What's the weirdest thing you've seen during a ride?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Derkderkall, Feb 15, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Ooh, I just remembered something creepy my friend and I came across many yrs ago!
    We were doing the ride from Sandburg to Lk Hughes via SOT, we had to bail early at Sawmill fireroad junction because it was almost dark and temps were already in the low 30’s, we’d been following Mtn Lion prints on SOT for a while and we’re a little freaked out. Once we hit the fireroad we came across a huge puddle of blood in the snow, we were thinking either Mtn Lion kill, a hunter shot something or a murder:)Roflmao) either way we were scared out of our gourds!
    We were just babies back then so... we’re a lot tougher now :D

Oaken, Fueledbyex8, mike and 14 others like this.
  2. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    mike, Faust29, Luis and 4 others like this.
  3. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    I mostly ride at night. every so I rescue some person way up the mountain after dark. One day um night I was going up Space Mtn and it had begun to rain at the top. It was ok as I had my dogs so I was not going down too fast. About 1/2 down I heard HELP, HELP. I found a dude wearing a sport coat with to little dogs just off the trail using a cell phone to navigate. The cell phone was dead and it was very dark as the rain was heavy and the clouds were low. I ended up guiding the guy out to the McCloud trail head which is very much out of my way. It just struck me as odd, hiking in the rain, leaving the trail, using a sport coat as rain gear and bringing little house dogs as coyote bait.

Fueledbyex8, mike, Faust29 and 9 others like this.
  4. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    That is odd :cautious:

mike, Faust29, Mikie and 1 other person like this.
  5. MegaLurker

MegaLurker Member

Name:
    Gary
    Current Bike:
    2011 Specialized S-Works 29er
    Saw a woman pants down and full squat hanging off the gate right below beeks. A few weeks ago ran up on a lady dropping a deuce on the Brightstar single track at Weir. She really couldn’t care less about my presence.

The most odd, when we moved to RSM in 2009 I did some early morning exploring and ended up at what I would later learn was Hal’s Place. The fire pit up there had large smoldering remnants from a fire that looked like had been left. I started dumping water from my CamelBak, and this old half vagrant looking guy came out of no where. He was talking but I was more looking at his body language, watching his hands and placing the pit between he and I (super creepy vibe). For what seemed like 30 seconds we did slow laps around the pit (seemed like he was trying to get position on me). It’s a no win for a middle 20s man to beat down an old guy, so I waited until I rounded back to my bike and jetted out of there. Rode away from Hal’s for 15-20 seconds, looked back and the guy was gone. Super sketch, never went back that way.

Fueledbyex8, mike, Faust29 and 12 others like this.
  6. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    ^^^^this reminded of what I thought was odd.
    Was Riding to Old Camp one summer day and was almost there when i ran across a guy hiking, barefoot, shorts no shirt and only a bedroll. Really, a blanket and shorts, that's it. I Chatted for a second and he seemed fine like it was a everyday thing. As I rode off he continued on up the trail. o_O

Fueledbyex8, mike, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  7. schillingsworth

schillingsworth Member

Name:
    John Schilling
    Current Bike:
    Motobecane Ti 29er
    This has been quite an entertaining thread and it seems Cali has the edge over AZ for trailside fornication!!

I've had a few odd, eyebrow lifters over the years.

I was riding at Papago Park one spring, now Papago is a small, busy park practically right in the middle of the city - next to the Zoo, and there was a calendar photo shoot going on. That wasn't so weird as it was awesome, but there was a couple on the backside of the butte who seemed to be taking the shoot to another level. I missed the full show on that, but got the general idea!!

This next one was the incident that prompted me to start my blog, I just had to begin documenting my rides!! It was late May and I went for a spin out on the AZT at Picketpost for and out-n-back to where the trail construction stopped. This was back before the AZT was completed in 2011. I made it to the end, turned around and when I could see Picketpost Mtn. there was a large haze near the bottom. As I got closer I could tell something was burning. I just figured it was a local rancher who let things get a bit out of control. Tempertures were now hovering in the low to mid 90's, my water was low and not quite boiling. I was still a few miles out, mostly downhill, and I could now see that it wasn't a controlled burn. The desert was on FIRE!! I had to get out of there. I rode through some thick smoke near the trailhead, saw flames over 6' high encroaching the trail corridor. It was a bit unnerving. I made it to the car only to see a wall of flames bearing down on the parking lot and my front bumper sitting in tall, dead grass. I loaded up quick, moved to the middle of the parking lot and waited for the smoke to clear enough to see. When I drove out the local authorities had shut down US60 at the trailhead turnoff. I think I surprised them when I drove up behind them!! I mentioned that there was another vehicle parked in the lot, but I didn't see another trail user. I'm glad I made it out unscathed and didn't have to backtrack on the trail in those conditions. Yikes!! The fire ended up burning for a few days and one of the signs is still marred to this day as a reminder each time I go out there.

One other worth mentioning was during my AZTR750 race. I had just camped south of the Grandview Lookout tower near the South Rim of the Canyon on day 9 or whatever. To that point, the weather had been great, but a system was moving in. As I got going that morning it began to snow. I picked up the pace because that soil becomes sticky peanut butter death mud when wet. I had all my layers on as the temps were hovering around 40. I was a few miles east of the gateway town of Tusayan when I could see someone up ahead walking. Keep in mind, there is nothing out this way, just some forest roads and the AZT through the forest of the Coconino Rim. As I got closer I could see it was a young man, maybe in his mid-20's. He's hiking with a shirt slung over his shoulder, wearing basketball shorts and walking barefoot. Freaking barefoot in 40 degrees weather in the snow!! He's not carrying anything elso, no water, no food, nada. He had a sizeable beard and otherwise looked normal. As I rode by, not believing what I was seeing, he says 'How's it going?' Huh? I should be asking you the same question!! I wish I would've snapped a pic of this dude. I've had some come to Jesus moments while out on rides, but this was as close to actually seeing him as I ever thought I'd get. I just rode on, since he seemed content.

mike, Faust29, Luis and 8 others like this.
  8. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo

We must have seen the same guy. Only real difference is the location, he must get around.

9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Well, he's Jesus so...

10. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    About a year ago I started stumbling on strange gargoyles at the side of the trail. Probably the work of some deranged killer who adds a new one every time he strikes :eek:
    Will I be #6??? :cry:

IMG_2421.JPG

11. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    There were all kinds of little troll houses set up like that around here for while. Uh oh...

12. scottay

Name:
    Scottay
    He's been up this way too!
    20171012_100455.jpg

13. scottay

Name:
    Scottay
    These guys are 5foot tall and more....
    20161111_103415.jpg 20161111_103415.jpg 20161111_103415.jpg 20161111_103515.jpg

14. BigTex

BigTex Member

Name:
    Richard
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Les
    Naked hiker with a backpack. On Arroyo Trabuco right below Ladera Ranch. Really glad we were traveling the same direction so I didn't have to see his frontside....

15. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
  16. jimbowho

jimbowho Well-Known Member

Name:
    james jim jimmy
    Current Bike:
    GT sensor
    Scottay: I know it's a Kajillion to one, but is that South of Soledad, below Capri Rd ??? If so I actually do have a story of interest.

17. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Bahahahaha! Of course! The Bomb Squad Lotions and Lace rides! No descriptions needed...

18. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
  19. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    @mtnbikej and @Faust29 on full suspension geared bikes. Been seeing a lot of that lately. Weird.

20. scottay

Name:
    Scottay
    Yeah, by the tunnel and across the train tracks. Do tell!

21. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    I’ve seen a girl doing yoga poses at the edge of a cliff in Sedona

1628503D-0D99-46C8-9C82-6766E277AF2F.jpeg

Oaken, herzalot, Danimal and 15 others like this.
  22. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Almost as crazy as seeing a big bike guy riding a 20 pound titanium single speed all over the mountains! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

23. jimbowho

jimbowho Well-Known Member

Name:
    james jim jimmy
    Current Bike:
    GT sensor
    What are the odds of knowing where that was with just the photo?? I can't remember where I set my coffee cup, but can zero in on a trail from 15-years ago. (did you go in the cave)???

Years back I rode my XR650r dual sport "pre-runner" bike from Palmdale to Chatsworth to get to work. That was my commute route. Must be said I ran hard and constantly timed myself to get home. SO I'm hard on the gas, really moving taking the long sweeper in the loose dry summer sand. NOW I'm fully locked up and come to a powdery plume of dust big time halt. Right in the middle of a movie set in the middle of a scene and dusted everybody out.

I heard cut cut cut cut cut cut. producer was not happy. I said so sorry people but you're in my backyard, fired up the mighty 650 and slowly rode away. It was a Western. I hope this qualifies?

herzalot, Rumpled, Danimal and 9 others like this.
  24. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    That's on the Cathedral Rock trail. My wife took this shot of my daughter sitting out at that same spot a couple years ago.

IMG_2719.JPG

herzalot, Danimal, CBone and 8 others like this.
  25. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    What’s so weird about that huh?!:p

mike, Oaken, Fueledbyex8 and 8 others like this.
  26. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    I’m thinking it is some kind of voodoo. You know @Voodoo Tom has ridden out this way before. And, he lives close to your neck of the woods too.
    Just sayin’

27. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Yea I can’t change the name of the thread :stop:
    Let’s just say it was pleasantly unexpected.
    It’s not unusual to be riding along and come around a relatively flat, open area and there’s a group doing early morning yoga class.
    Sedona has its share of weird quirky happenings. :geek:

mike, Fueledbyex8, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  28. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    I’ve heard about the Sedona yoga weirdness...that may qualify for this thread:laugh:
    The philosophical side of yoga does not interest me :stop:

mike, Fueledbyex8, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  29. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    The PSYCHOLOGICAL SIDE of this did some pretty good damage on me! :gag:
    Can you imagine Bombing the Palm Canyon Epic of all things only to look over at your buddy wearing women’s undergarments????

:coffee: How does that make you feel Mr. imtbtrails?

Well Doc? It’s hard to explain...:confused:

30. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

That happens everytime we ride with you.....you are always wearing your Spanx shorts......er, girdle.....er, spandex. :eek: :oops: :sick:

Tom the Bomb, mike, Redman and 8 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?