2019 Best GPS Computer for Cycling?

Discussion in 'Computers/GPS SYstems' started by Mikie, Jan 27, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I have used a Garmin Edge 705 cycling computer for about the last 7 years. I have gone through three of them. I usually buy used or refurbished and may do it again.

I’m only interested in a product specific GPS.
    I’m not interested in using an iPhone to record my rides.

My question is pointed to those that have used several models or brands and discovered a favorite. Be nice to know what made your choice a good one over another option or company.

Thanks in advance!

2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I've got the Garmin Edge Touring Plus and it's working out well for me. I think that they've been discontinued so you can probably find a new one or a slightly used one for cheap. NIB, they were only about $300 and they have a nice compact size and great features for the money.

3. Poofighter

Poofighter Member

Name:
    Noel
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Shortboy
    Like you, I had a 705 and it served its purpose until it died and I upgraded to the Garmin 800 which was a huge difference. Its faster, better color, touchscreen etc. The touchscreen is nowhere near what we all have got accustomed to with our smartphones, so dont expect that and also if a drop of sweat hits the screen dont be surprised if your screen thinks you tapped it. I tried uploading routes to it, but it started to change the name of the ride to random letters and numbers, so I called Garmin and they warrantied it. Garmin tech support and warranty dept have been great to me. I swapped it out for a 520 plus which is not touchscreen and have been happy so far. The screen is smaller, but at least it doesnt change due sweat hitting it. I was tempted to buy a Wahoo Element but I already have the Garmin HR strap and cadence device on my road bike, so I didnt want to change. If I didnt already have the other Garmin accessories I would take a serious look at the Element. Good luck @Mikie

Redman, Cyclotourist, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  4. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    It doesn't have to be an iPhone. My Samsung does just fine when I choose to use it. Lasts forever, too.

I've had a Garmin 500 Edge since 2013, and it only failed me once on an upload. It has never died before I did, up to and including a 10.5 hour slog-a-thon. I have therefore never had the urge to find something else. YMMV.

Cyclotourist, Faust29, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  5. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Former Garmin user.

Check out the Wahoo Element and Element Bolt.

I like mine a lot

Cyclotourist, Faust29, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  6. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    You've ridden with me enough while I've tried to navigate us to know that I'm not going to recommend the Garmin Edge 520...

7. JordanHMay

JordanHMay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jordan May
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon
    After throwing 5 Garmin's against the wall over the years I have moved to WAHOO. I love the Element Bolt. Works great, sync is quick with the app on my phone, rides sync fast, etc. It lacks some of the mapping the more premium Garmin units do but I don't map with a cycling computer. If I am riding in a new area I map with my phone.

8. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I like that I can see the Element Bolt screen at all times. The screen has a backlight feature that ensures you can see the numbers in any light, wearing sunglasses. My Garmin was unreadable at times...

UPSed, Cyclotourist, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    After going through 2 Edge 705's in about 6 years....I bought a Garmin 520, and have been mostly happy with it.

I have figured out how to do a few things that confused me for a while.

I don't have any issues being able to see the screen or any of the numbers.

Sometimes I have issues with my HR monitor....but that probably has more to do with the HR monitor.

10. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Can you load a course and follow it? My 520 screen updates so damn slow that I’m always way off course before I realize it and sometimes so far I have trouble finding my way back to the course.

Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Yes.....that is how I navigated through WW50.

I tend to like the navigation zoomed way in.

Poofighter, Faust29, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  12. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    Garmin accessories will pair with a Wahoo, any ant+ bluetooth is compatible. I know roadies that use the garmin rpm/cad sensors just because they look better. I'm using a Garmin HR strap.

I have been using the Wahoo Element for a week now (3 rides). I like it. It works well.
    Wish it was a touch screen, but only because I am used to touching screens.
    I miss pretty colorful screens, but on my mtb I think that would be more of a distraction, so I am not bothered that it is monochromatic.
    Loading routes is simple and intuitive. I steal friends rides in Strava, so know I'm watching you all. If you see my Subaru parked in front your house just leave me a cold beer on the bumper.
    It links to strava with no hassle, and immediately. Will do live segments if you are premium and chasing KOM is your thing.
    I haven't noticed it updating my position slowly, feels spot on, but maybe I am just as slow on my pedals.
    I had it on for 3hrs riding today, mostly on the map screen, and it used less than 20% of its battery.
    My loved ones like that they get an email when I go riding with a link for a live feed of my location. Priceless peace of mind right there.
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

13. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    And we navigated Redlands Strada Rossa with my 510, although I don't recommend it. They're possessed, and mine exhibits all the behaviors that Jordan mentioned above, plus a few more! Garmin syncing and software overall is horrible.

If my Garmin weren't relegated to backup duty, I'd look at a Wahoo. For now, the Apple Watch has primary duty.

14. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
  15. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC advanced single soee
    I’ve had a Lezyne Super GPS for about 6 months and has been pretty flawless.

16. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    It is hard to beat the capabilities and screen quality of the phone in your pocket and you don't need an extra piece of hardware or have to worry about keeping it charged.

17. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Thanks @bvader !
    I read some articles and found that some of the most comprehensive info I have ever read.

Mapping is the big one for me. I don't need training assistance, power meters and all that gar-bagge...
    The Garmin Explore popped up as a solid price point for value contender. https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/07/garmin-edge-explore-review.html
    The bang for buck for this unit is crazy good at $249 bucks!
    But I assume that when they say mapping, they are talking about road mapping and not "off road" mapping... right?

Cyclotourist, Faust29 and bvader like this.
  18. BigTex

BigTex Member

Name:
    Richard
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Les
    Someone else said it, but I'll repeat it - ANT and Bluetooth are ANT and Bluetooth. You can mix and match brands all you want as long as both use the same connection technology. I use a Wahoo HR strap and cadence sensor with my Garmin 820.

Speaking of the Garmin, I generally like it, but it can be finicky with connecting to the phone and uploading rides on occasion. Sometimes I have to tell my phone to forget the device and reconnect. Minor pain in the butt.

19. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    I'd have to look closer but typically you can load your own routes from somebody's previous ride and then follow.

"– Ability to import/download/create routes (from files or Garmin Connect)"

Also looks like there is different mode for off road

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=bLbnRo4DEM3pBXaiHjfhg7

Mikie, Cyclotourist and Faust29 like this.
  20. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I went with a Wahoo Elemnt last year after reading about the screen visibility and not being touchscreen. This is my first bike computer so I didn’t need tons of bells and whistles and had heard touchscreen can be a pain for these due to sweat/water pushing buttons randomly. I like the text preview function (which I am sure other brands have too). Not really interested in more functions I wouldn’t be using anyways or fancy color screens you can’t see, solid unit for my needs.

Redman, Faust29, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  21. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Mikie, take a look at units like the Garmin Oregon 600, or whatever model they are on now. These aren't biking specific units so you get no bike related features. They are specifically for mapping and navigating. I've loaded in free detailed topo base maps from GPSfiledepot.com. It is easy to import and follow tracks - plug the unit into your computer and it functions like a hard drive to drag and drop files over. It has a pretty nice touchscreen interface to zoom in and navigate around. And it is powered by AA batteries. I use energizer rechargeables with a 15min quick charger. I have been very happy with this GPS.

The only thing I would hold out for before buying a new one is the hope that Garmin will incorporate the Inreach satellite communicator technology into the GPS or better screen and GPS functionality into the Inreach. Being able to send text messages without cell reception would be huge. Right now I carry an Inreach and a Garmin on most of my rides.

Phones are getting close to the point where they can replace a GPS unit. A couple big shortcomings remain though - the screen on a phone typically turns off after a few seconds to save power and then you have to open it again; if you set the screen to stay on, the battery drains. Might work for a couple hours ride but probably not all day. Dedicated GPS devices stay on all the time and last much longer.

22. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C
    Have you thought about a GPS watch? I've had a Garmin Vivoactive HR for almost 3 years, and it works great for more than just riding. The only problem when riding is gloves if you don't want to adjust the tension and slide it up the arm a bit. The current watches on the market mostly have flush heart rate monitors, so there's no weird hump that pushes down into your skin.

Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  23. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I only have Garmin experience.

I gave my Vivoactive HR (older model) to my GF. I really liked it. If you don't need mapping and 8 hours is enough life for you, then it's great and easy.

I replaced it with a Fenix 5 which does mapping, more battery, and connects to all sensors (including power). Unless I need a head unit for some particular reason, I don't even use my 520 Plus anymore. It has been great for me, but I just use the watch mostly. I don't need to have the data in my face often and don't even have a Garmin mount on my bikes except my roadie now. I might put one on the XC to see power data, but only a might.

24. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I bought Cathy a Vivoactive. Great for recoding a ride but not much help for navigation. I like them however!

mtnbikej likes this.
  25. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Have you decided on a GPS unit yet @Mikie? After accidentally stopping my ride today in the middle and not realizing it until I had lost close to 10 miles I decided it's time for a dedicated unit. I had talked to @rossage a few months ago about the Wahoo Elemnt he was using and it sounded perfect for my needs. I'm leaning towards that right now. Don't really need anything fancy.

Fueledbyex8, Cornholio, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  26. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Yeah it’s down to an Elemnt or the Garmin Explorer.

Cornholio, mtnbikej and UPSed like this.
  27. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    I currently use the 520 and the Fenix 5 If you are looking for on the go info both of them have limitations (for 50-year-old guys who pretend that they don't need glasses)..... The text is just way too small on a sunny day.
    The Edge 1030 is the way to go, but it is costly.

I was going to buy the Wahoo, but the fact that I needed to get 5 new mounts was just too much for me. I know that there is a way to modify some of the Garmin mounts to fit the Wahoo, but most of my mount doesn't rotate.
    I love the fact that you can soon in and out of the wahoo (by reducing the number of fields). I have been using Wahoo HRM straps for the last 5 years, and they are the best that I tried.

Mikie, mtnbikej and UPSed like this.
  28. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Sharone,
    Check out the Garmin Explore it does just about everything the Garmin 1030 does less Power I think.
    The links above to Rain Maker that @bvader provided was magic in relation to a thorough product evaluation!

HBkites likes this.
  29. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    I'm not in the market today......
    Only GPS sensor (altimeter?), Can it be connected to power/HRM?

30. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I was totally focused on off road navigation so I know it apparently does not off monitoring power.

I did pull the trigger on the Garmin 520 plus. Pricey at around $355 bucks out the door with the MTB bundle.
    Although it has a bunch of junk I can care less about, it is supposed to be very good at preloaded navigation and also helps you get back on course when off course. Also can download topo maps and shows trails and popular trails. Ties in with Trailforks as well!
    upload_2019-2-11_14-43-32.png
    upload_2019-2-11_14-44-28.png

Danimal, Fueledbyex8, Faust29 and 8 others like this.