Guerilla Gravity

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews' started by herzalot, Jun 25, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Guessing those interested are perusing the site, but new bikes are live. Some of the build sections don't seem to be populating. Still sifting through, but frames look sharp. More modern to be sure.

2. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    US made carbon, the entire FS line, revolutionary CF process
    Headset is adjustable 10mm reach/wheelbase with two lower cup (stack) options
    More stay options to create longer/shorter travel versions while retaining flip chip function
    One front triangle can become any FS model
    Four long and short sizes of each FS model
    ~6.5 lb frame weight, still Boost/73mm threaded
    Basic geos get -1° HA and +1° SA compared to alum, Smash and Megatrail get longer stays, TP and SD stays get shorter
    Smash is now 145 or 160, Trail Pistol still 120
    Alum FS front triangles being phased out; stays remain alum
    $2195 frameset (without shock)

A lot more innovation than I was expecting. I'm totally stoked to see US carbon happening. MABA!

FWIW...I'm very happy with my alum Smash, no intention of upgrading. I like the stay length as is; not so much looking for mach speed stability over fun and maneuverability.

3. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    those are some good looking' bikes.
    I'm going to go read about them now....back shortly...

Danmtchl, MrGreedom, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    So somewhere up above I said something about not being ready for a new bike, but GG is on the short list. Somewhere else I mentioned that GG ticks all the boxes, except I thought they were a little bit on the ugly side.

Wellllllll.... crap. All excuses gone. And CO-USA made. Dammmmmittt! :mad: :mad: :cool: :cool: :cool: :bang: :bang: :bang:

This is amazing! I guess I will be canceling my Hightower order. :whistling:

5. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    That hybridish routing is pretty slick.

Danimal, Danmtchl, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  6. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Pretty awesome.These new books look amazing and it’s insane that they’re building a carbon bike in Colorado, I hope they kill it.

That said, I’ve been dragging my feet (as @mike knows!!) on getting a Smash and although these new bikes look unreal I’ve got eyes for a raw aluminum smash. Maybe I’ll find a killer deal on old stock, or score on the impending dump of guys looking to upgrade their smash from aluminum to carbon.

Danmtchl, UPSed, Voodoo Tom and 8 others like this.
  7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Those metal bikes are appealing in a whole new way now. :thumbsup:

I am over the moon about US CF and what that means to the industry. And the new designs look incredible. But y'all will have to pry that metal Smash from my cold, dead hands. :)

8. Sassyquatch

Sassyquatch Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sam

Dooooooooooo eeeeeeeeeeeeet!

9. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I'll play with the site over the next few days..if ordered now will have it in April/May...hhmmm...:sneaky:.....

Sizing though.....

10. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    I spent an hour or so in deep conflict, then had an aha moment. Though I certainly won't make any moves any time soon, at some point having two bikes is probably the responsible thing to do, just so I don't ever find myself without a bike. Trail Pistol in 2020 to compliment my suddenly collectible Smash? I can also keep telling myself there's no blue in the 2019s. I like blue.

It's been a tough couple days for someone who suffers from latestandgreatestitis. I bought a 2019 truck at the end of the year, and I deeply wished it had a couple things that aren't easily solvable with aftermarket. A surprise refresh was teased yesterday, and word on the streets that my two wishes are two of the main new features.

Danmtchl, mtnbikej, herzalot and 6 others like this.
  11. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    @buggravy: Metal Smash and CF Pistol...yes, that crossed my mind, too. Smash all coil, TP all air. Guy's gotta dream.

Danmtchl, buggravy, UPSed and 5 others like this.
  12. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
  13. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    OK... I'll say it. I liked the looks of the aluminum bikes a lot more than the plastic. I'm sure this is the direction they need to go to grow the brand, but damn, the aluminum models just looked badass. Present day economics and a missed pinkbike opportunity are the only factors that led to my most recent purchase...

American made carbon? Now, that part is awesome... :thumbsup: I hope they keep that small company mindset and culture moving forward, as they venture into Plastic Land.

We're going to see a lot more of these on our trails now. Guaranteed.

Danmtchl, herzalot, UPSed and 6 others like this.
  14. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    It's a cool idea. I like that someone is starting to think outside the box.

I agree that the Al bikes are what GG what they are....the industrial/no frills look/US made.

Interested to see how they ride.

Now to play devils advocate here. :rolleyes:

Some things that I'm skeptical of.......
    1. Low cost US made carbon frame....remember they are comparing their half/carbon, half Al frame to full carbon frames. I know it is symantics in the marketing.
    2. New resin being 300% more impact resistant....again, claims are high, but they are a small company doing small batches at a time, so if things go bad, they can fix in a shorter time frame.
    3. The headset flip chip...brilliant idea. But, again I'm skeptical of this not being a source of creaking. They say it is something that you can easily adjust...but that means to me that it isn't tightly pressed into the frame. That is an important spot on the frame for me to have to worry about noise and movement. Remember how noisy AngleSet Headsets were.

It's always great to have more options. Looks like GG is the fresh face in the industry taking everyone by storm.

HBkites, scottay, tick and 8 others like this.
  15. 406

406 Member

Name:
    Brian
    Current Bike:
    Ripmo
    Awesome. Now I have no excuse to not order a Trail Pistol. The ride 1 kit looks really good, price seems too good to be true. Although their "warranty" makes me a little nervous and I'm confused by the new sizing.

Thanks for posting those PB videos. Are the PB posters going nuts? The carbon process looks/sounds similar to how Ibis did the USA small ripley. GG is smart to have same front triangle for all models, only need 1 mold.

Danmtchl, mike, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  16. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Thinking I'll pull the trigger on the TP race, with a couple small changes. Then would see it in May for summer riding.

I agree with @Faust29 on the aluminum. I thought it looked great and has a nice industrial feel.

Danmtchl, mike, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  17. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Maybe I'm having a bad math day but.....

Alloy frame used to be in the ball park of$2000, with the low spec build@ $2995

Carbon frame is $2200
    But lowest spec is now $3700

I guess the entry level (ride 2) components are different?

Don't get me wrong, that's still killer price for the bike,

But the cost of the entry being sub 3 grand, if only by$5, was very attractive...

Danmtchl, mike, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  18. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    I'm thinking they've changed up at least some of the components. I believe my Ride 1 build was $3995 before any customization, and that came with GX. Ride 1 build now comes with GX Eagle, which I believe was a $150-$200 upgrade previously. Also, the lack of a "Raw" option means automatic cost for powder coating, which was anywhere from like $100 - $250 before.

Danmtchl, mike, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  19. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Carbon frame price is without shock...alloy was with shock...

20. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I agree! :thumbsup:

Danmtchl, Faust29 and Cyclotourist like this.
  21. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    You're right, I could have sworn I heard with shock last night,

I think they are speccing a different dropper now too

Danmtchl, Faust29, mike and 1 other person like this.
  22. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
  23. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Really? I couldn't disagree more. I thought the looks of the old frame were not attractive at all and would have kept me from even considering GG bikes. Now they are in the game. Different strokes....I never like Niner looks either so we're obviously on the other end of what we like appearance wise.

Danmtchl, Faust29, mike and 1 other person like this.
  24. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Wow, just reading up and watching the vids and getting caught up on all this. Gotta admit I loved the hand crafted sexy curves and welds myself and at first I thought WTF are they thinking? Then I got to thinking about the gamble they took and realized I'm not looking thru a normal set of eyes and they have some guts. They are pretty much gambling their whole name and reputation by going this direction but still staying true to their roots by keeping it all here in the good ol USA. Am I skeptical of the strength and stiffness claims yes but I also think some features are brilliant. Molds are ridiculously expensive, even when built in house, and they had to make several of them. Most molds are now made by overseas companies because they are simply too expensive to produce here. Who knows what the carbon fiber engineer they hired cost but I can guarantee that's not cheap or easy for a small company to absorb. Kudos to the GG folks for thinking outside the box and doing what only a grass roots effort can do by getting sh!t done ahead of the competition.

25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I have to admit, after letting this sink in for a day, I am a little bummed. GG had a super cool retro thing going. The bikes' looks were an acquired taste - industrial. Old school - yet apparently blowing away modern designs in how they rode. Now they seem to be the cutting edge of automated domestic plastic production, with a bike that looks better (IMO) but more in line with everyone else. They didn't sell their soul like Intense did (along with Santa Cruz, Ibis, Yeti, Pivot, Transition, Kona, Knolly and everyone else who manufactures overseas), but they certainly re-defined their souls overnight. I imagine they are going to lose their "base" of riders who were attracted to the bikes because of their look/material/origin. No doubt they will probably gain more than they lose, but since when have the majority ever been right?

26. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    NBD! Sort of. This is as far as I got, and will get for at least a week. Rainy weather, work & pleasure travel, resisting temptation to ride, etc., means it probably won’t even get assembled for a week or more, but the eagle has landed. It’s so purty, and I’m crazy stoked with how it came out. That saddle!

B6F9713D-4435-46F9-A9B1-1539BF944618.jpeg

27. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Love the color!
    Oooooo... You'll love looking at it with longing for a while now .

28. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Completely badass!!!!!!!!! Congrats, Matt!

I'm sure the plastic frames with their features are great, but I will never lose my affinity for a solid metal bike frame like that. Hell, I'm trying to worm my way into a different metal Smash frame size as we speak.

Horns up!!!!!!

29. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Mike, in all seriousness, thanks so much for all of your help and the pivotal role you played in the process. I really am thrilled. There was a brief moment a couple days ago where the carbon fiber grass looked a little greener, but seeing this thing in person I know wholeheartedly that I got the right bike at the right time. There will be plenty of opportunity to own a carbon GG at some point in the future, but seems like this was quite literally the last opportunity to own a metal one spec'd just the way I want it. The stars definitely aligned on this one.

30. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Dig the deep blue. :thumbsup:

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?