Is something Burning in OC

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by LLPoolJ, Aug 6, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    They have been doing burns up there for the last several months... we’ve run into the crews between Bedford and Motorway. And they’ve done some north of Motorway, as well.

Some of their equipment was still up on Main Divide when this fire started...

mike, Danmtchl, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  2. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Not obvious to me as we're going into the Santa Ana wind season and they had the controlled burns scheduled for "late October?" Trying to do controlled burns with super dry brush and the high likelihood of Santa Ana winds during the months of October, November and December sounds like a really bad idea.

Yes, there are more high fuel areas out there, but I hope they wait until everything's wet and it takes work to get it to burn.

mike, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  3. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Time lapse video of the holy fire.

mike, Danmtchl, herzalot and 5 others like this.
  4. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    The Holy Fire flareup... a small dessert to finish off the earlier fire.

mike, Danmtchl, Danimal and 2 others like this.
  5. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
  6. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Sounds like we’ll get the north end of the mountain back again soon... and also San Juan Trail on the southern end.

From the Warrior Email:

From the Debra Clark Wilderness and Trails Volunteer Coordinator for the Trabuco District:

The Trabuco Ranger District will be reopening on Friday, September 14. Campgrounds and trails outside the burned area will reopen. Crews are completing the suppression of hot spots and repairing damage caused by firefighting efforts and expect to finish on Thursday.

District Management will determine our next steps and identify needs that volunteers can assist with. I will be sending out requests once that occurs. No one is allowed in the burned area without specific written permission to be in there. The closure extends from Santiago Peak, south to the North Main Divide Road/Long Canyon Road intersection. The closure would include all of the roads and trails within this area, including Coldwater Trail, Holy Jim Trail, Trabuco Trail, East and West Horsethief Trails, Los Pinos Trail, Trabuco Creek Road, Indian Truck Trail, and portions of North Main Divide Road.

DangerDirtyD, mike, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    https://twitter.com/OCFA_PIO/status/1055304216229474305

Trabuco Creek Vegetation Fire: OCFA helo has confirmed 2-3 tree stumps are smoldering deep inside the burned area of the Holy Fire. There is NO THREAT to the surrounding area because there is no fuel (vegetation) to burn.

8. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Sheesh, will this fire ever be over???

9. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Apparently not.
    Seems things can smolder for a long time.

mtnbikej and Cyclotourist like this.
  10. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
  11. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
  12. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Lock him up in the dark and throw the key away. Nobody needs a guy like that roaming freely in public.

Rumpled and Faust29 like this.
  13. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Rumpled, Faust29 and DangerDirtyD like this.
  14. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    It even made the news on NPR...

Rumpled, Faust29 and DangerDirtyD like this.
  15. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Some new details...

https://patch.com/california/rancho...ium=email&utm_term=weather&utm_campaign=alert

RANCHO SANTA MARGARITA, CA — Forrest Gordon Clark, the 51-year-old Trabuco Canyon resident accused of igniting the Holy Fire that blackened 23,000 acres in Orange and Riverside counties, pleaded not guilty to setting the blaze Tuesday.

Clark faces felony charges of aggravated arson damaging at least five inhabited structures, arson of occupied property, arson of forest and making criminal threats. He is accused of setting the Holy Fire, which began in the Holy Jim Canyon area on Aug. 6 and wasn't fully contained until Sept. 13.

The wildfire forced the evacuation of thousands of residents in Orange and Riverside counties and destroyed 18 structures. Rains after the event have caused devastating mudslides for many residents of Trabuco Canyon and Riverside County homes below the affected areas.

During a two-day preliminary hearing in December, Orange County Fire Authority Capt. William Lackey testified that Clark's next-door neighbor in Holy Jim Canyon, Frank Romero, used his phone to record four minutes of the defendant threatening to kill Romero hours before the fire was set.

"Mark my words, you're going to die at 12:37," Clark allegedly said in the recording, which was mostly audio since it was taken through a bathroom window screen that obscures the video, Lackey said.

Subscribe
    Experts suspect the fire started between 12:44 p.m. and 1 p.m. that day, Lackey said.
    "I clap my hands and people die," Clark allegedly said in the recording, Lackey testified. "I can wipe out whole families."

Clark also allegedly said, "I'm (expletive) crazy now, and I can get away with it," according to Lackey. "I have 100 percent plausible deniability."

Romero, who had been having disputes with Clark since he moved next door 18 years ago, left his cabin about 7:30 a.m. the day the fire erupted Aug. 6.

Romero thought the "threats were credible and he was afraid of Mr. Clark," Lackey testified.

The fire captain said a 17-year-old girl and her 17-year-old boyfriend made the first 911 call at 1:16 p.m., saying they saw flames in front of Cabin 15, where Romero lived.
    Several years before the Aug. 6 alleged threats, Clark told Romero, "If you mess with me I'll blow up your truck and burn down your cabin," according to Lackey.

On July 15, Clark accused Romero of breaking into his cabin and stealing from his neighbor, Lackey testified. Clark was involuntarily admitted into a mental health hospital on July 23 and was released six days later, his attorney, Nicole Parness, said.

Also during the hearing, a U.S. Forest Service investigator described his bizarre interview with Clark, who claimed he hadn't slept and had been fasting for 40 days around the time the fire erupted. As a result, Clark said he couldn't be sure if his recollections of what happened that day were just a lucid dream or reality, investigator Albert Banh testified.

Clark never admitted setting the fire, instead blaming it on "Mexicans," and two of his neighbors in Holy Jim Canyon, Frank Romero, and Holy Jim Volunteer Fire Department Chief Michael Milligan, Banh said. Clark claimed Romero and Milligan set the blaze to kill him and his cat, Banh testified.

Clark also complained someone had been stealing his keys and broke a window in his cabin, Banh testified. The defendant also speculated that the fire could have been started with candles, according to the investigator.

At another point, Clark said, "No, but maybe," when asked if he started the blaze, Banh testified.

Banh said he interviewed Clark twice over two days after the fire started in August.
    Parness argued during the hearing that there was no physical evidence linking her client to starting the blaze, and she also argued that prosecutors failed to prove they had enough evidence the cause was even arson.

She also said there was no proof Clark intended to carry out the alleged threats he was making about Romero, especially "given his mental state" at the time.

Deputy District Attorney Jake Jondle argued that the recorded statements of Clark belie claims he was mentally ill at the time.

"Here he's very clear, very explicit," Jondle said, adding the defendant also brags he can "get away with this."

Clark's criminal case was briefly suspended in August when his courtroom outbursts led a judge to voice doubt about his mental competency. Another judge on Nov. 28 found Clark competent to assist in his defense, and criminal proceedings resumed.

City News Service, Patch editor Ashley Ludwig contributed to this report.

OCSD Photo

16. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I'm sorry it took this event to permanently remove Forrest Clark from society. Better late than never.

herzalot and Cyclotourist like this.