Someone asked

Discussion in 'Crash Confessions' started by mike, Dec 18, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    And some have expressed concern/inquired what happened to me on my solo ride of Blackjack that resulted in injury. I explained it thusly in a PM:

I finally tried a double black that requires some air and has a terrible runout. I crashed my first try with weight too far back, so I figured I'd try again. I then supermnanned into a big rock and decided to tone it down. I went down again on the last 2black and really felt the accumulated damage, and I had some miles to ride out after that.

With some introspection, I can't muster posting the vids. Not because the crashes make me cringe to watch or look like a hack (they do both), but I just need to check myself at this point. I need to connect a little more with myself and my normal survival instincts, and adamantly trying to release at-ones-limit vid productions is not really conducive to that. So...pardon me while I dig into this big slice of humble pie.

My wrist will keep me off bike for a couple-few weeks. (Terminally weak wrists, as @Faust29 has seen.) But I'm stoked to have no leg injuries and be able to drive. Thanks for your concern and nice words!

2. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Maybe eat just a small slice. You don't want to stuff yourself. There's more riding to be had in 2019! Hang in there my friend!

3. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    Wishing you a speedy recovery brother. Its a prime time of year to take it easy for a few weeks.

4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Dang @mike I always thought you were indestructible.

Sucks to hear.

Heal up and get back at it.

5. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Ouchie. You'll be back at it in no time.

6. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I'm with you on the build-up of previous injuries and how they compound over time.
    My Achilles heel, pun intended, are my hands, specifically my pinkie fingers.
    These poor piggies have been smashed, broken, and dislocated so many times that they are having a tough time doing their job-mainly picking dirt boogers and digging ear wax.
    The left is the worst, clicking and popping and actually freezing up during the night.
    The right was recently healed from a 2nd knuckle dislocation when I dragged it over a boulder at speed. Without Gloves I would've lost the nail but either way, it's fücked again.
    So, your wrist might be jacked up but you can still pick your nose...aint life wonderful?

7. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
  8. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    I kind of geek out on these types of discussions. It's interesting when something that many consider simply a hobby transitions into something that you put a lot of yourself into spiritually and emotionally (and physically). The rewards of progress and accomplishment are not trivial. When you're older, and it takes longer to heal, and family members depend on your healthy and functioning meat suit to sustain their daily lives as well, the risks are not trivial either. I've only had the slightest taste of that on a mtb, but have gone to some depths in other pursuits. It's a mindf*ck to be sure, but also part of allure. Anyway, glad to hear your injuries aren't as serious is they could have been. Cheers to a speedy recovery.

9. kingaucho

kingaucho Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    Sorry to hear this, Mike!

Get well.

10. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I cringed just reading it. And there was some in the chair body english going on! F@ck! :(

As bad as it is now, I know you'll get centered again...

11. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Bummer dude, heal up soon.

12. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    And the Brass Ballz award goes to...... @mike!!! :thumbsup:

Not only did he go back for seconds, he went back for thirds! :eek::D

13. -ROCKY-

-ROCKY- Well-Known Member

Name:
    Rocky
    Soooooo,. there's video of this??? :geek:. Healing vibes mike!!! ;)

14. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I don't want to see it. :stop:

15. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    Sorry to hear this @mike Hoping for a quick recovery!

16. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    we go thru cycles... when we just get stoked and ride faster and faster ... and then crash... then take it easy... but get complacent ....

17. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Hehe, you guys rock. Thanks for the nice words. :thumbsup:

@buggravy, I agree that the mental aspects are fascinating. You come from other risk sports, so might be more immersed in risk management than some. Mind fck is exactly what it can be, and I mean that endearingly. When one needs to sweep the attic, there's nothing like it. In the other direction, it's easy to dial it back in MTB and still have a lot of fun. A big subject...

This shows the Hit Me feature from below, where I blew it twice. Tricky runout with rocks and DG. That rock to my left looking downhill stopped me on my second try.

http://www.ousleycreative.com/misc/hitme.mp4

18. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Wow, just saw this. Dang I don't even see the run in/where the trail comes from, but could sure see how that rock would be in the way on the second drop. Heeling vibes.

19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    @mike thank you for sharing this bit of physical and emotional pain with your extended crew here. Sounds like this hit you hard between the ears, and is causing some reflection. That's a good thing, ultimately, as I know you know that I know that you know...that. o_O

Heal those wrists and the rest will follow. See you next week! :thumbsup: (I'm only partly joking here).

20. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

After seeing the vid, HOLLY Sh!t MIKE! Looks like no room between the entrance, more like getting spit out! Heal up and get after it!

21. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Holy crap @mike I knew if it was a challenge for you then it was f'ing gnarly but damn I don't even see a line and we all know video never really does justice. Take pride in the fact that the sh!t you ride thru and make look easy leaves the rest of us standing there wondering WTF did he just do? Going back for a couple of redo's just to try and make it your b!tch is just next level toughness and quite frankly something I can't fathom. Heal fast bud and leave the real death defying stuff to the young dudes who simply don't know any better yet.

Old&InTheWay, OTHRider, mike and 5 others like this.
  22. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Yikes. Heal up.

23. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Looks doable :whistling:

I’m starting to look into full body pads myself ;)

Take it easy for a bit? Maybe some CBDs to the rescue :sneaky::cool:

OTHRider, rossage, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  24. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Well at least you have a good story:eek: and some time to reflect, then it’s back on that horse!! Hope your wrist heals to 100% and is speedy! Injuries suck but I’m learning that they can teach us a lot!

25. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    That made me smile, Tom. Wise words. You busted me for being an old dude that still (at times?) doesn’t know any better. But doesn’t have the youthful bod to back it up. Probably all part of this whole growing up thing that I’ve mostly refused to adopt.

@herzalot, yep, you know I know you know! Holler if you have wiggle room out here for whatever you can or want to swing. I’m down with helping you get a ride in, whatev that means; conditions shaping up well for ya. If you don’t have it: nyne for nine 500 55 ate 2. FYI, GG Shredquarters will be closed from 12/23 through 1/1. PS: My M Smash is probably too small for you, but you’re welcome to ride it if you like.

26. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Healing vibes mike! Be careful out there.

mike, mtnbikej and mountaingirl sara like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?