It’s Hard For Me To Defend Mountain Bikers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hill^billy, Feb 19, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    BOOM, SHOTS FIRED!

2. -ROCKY-

-ROCKY- Well-Known Member

Name:
    Rocky
    While we're on the subject. I'm still learning here. Could someone explain the difference with enduros? Thanks :confused:

3. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

4. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Nothing to see here, just trying to correct some spelling errors and hitting the wrong button. Sorry to waste your precious time!

5. jimbowho

jimbowho Well-Known Member

Name:
    james jim jimmy
    Current Bike:
    GT sensor
    HB, I don't think you're overreacting, you're just passionate about the AT (which I call the "Hillbilly Highway") you clearly put your heart & soul into it. I FEEL YOUR PAIN. I built a 9-mile loop way up on the rooftops of Littlerock in my Moto racing days. laid out difficult for extra fun. We named it the ISDE, "International six days enduro".. Any rider that could make their way to the top signed his/her name on a ledger hidden in a can under a rock pile. Anna Cody made it Yaaayy Anna, number #1 District-37 chick.

Well "heavy sigh" the last final miles dropping down to our secret staging area took months of cutting out bushes, moving boulders and Bulldogging at first just to get down it. (bulldogging is hike-a-bike very downhill.) I get a phone call, my friend says Dude the ISDE is destroyed. It turns out the rock crawling boys went out there and completely erased the single track section. Were talking a 15ft' wide swath. This was the very fun part when you could smell the Cold ones. Sadder is I know who did it, my daughter now 22 took me over to her childhood friends house she met as a kid through me. Her dad was Sergio my X-friend that used to ride moto, I took him there a couple times, but now he belongs to a rockcrawl club.

I'm a bit slow, one day lying in bed it dawned on me that it was probably Numbnuts & crew. Doug what I wouldn't give for it to be bicycle guys cutting course. For some fresh air and getting out of the house go kick some dirt and erase the cheater lines, the E-boys are coming, think what it will look like when we're gone YIKES. PS I will do the same.

Mikie, CBone, hill^billy and 5 others like this.
  6. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Don't cop a 'tude because everyone didn't jump on the sympathy wagon with both feet. Your thread was informative and made everyone think, and your work on the trail, as all thoughtful work, is appreciated. Cheers! :)

7. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    Endurbros are mocked because of their sick fashion sense. They are also characterized as being a group of trail users that are more likely to only ride downhill, not maintain trails, and ride in a manner that does not conserve a trail. i.e. millenials on mtb

While in actuality Enduro is just a discipline of mtb racing
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enduro_(mountain_biking)

Faust29, mike, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  8. -ROCKY-

-ROCKY- Well-Known Member

Name:
    Rocky

Thank you @MrGreedom !!! I would've never put that together! :thumbsup:

9. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    I think I understand how you and @hill^billy feel. You invest time and effort and take ownership - No, stewardship - regarding the trail. When few to none were caring for it, or riding it, you were there. Others just don't have skin in the game.
    Thank you @Mikie and @hill^billy :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Redman, scottay, mike and 3 others like this.
  10. BIKEMONSTER

BIKEMONSTER Member

Name:
    BIKEMONSTER
    Current Bike:
    Vintage Stumpjumper

Yeah, for the OP, authoring a thread like this is kind of like poking the old hornet's nest. LOL

...But some things just need to be said.

Cyclotourist, UPSed and mike like this.
  11. BIKEMONSTER

BIKEMONSTER Member

Name:
    BIKEMONSTER
    Current Bike:
    Vintage Stumpjumper
    Great thread HB.

You know who those riders probably are don’t you? They were likely the local crew from Squeaky Wheel in Palmdale who often make a big showing on AT after a rain. They know who you are and you have their highest respect, you could easily reach out to them and they would listen.

AT trail drama. It’s been going on long before you and I came on the scene HB and will likely continue long after we’re gone. There will probably always be the feud.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/HORSEMEN,+BIKERS+FEUD+ABOUT+TRAIL.-a083902604

Can’t we all just get along?

http://articles.latimes.com/1996-07-08/local/me-22163_1_angeles-national-forest

Although HB did not plant the last spade in the trail’s restoration, he provided a much more significant contribution… The very first effort to resurrect an historic relic of a great trail, abandoned after the Station fire. For this, HB is the undisputed Godfather of AT. Took some guts to look up that canyon at all the miles of devastation and say “we can do this”. That was the invaluable inspiration to motivate others. That very first pass of the torch from HB to others was the big one that eventually led to the trail being completely restored almost to the top. Amazing what a group a motivated individuals can achieve?

As for the disrespectful trail users; I’ll share what our good buddy Maddog always used to say, “Fix and Educate. No use getting upset over something we have little control over”. Or do we? Some wise words from the Dog, an Educator by trade. I’m going to miss that guy.

Personally, I like the Forest Service’s view on the situation (the very first time ever);

"Motorcyclists, hikers and horseback riders must continue to share an unmaintained six-mile trail in the Angeles National Forest that they've feuded over in years past, say forest rangers from the Tujunga district office..."

I say let all user groups enjoy a valuable resource and hopefully all play nice together. May the AT always be an out-n-back and may it never be a shuttle route Lord willing. If the shuttle plan is a vision of those who follow, maybe it is time for me to pass the torch.

Meanwhile, I shall continue to fix and educate...

BigTex, MrGreedom, herzalot and 9 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?