mesa enough times that the slickrock didn't have the same novelty to us.

8. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    IMHO - Try the practice loop at Slickrock. If you love it, do the whole thing. If you don’t you will want to spend your energy elsewhere.

Expect lots of riders on that weekend.

That said I’m glad I did it once. I found it a bit repetitious. If you enjoy the challenge of endless traction slickrock steep climbs you will love it. I don’t remember it being very technically challenging but it is not easy with the grunt climbing involved.
    It will be Hot.

@herzalot is right , Whole Enchilada won’t be open to the top. Even on lighter snow years the Forest Service doesn’t open the upper area to shuttles that early. It should be open from Hazzard County on down. That is about 26 miles of riding to get back to town and over 5,000 ft of descent. Take all the fluids you can and have fun. Make this the priority trail. It will be busy so reserve your shuttle well in advance and get started as early in the day as possible. This area can handle a lot of riders and not be crowded.
    Hot! Drink lots.
    Might not be what you were looking for but I’m bored and maybe a little jealous. Wish I was going.

9. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Slickrock is worth doing at some point but don't sweat it if you don't do it this trip. I didn't ride it until trip #6 or 7 when I was on my own. It is a cool ride, but it can get repetitive if you do the full thing rather than just the practice loop. What made it cool for me were the views and seeing some of the 4-wheelers out there doing their thing as well. There are a lot of rides I'd rather do first, but I'll throw Slickrock in there again at some point. It makes for a good second ride if you do something else that isn't a full day ride. Golden hour would be a great time to ride it.

10. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Lots of good advice above. @mtnbikej is probably right and I am wrong. Hazzard being open might be optimistic on my part but Koko on down is great.
    I’d follow @mike advice and give Poison Spider bike shop a call for advice. Good luck

11. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Thanks all!

Cyclotourist likes this.
  12. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Take a late afternoon hike to Corona Arch.
    Watch the sunset at Deadhorse Point.
    Don't overlook Canyonlands.
    Have a great time.

Cyclotourist, konakc and mtnbikej like this.
  13. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    I'll suggest cramming everything in you can stand, it's not every day you can experience that kind of stuff. A couple three hour loop you can do, to experience it, and there's not much else like it, Poison Spider Mesa and Portal trail. A bit of hike a bike for most. But stunning views and you'll know where you stand regarding exposure tolerance afterwards. PSM has your slickrock going up, watch out for jeeps. Been many years since I did PSM and Portal, could be different now.

Cyclotourist and mtnbikej like this.
  14. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Will cram.. sleep eat ride for 3 full days...

Cyclotourist and CBone like this.
  15. kazindeep

kazindeep Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Norm
    Agree with all of the above, but I like Mag 7 too

Cyclotourist likes this.
  16. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Yep...I've been out there on Memorial Day before and we were able to get dropped at Hazzard but I think it may be Kokopelli this year. UPS/LPS just got several inches of snow the other day but of course it will be gone quickly. @mtnbikej posted a great loop but be prepared to work on that one. I'm one of the few that doesn't think that Ahab is "all that" but Rockstacker & Jackson are a blast if you're into that type of riding. I had a great time on Slickrock and actually didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did. The loop up at Dead Horse State Park is the most underrated ride in Moab for *fun* factor in my opinion. That being said, I suggest Mag 7 on any Moab trip https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/652241/mag-7

mike, Cyclotourist and konakc like this.
  17. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Thanks again all..
    Will do as much of enchilada as possible
    Mag 7
    ??

mike and Cyclotourist like this.
  18. Mtnbikejwl

Mtnbikejwl Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    John Lusty
    Current Bike:
    Nomad
    With three days to ride, I would do what ever sections of the Whole Enchilada are open on day one and day three. Day two would be out Amasa back to Rockstacker and Jackson. If you wanted a bigger day two, you could ride Captain Ahab then back out to Rockstacker/Jackson. On your next trip (because you will go back) go for a couple more days and ride some of the other trails mentioned above. Definitely book your shuttle for Whole Enchilada early. Check out www.coyoteshuttle.com

19. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Wow that good so do it twice!? Partial enchilada? Im drooling..

20. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Amasa rockstacker jackson not to crazy?
    I can ride everything legal local.. oaks ..aliso.. el moro... gooseberry... sart...
    Not over my head ..
    What is a black diamond in our neck of woods?
    Is there any? Chutes? Hawk? Rattlesnake? 5 oaks?

21. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Cyclotourist likes this.
  22. pdqmach26

pdqmach26 Member

Name:
    Bob
    Rockstacker and Jackson have way more exposure than anything in the OC. Still rideable, but you may elect to walk a few spots.

mtbMike likes this.