Bike appearance vs quality ride....?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mtbMike, Jan 13, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. BigTex

BigTex Member

Name:
    Richard
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Les
    That thing is kind of badass...love the RW&B bar tape to match. But are those green tires?!?

2. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I’ve heard the old dentists and expensive bikes joke but never heard of a dental themed bike.

3. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Could be @MolarM's :geek:

4. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Now we’ve had a debate all morning about this issue especially this bike. We got a Project One bike with custom paint and the bike build is awesome and very expensive but the color is not everyone’s cup of tea. What is everyone’s opinion of this? BA71B74F-AB87-46D8-A905-C04F11193942.jpeg

5. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Green or blue bar tape would improve it. Not bad, but not worth my $$$ for a Project One paint job. I prefer this
    E19DEAF2-69E7-43E4-ACAE-42E188485662.jpeg
    Which cost $600 out the door in 2007.

6. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Very loud. You wouldn't need lights...

7. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Perfect for a road bike. Loud paint will hopefully increase your visibility to motorists .

That paint scheme on a MTB, not my thing.

8. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I agree with the blue tape, it would be a little less loud. The P1 paint jobs are free this month, so a savings of $500.

9. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    But if they are all black, the new one looks the same as the old one to my wife :whistling:

10. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    IMO, road bikes should be as loudly colored as possible to provide a visual statement to our foolish fellow automobile drivers with whom we share the road.

I like the color scheme. :thumbsup:

11. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Fade looks great. Rider needs to be fast though, or will look like a bit of poseur.

This is brilliant! But what do you tell her when they start having babies?

12. MolarM

MolarM Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Those old C-Dales are cool, I’d ride it. Nothing wrong with cleaning her up a bit, getting it rolling again. The green tires might have to go though (and replace them with blue)

13. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Roger. Downtube shifters will always have a piece of my heart. Same with quill stems. Pass the Geritol, eh...

Faust29, Grego, MolarM and 3 others like this.
  14. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    I like it actually!

mike, Faust29, Grego and 4 others like this.
  15. MolarM

MolarM Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    I’ve got a vintage road bike with down tube shifters, quill stem too. With orig Suntour build. It’s a Raleigh Supercourse. I bought it right before the ‘84 Olympics! I’ve had that bike 35 years!!! Take some of that Geritol, and pass it down

~JB~, Faust29, UPSed and 6 others like this.
  16. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    You're really letting out the ghosts, Mike. :thumbsup: I have not heard that model name uttered in decades.

My first bikepacking buddy owned one...14 year olds getting psyched on getting away from parents. I inherited my dad's Nishiki "American Eagle" in '74 and rode it hard. Suntour pantograph-design shifting was somewhat novel outside of high end, and it worked so well. It had to if you had any hope of getting your shifts down with no trimming. Dialing it in on downtube shifters was a bit of an art – one lost to indexed shifter years later. As you know! :)

17. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Well-Known Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    well that escalated quickly.jpg
    I'm going to blame you guys for this one......
    After reminding me that I still didn't have a Whyte PRST1 in my life I decided to have a look round again at what was out there. They come up occasionally but are either pretty flogged out or go for drug money. A quick look on evilbay showed two for sale, one looking pretty tired with a battered frame and the other looking tidy(ish) but going for drug money. I did the responsible thing and decided to watch them to see where the market was at (just for research wifey, honest).
    Anyway a couple of days later and the drug money one has been chopped in price by nearly a third..... I take a closer look at the ad and find a few things, firstly its not a complete bike, its got completely mismatched componentry (campag crankset, SRAM wheels etc) and the seller admits he has no idea what its worth. Anyway remembering forgiveness is easier than permission I got in touch with him and made a ridiculous offer. The dude writes back in 5 minutes and accepts...... :poop:, now I have to tell the wife what I've done :Roflmao after explaining my bargain of the year (and signs she is definitely a good 'un) I get a high five in response.

Anyway I present to you the sinfully ugly Whyte PRST1!
    IMG_0345.jpgA quick bit of history about this rather bizarre machine. The design was drawn up by two blokes stuck in an airport riding out a typhoon. Jon Whyte and Adrian Ward both had a Formula 1 background, they also designed Marins suspension at the time. The idea was to come up with a fork design that got round the limitations of the telescopic forks of the time (1997). They liked what they had and took the design to Marin, who turned it down. Not to be put off they created their own brand (Whyte) and the PRST1 was their first bike. Why PRST? Some people remarked that the design reminded them of Preston a robotic dog from the british film Wallace and Grommit.
    preston.png
    Heres a close up of that fork design for your amusement.IMG_0346.jpg
    Apparently they were working on a 6 linkage version of the fork design that even had tunable anti-dive properties when the Fox 32 Forx was first released and killed of any more development work.
    The bike has some other pretty cool features considering when it first came about. The wheel quick release system is quite interesting. The hubs have these machined bobbins attached to the ends.
    IMG_0342.jpg
    The dropouts have this pretty naffly named quick release system.....
    IMG_0344.jpg

Current plan is to slowly rebuild it over time. Hopefully all of the reviews I've read about the way this thing rides holds true.

Anyway, I think this confirms I'm a function over form guy :Roflmao

UPSed, Danimal, herzalot and 11 others like this.
  18. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    For me, it has always been value and function over looks.
    I guess that is one reason I never bought a new bike.
    Bikes are just tools. Eventually, they break or get replaced by something better.

I don't demo bikes either.....
    I'm not sure why. I just never done it before.
    I find a "used" bike that is my size with the right components. I try to negotiate, and if the deal is right I pull the trigger.
    At times I wonder if it the right approach, but I can't see myself paying $1000 in sales tax for my "dream bike".

19. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Awesome, @Lost Kiwi :thumbsup: – thanks for the state of the art (from last century). :geek:

I gotta know what is this drug money you speak of. I sometimes have one but never both – I must be doing it wrong... :cool:

20. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    That's a lot of cable rub... hopefully they knocked a bit off the transaction price!

mike, mountaingirl sara and Danmtchl like this.
  21. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    For some reason that bike reminds me of a praying mantis...am I crazy here??

22. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I don't see it.
    20190123_154644.jpg

23. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Come on Ed...that front fork!?!
    Anyways...it’s an interesting looking bike and if it gets the job done....then it’s a beauty:thumbsup:

MolarM, Danmtchl, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  24. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Well-Known Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Antipodean colloquialisms at play @mike. Drug money = expensive, Beer money = cheap. So to answer @Cyclotourist the asking price started out at drug money and I paid beer money (not quite a third of his initial asking price).

The fork linkages kind of does make it look like it has arms reaching forward so I think I get what you mean :thumbsup: otherwise, no, your crazy :p

Redman, Danimal, Derkderkall and 6 others like this.
  25. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    I’ll take that as a compliment ;):D

Lost Kiwi, Cyclotourist and Danmtchl like this.
  26. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    and here I was just thinking there were a lot of former mountain bikers turned tweakers in the UK, looking for a quick score...

Danmtchl and Cyclotourist like this.
  27. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Faust29, scan, Redman and 5 others like this.
  28. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
  29. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
  30. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?