New Bike Day!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by littlewave, Jul 5, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Yes! Riprock 20? I'm picking a Fuschia one up tomorrow, for a 12/25 NBD.

2. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Yeah, Riprock 20. I work at a dealer so... This one will be given to my nephew on 12/24.

3. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I was at my LBS this afternoon picking up some Shimano mineral oil.

One of the guys was sealing up a sale for a guy who was purchasing a bike for each of his two kids (from Santa, of course). One of them was similar to the one pictured here, the other one was even smaller (both Specialized).

4. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    Hey guys looking for a mtb for my grandson. He is a natural. 3 years old and rides his strider in the dirt for 5 mile rides. He is ready for the real deal. Any one selling a 14 in wheeled mtb? New or used. Let me know. 909-921-7924 Tom the Bomb.

5. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Specialized goes from 12" to 14, 16, then 20". Gears and hand brakes available on the 20 " and up.

6. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Hi Tom.. my son just turned 3 a few weeks ago and has been shredding his balance bike as well, some dirt included. I have been researching pedal bikes for him and am willing to spend a little more for a bike that will fit him well and not weigh a ton.

Commencal makes some smaller wheeled bikes that look nice and I am looking at their 14” bike as a pedal starter for him which can then be handed down to his little sis when he outgrows it. It weighs ~15lbs and has hand brakes. They have a sizing chart on their site.

https://www.commencalusa.com/Mobile/ramones-14-shiny-alu-2018-c2x23712455
    E78259AD-CD3F-49C7-9AEB-28034B658D98.jpeg

I have also been looking at the Early Rider 16” Belter Trail which is only 12lbs but might be a bit big for my boy at this point.

https://www.rei.com/product/114693/early-rider-limited-belter-16-trail-kids-bike-2017

D6909874-F8A6-476E-8F0D-F9622E01CC56.jpeg

I am still looking around and have a couple/few months before I plan to pull the trigger. There are some good options these days if the plan is to ride dirt and not just do laps in the cul-de-sac. When I was shopping for his balance bike weight was a big factor for me, some kids bikes are just too heavy and would be like us pedaling 150lb rigs.

7. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    That belt drive is awesome!

Mikie, -ROCKY-, Voodoo Tom and 4 others like this.
  8. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    There’s even an upgraded version.. I bought my son’s first “bike” from Early Rider which was the Spherevelo. My daughter rides it now (as seen in my current avatar) but they discontinued them. I have emailed with them before and they seem like a solid company.

34368E60-DB30-4CB5-8E78-ACF58DB21AF0.jpeg

Mikie, -ROCKY-, Tom the Bomb and 7 others like this.
  9. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Light bikes for kids really matter... the weight of some of those things is crazy!
    But I love the over-the-top belt drive, discs, and hydro-formed frame... just a rad bike! Too bad they grow out so fast, it should be adjustable up!

Mikie, -ROCKY-, UPSed and 4 others like this.
  10. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
    Yah, all of the above are too tall for me! o_O

upload_2018-12-21_8-1-56.png

upload_2018-12-21_8-2-11.png

Mikie, Stkx66, -ROCKY- and 12 others like this.
  11. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Tom, check out Woom. My son loves his (although he's not doing 5 mile rides in the dirt...yet).

Mikie, -ROCKY-, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  12. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    Nice , thanks guys!

Mikie, -ROCKY- and Danmtchl like this.
  13. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB140 LR
    Ok here goes! Just bought me a Kona Honzo Woo Hoo!!

See what happened was...I have a Full Sus and an XC hardtail that I love to ride but it is full on race XC and not the funnest when the trails get rougher. I think everyone should have at least 2 bikes. Especially up here in the PNW, one of those bikes should be a hard tail, and most ideally, a hardtail that is trail worthy.

Having a hard tail is good cuz 1 it makes you a better rider and 2 when it’s wet AALLL the time, it requires less maintenance. Because of this I have been keeping my eye on the Kona Honzo because basically it is bad ass. I also had interest in the SC Chameleon. Both these bikes are very similar but my interest had always been more on the Honzo and rolling with a PNW manufacturer.

I am a coach of a newly formed HS MTB team in Maple Valley called Tahoma MTB. This January will be the start of the very first season of this team. Support has been tremendous and a good number of bike shops are behind us. We’re also getting a killer deal off of PNW Components Dropper posts. One of the shop owners let us know he had some smoking deals on the 2019 Honzo so my bud and I decided to jump on it!

Picked up the Honzo on Wed and took it out for its first spin today in killer Winter conditions. Basically climbed until the snow got too much to keep going.

I got the Honzo Carbon. Comes with a basic component spec that I plan on upgrading bit by bit. The bike rides great especially on the descent. Can’t wait to put many miles on this thing. I’ll probably sell my Jeffsy at one point and keep buying and selling new FS bikes, but this bike I will probably have for a long time.

http://www.konaworld.com/honzo_cr.cfm

CE8E77D5-B192-4168-A4C0-6E6836B4B349.jpeg

A3EF92D0-D7E5-47AA-BC6B-20188F3C8603.jpeg

9F4A70E5-F0EB-48DD-AE0F-19192639D5D6.jpeg

57F8BDA1-E40E-4D84-B9FD-4E6E0D700CF4.jpeg

14. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    I love Honzos, wish I had the skills for a HT.

15. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Right on @Cisco Roots Kona’s are bad ass bikes. They were way ahead of the low long and slack trend. I saw one of the titanium honzo’s a while back at Acton trail and was instantly in love.

16. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Looks like a GREAT bike!

And good job on the HS coaching! I don't know what the PNW scene is like but the SoCal events are FANTASTIC. While it is a lot of time commitment, I think you will find it incredibly rewarding!

17. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Nice going @Cisco Roots! :thumbsup:

Looks like my Timberjack in geo and sleekness. It's gonna do anything you've got the nerve to do so don't doubt it's capability. These modern hardtails love it when the trail is pointed downhill.

Fueledbyex8, Mikie, Danmtchl and 5 others like this.
  18. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Freaking awesome bike! Hardtails are the shıt!
    I agree with your reasoning and I think my time in the PNW reinforced my belief that you need a weather-ready bike and some good outerwear to handle that weather.
    So rad rocking those knees in the snow!
    Get some!

Fueledbyex8, Mikie, Danmtchl and 7 others like this.
  19. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Don't tell me what it weighs. :stop: I love the Chameleon, but I'd love it a lot more in plastic. :Roflmao

Congratuations on the bike and your new coaching gig! Good to know that the kids have a good guy in their corner... :thumbsup:

OTHRider, Fueledbyex8, Mikie and 9 others like this.
  20. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Yeah, a CF lizard would be pretty awesome!

21. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB140 LR
    If it makes ya feel better, its really not that light probably due to the components and beefy tires. Weighs about as much as my Jeffsy!
    Yessir! My revelation this year for me has been arm warmers and a vest. Works good for me even in the low 30’s. I just make sure to keep moving to keep my core warm. :thumbsup:

22. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Sweet!! Coaching gig and bike. Nice going, Cisco.

The Honzo/Pedalhead/etc concept is a lot of fun. Eh?? Super light weight wouldn’t make them more fun going down, and most of them pedal so well it doesn’t matter much climbing. I wish my back could do more hardtail riding, but I do love them, and that aggro style with mega standover is the funnest HT MTB, IMO. BMX meets MTB.

23. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Double fist pump for new bike!
    IMG_20181224_151516.jpg

30 seconds later

IMG_20181224_151707.jpg

24. -ROCKY-

-ROCKY- Well-Known Member

Name:
    Rocky
    SWEET!!! :thumbsup:

herzalot, Tom the Bomb, Mikie and 7 others like this.
  25. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Awesome :thumbsup::thumbsup:

He is going to be hooked. If he only knew how many thousands of dollars his bike addiction will cost him over a lifetime. Did you warn him about upgrade-itis, building up a stable and "I broke something - time for a new bike"?

26. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    That’s awesome!!!! Hope the little guy grows up riding bikes with Dad :thumbsup:

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, rossage and 3 others like this.
  27. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Lars is the son of my older brother, a life-long cyclist, who passed away 2 years ago from cancer.

The look of pure joy

mmexport1545720570559.jpg
    mmexport1545720457878.jpg

28. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

The smile says it all! Saying with confidence, that should keep him off the computer, one of the saved!

Tom the Bomb, Grego, MolarM and 9 others like this.
  29. -ROCKY-

-ROCKY- Well-Known Member

Name:
    Rocky
    Thanks for sharing these pictures @rossage ! You've caught an aspect of Christmas very dear to me and I'm sure a lot of us, it has really made my day! :thumbsup:

30. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I shed a tear. Or two.

and the Grinch's heart grew two sizes that day...

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?