29+

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mike, Jan 22, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Not much chatter here about this format. I'm starting to be interested.

I tried B+, was not wowed by it and prefer regular 29er with 2.4-2.6".

29 x 3 sounds like it could be good for someone like me. I envision a short-travel FS, of which the apparent selection is very limited but does exist. I haven't been much of a hardtail trail rider, despite trying. I rarely ride exclusively to go fast or far/fast. I like trials-y stuff. I like sessioning up and down, and steep terrain that tests traction. I like rough terrain that 29er wheels help smooth out. Long rides, bikepacking. My spine is a bit F'ed up.

Yes the tires are massive, and the rims they run on are not light. I'm willing to take on a little more to have some fun. I need to mess around before heading into a cul-de-sac. I can play with my Smash – I imagine a 29 x 2.8 will fit (have heard of a 29 x 3 fitting, but skeptical). I don't mind investing in a fork and wheels. The Lenz Behemoth is probably, ultimately, the right tool.

You might have advice for a 29+ neophyte...TIA for posting if ya do. :)

2. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
  3. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Never seen a bike thread generate so little response on this site. Maybe that says something...?

4. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    The only ones that have come up recently were @noLungs who sold one, @littlewave who bought one, and @Daddy Dirtbag who rides one. Other than that, I haven't seen very many in the wild. Maybe they'll chime in.

I still like to throw the 27.5+ on every now and then for fun, but that seems to be less and less often.

5. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    I think I'd try a 29 x 2.6 before i went full blown 29+ if it were me. The volume of the newer 2.6 tires out there is significant and the weight is usually around 1000 grams for burly tires like the dhf and 800-850 for the recon and ikon. I've been demo'ing a giant trance 29 and that bike has room for 2.6 tires. I'll be ordering one soon and I'm considering building up a set of 34mm internal width hoops so that I can run 2.4-2.6 tires and take advantage of the extra volume.

To be honest, I never really gravitated towards the 2.8-3.0 tires. I've tried them on my hightower and my kona heihei and they are indeed confidence inspiring and provide great grip on rocky terrain. That being said, they don't make me faster, they come with a noticeable weight penalty on longer rides (in my case with arc 40 wheels) and they don't provide any additional cornering speed, although they do seem to provide more grip.

Overall I think the sweet spot for me is these psuedo plus tires in the 2.6 range. They have a lot of the benefits of the 2.8 tires I've ridden but without some of the undamped suspension feeling and overall weight penalties that the wider skins have. I think paired with a short travel frame you get a lot of versatility added to the bike and I think it allows bikes in the 100-130mm travel range start creeping into the capability of the 140-150 travel bikes.

I say give it a shot. I love that there are so many wheel and tire size options these days... tires are the most subjective components of each bike and now everyone can find the option that really makes them feel confident on the bike.

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    It is a very small niche in the marketplace right now.

I've ridden with friend who has a Trek hardtail 29+ and that thing is like a monster truck. It literally rolls over anything. He is a strong climber, so that doesn't seem to slow him down.

As a super early adopter of 29ers, I get being on something different. Personally I don't see a need. I'm trying to remember a time when I thought 3.0+ tires on my bike would make the ride....better. Then again, 2.6+ tires don't light a fire under me either.

I know Trek has a new FS 29+ .......

FullStache8_22688_A_Portrait?$responsive-pjpg$&wid=1440&hei=1080.jpg

7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Great input, guys.

@Ebruner, I like the idea of easing into the size. That's pretty much where I'm at. I've run a few sets of 29x2.6 and liked what they did despite the negatives. Also tried 275x2.8, but likely not near the sweet spot pressure-wise. So I'm about as primed as can be to take a more definitive step to 29+. You guys might know that speed is not a top criterion for my riding, so giving up some to get more traction and a more fun feeling and body friendly ride is a worthy trade for me.

I think all I need to start into this is a set of wheels. My Smash Pike appears to be able to take plus. A local rider here managed to get a 29x3.0 on his Trail Pistol, so I'm thinking it *might* work on the Smash. I know a 2.8 would. Of course for grins will have to check fit on my Pedalhead frame; could save me from a frame liquidation if it works.

8. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Yeah, I've got @noLungs Trek Stache, so I should probably chime in, but the truth is it doesn't see dirt all that often. I have taken it out a couple times and the grip of 29+ with non-aggressive lugs is pretty crazy compared to 2.5 aggressive rubber. I don't really have a bike to bike comparison though since the Stache is rigid, so it doesn't fill the same role as my Ripley, and for the trails/people I ride with, I can't keep up on a rigid bike. It does climb like a goat though!

Mostly I just use it to ride around with the kids or pull the Burley with the kids. It'll probably see more dirt time soon when the little one wants to start riding in the dirt or maybe doing some bike camping on it. I'd say give the 3.0/2.8 a try on the Smash, worst case you don't like it and sell the tires and wheels?

9. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    Personally, I don't like plus tires at all. They handle like poop. Just way too much sidewall flex for me.

10. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    That makes perfect sense with your avatar 3/8" from those words. :geek::thumbsup:

11. noLungs

noLungs Member

Name:
    Robert
    Current Bike:
    About to flip a coin
    Tag, I'm it? So I sold @littlewave my Stache 5 rigid. I was riding FLOOP and Bonelli with it. So maybe this will cater more to your desires to bike packing or longer mellow rides. 29+ was incredible for my riding progression. The chupacabra tires, despite not having monster lugs, have a pattern that really let you dig into the corners. I only ever ran these tires and would definitely be interested in the XR4 or whatever comes on the Full Stache. Contrary to @kazlx opinion, I found that running reasonable tire pressures (not super low like everyone who goes + thinks they need to do) yielded a ride that was not as flex or wallow-ee as people make out plus tires to be. Rim choice is key with 29+. Trek spec'd the bikes with rims that were a hair too big in my mind. Rim like Spank Oozy Trail 395 is the perfect width to get a better profile than a 40 or 50mm rim like the duroc. They also do pretty well in the mud (compared to a 4" fat bike tires), hardly noticed the difference people say exists.

The one thing that all the reviews say that I found very true, is tire pressure sensitivity. If you were two psi low the ride was a little spongy. 2 psi high and you were pogo sticking around the bumps. Lastly, the old "wagon wheel" reference made about standard 29ers really holds true but dammit the stability at speed was insane.

Truth be told, if I don't make a decision on a full susser I may end up buying the new Stache 7 as its all the bike I need for my usual routes and could probably take me further if I were more adventurous. If you are curious about them Trek has the old rigid model as a bike packing dedicated rig or the new Stache 5 at reasonable prices. They may be worth a try for you. I would stay away from the full Stache as from what I hear it is super flexy in the rear triangle.

12. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    I'm a bigger dude, but I don't even know how some people ride with tire pressures they say they do on 'regular' tires. All this talk about tubeless and running less pressure. For me, it's 100% about less/no flats. Anything under 25 for me is not even rideable. I'm usually right around 32 give or take depending on terrain. I hear about people running in the teens and with my setups, the bike wouldn't even be stable in the corners and wallow around on anything even semi-technicals. Wheels/Tires/Pressure are probably the thing I am the most picky about when it comes to setting up my bikes.

Mikie, Danmtchl, mike and 10 others like this.
  13. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Good info, @noLungs ! I have 275 plus tires, and while they are heavy and slow me down on the climbs, they feel great. I love rolling over chit and literally feeling them conform to the surface irregularities as I go over it. But slow to climb. Noticeably so. Pointed downhill not faster, just different.
    Not what @mike was asking about, but this is IMTBTrails...

Mikie, Danmtchl, mike and 7 others like this.
  14. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Just shows how much difference rider weight can make. I'm right at 163 lbs (and 5 lbs over ideal at that), and I run a 2.35" front/rear at 14/18. Just about perfect - for me.

Mikie, Danmtchl, mike and 6 others like this.
  15. noLungs

noLungs Member

Name:
    Robert
    Current Bike:
    About to flip a coin
    At the time I had the bike I was around 230 pounds dry. No doubt they flex some but tuning the pressure helped negate that for me.

Mikie, Danmtchl, Old&InTheWay and 5 others like this.
  16. BurnDawg

BurnDawg Member

Name:
    Bern
    I have a Niner ROS 9 Plus so I’ll chime in.

My previous ride was a fully rigid On One Inbred 29 (now sporting drop bars) and my Niner is way more fun. Monster truck is the best way to describe it. Really just plows over a lot of the smaller stuff like baby heads and whatnot. Great on sandy or loose climbs even with the Ikon like treads of the Bomboloni tires. I can stay seated way more which lets me ride further.

You do notice the huge tires in the tight turns and the lack of suspension is not for everyone, but I am stoked on the playful nature of the geometry along with the extra grip. I imagine rocks and braking bumps would just jump out of the way if they see a full suspension 29+ heading their way.

For me the 29 x 2.2 tires vs 29 x 3.0 was night and day. Not sure 2.6 vs 3.0 would be as noticeable and rim width and tire selection could make a huge difference.

Mikie, Danmtchl, Old&InTheWay and 9 others like this.
  17. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    Definitely agree with both above. I usually run 2.35s. If it was at 14/18 I think rims would be touching the ground.

Mikie, Danmtchl, mike and 5 others like this.
  18. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Thank you, Sir Lungs!

Mikie, Danmtchl, mtnbikej and 3 others like this.
  19. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I'm going to say that rider style, terrain, and speed matter more with the plus tires... @kazlx 's avatar isn't something you'd try with plus tires. I wouldn't try it with any tires, :Roflmao, but plus tires are squirmier when they are pushed hard or asked to go outside of their comfort zone- large landings? Uh, no. I didn't care for the squirm hitting the water bars on Harding with my massive 12" jumps. :oops: But coming down Trabuco? That was awesome! @mike 's avatar picture? Probably more confidence inspiring with plus tires... Even though it isn't mike. :thumbsup:

20. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Took the 29+ Stache out last night. I had fun, and will keep riding this, but it's definitely not my bread and butter riding. That said, based on this: "I like trials-y stuff. I like sessioning up and down, and steep terrain that tests traction. I like rough terrain that 29er wheels help smooth out. Long rides, bikepacking," I think you will enjoy 29+. The traction never runs out, your legs will give up before the tires (although I've seen what you can climb, so with 29+ you'll be able to climb an elevator shaft). Also, in loose sandy sections, there is zero worry about sliding out. Sandy switchback? Rail it like it's loam.

So, two thumbs up from me for your proposed use. Report back when you get a chance!

Mikie, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 7 others like this.
  21. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Awesome feedback, Brett. Traction sounds epic!!! Cheater gear on slow-speed tech, and a new take on climbing? Sounds like it. :thumbsup:

Mikie, Danmtchl, Old&InTheWay and 5 others like this.
  22. noLungs

noLungs Member

Name:
    Robert
    Current Bike:
    About to flip a coin
    its really insane how good a 29+ climbs. Couple that with the relatively quick steering that stache has, Brett is right, you could scale an elevator shaft.

Mikie, Danmtchl, mike and 5 others like this.
  23. shawndoh

shawndoh Well-Known Member

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!
    Trek Stache dude. It's an all time fun bike!

20180726_152442.jpg

Mikie, Faust29, noLungs and 11 others like this.
  24. kazindeep

kazindeep Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Norm
    good for bike packing and sandy rides

Mikie, Danmtchl, littlewave and 2 others like this.
  25. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    My new ride has room for 29+. I'll give it a shot when I find a deal on tires. Weary about the extra weight on long climbs though.

Mikie, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  26. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Excellent!

I was surprised when I dug into the specs how reasonably light a 29+ wheelset with tires might be. I’m considering ~i35 a “plus” rim, though some might say too narrow. I think the tire pressure/rolling resistance will be the climbing demons. Sounds like we’ll both find out! :geek:

Nice photo, but I’m certain that kind of fun is not what a plus bike will be doing under me. Not so much thinking hardtail either. More like Lenz Behemoth.

Mikie, Danmtchl, littlewave and 4 others like this.
  27. Sassyquatch

Sassyquatch Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sam
    @mike,

Fellow Smashaholic here...(horns up!). I have a Waltworks 29+ 160mm FS and it is also an absolute ripper! I pretty much swap between Smashy and Godzilla (so named) depending on trail conditions, vibe, etc on most of the trails down here.

I’m running 3s on 45mm ID WTB Scrapers (bike is built to handle up to probably 3.5s in 29 or 4.5 in 26), and rear end is around 425 mm long on probably an XXXL size equivalent, so it jumps and manuals really well for wheel size.

Using Minion DHF 3.0 rear and Surly DW 3.0 front and find no sidewalk squirm/flex as long as I go 20 plus psi. I’m 260lbs, so more reasonably sized individuals could probably go much lower.

It is really fun on all the trails around here, and was especially good up in the PNW in the wet season...waaaaay more grip on the wet roots than regular size tires. Currently running a Fox 36 160 fork and Vanilla coil.

Excels in loose and sandy stuff too, so great for blown out summer trail conditions here.

I find it does surprisingly well at Skypark, even Jumpline...flies well despite its weight (full steel and I would be surprised if weighed under 35 pounds...I had Walt build it super bulletproof given my 13 broken frame record thus far, but he can go way lighter). Done some drops in the 7-8 ish foot range on it too which it handles no problem.

I’ve been thrashing it for three years with not a single frame issue so far.

I think it’s a great complement to Smashy overall for me, with Smashy being more trail oriented (in its current setup) and more all day peddleable with the capacity to go pretty big if the spirit moves (though I rarely ride over 2 hrs with the younguns at home).

Walt does full custom and his prices are a bit better than off the shelf companies...wait time can be long, but he is a super cool guy and really easy to work with.

He usually does these in shorter travel, more trail oriented 100-130mm form, but will do pretty much what you prefer....

28. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    That's a bunch of great info – thanks for putting it down, Sam.

Walt has a great reputation by all I can tell. But he made dumb mistake on a steel fork which caused a lot of needless stress having to ship it back to him after spending a day dealing with him and wondering why I couldn't get it to work. He was barely apologetic despite our hard ride schedule. So I honestly have a hard time going to the guy for anything at all. I'm glad you had a great experience with him.

29. Sassyquatch

Sassyquatch Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sam

Oof! Sorry to hear that! I can understand if that would leave a bad taste!

No question on the wheel size in general though! Go for it! I’ve heard good things about Lenz as well...Mikesee on MTBR has a ton of experience testing and riding them and has posted a lot of really well written and photographed posts and blogs on 29+ and Lenz....

Mikie, Faust29, Old&InTheWay and 3 others like this.
  30. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Right 0n, man. Thanks for the positive nudge and all info! :thumbsup:

Mikie, Faust29, Sassyquatch and 3 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?