Injury Experience

Discussion in 'Health' started by Poofighter, Apr 30, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Poofighter

Poofighter Member

Name:
    Noel
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Shortboy
    It was good to finally meet mtnbikej at Rwanda, and we chatted about a shoulder injury that we both had and is somewhat common among bikers. Back on str after I had my injury, I PM’d Jason with 20 questions on what to expect with the surgery and the PT recovery. He was a wealth of info, so even though the whole process was new to me, I had an idea of what to expect and am still thankful for him sharing.

I started thinking (and yes it hurt) about a thread that could help others who get similar injuries, whether it be knee, back, shoulder whatever all in one location?

With that said I’ll start it off. Back in 2012 crashed and broke the humeral head in several places. The ortho called me 2 days later and scheduled an appointment for the next day, which was great as I didn’t have to call him. Doc decided to wait a week to make sure I didn’t have an infection as I had dirt rash all over. He also explained that he was going to install a plate and screws to hold it all together and the plate is staying in.

normal not mine, but I wish
    normal.jpg

the break
    pre surgery.jpg

Had the surgery and all went as planned. 4 weeks after the surgery light PT starts. According to the physical therapist you only get 3 months (post surgery) to get your range of motion back, so what you got it at that point is what you’ll have for life. He also told me that I would only get about 85-90% motion due to the severity of my injury. Efff him, I need more than 90% of my right arm back! I took PT seriously and did all of the exercises and then some. I even paid out of pocket to a masseuse to break up the excess scar tissue. Some of what the PT does to you hurts as much as the break itself, but is necessary to get those ligaments to release. 3 months later 98% of motion back.

hardware installed
    broke hardware.jpg

I thought all was done and got back on the bike about 5 months later starting with a road ride, then fully, and working my way back to riding normal trails. A little after that, I noticed some pain when I raised my arms out to the side and up (similar motion to a jumping jack). It turns out that I had an impingement due to the extra thickness of the plate was hitting the acromion. I thought I was just being a wuss and just dealt with it. I had a final exam with the ortho and voiced my concern and when he saw a hump near the collar bone when I lifted my arm, he knew something was effed up and we decided to remove the hardware. I had to have pretty much the same surgery to remove the plate, but the recovery time and PT was only a couple months. Oh and the removal of the foreign object got me to 100% range of motion, but have creaking and will undoubtedly have arthritis in the area.

hardware removed and if you look close you can see the screw holes.
    hardware removal.jpg

What do you got?

2. BigTex

BigTex Member

Name:
    Richard
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Les
    I don't have any cool x-rays with metal bits, but had a somewhat similar injury. Landed hard on my left shoulder at Northstar. (By the way, thank God for full-face helmets - I'd be even uglier if I wasn't wearing one.) Tore my rotator cuff, bicep tendon and had some fractures in the humeral head, but not as severe as yours. Surgery was in order, but not until the fractures healed, and that turned out to be a good thing. Torn rotator cuffs usually don't heal themselves. But because of the fractures, enough extra blood was flowing to the area to repair it that the rotator cuff healed in the three months I had to wait for surgery. Granted, I was in a lot of pain for those three months because of miscellaneous tendon bits floating around in my shoulder. Once the doctor went in for surgery, he found that all he needed to do was clean it out and shave some bone. I didn't have to have my arm immobilized for six weeks as usual in the case of a repaired rotator cuff, and could begin PT immediately. And, yes, PT sucks.

Apparently nothing can be done about the bicep tendon, so I'm missing one connection there (and I'm told that bodybuilders, if they rip one, rip the other, because it creates more definition in the bicep, and I can see the difference between the two). I have 95-100 percent of the range of motion, depending on the day, and it still feels a bit tight at the limits. Four years later it's also not up to full strength, but close. The shoulder doc also says I'll need a new one someday.

One thing he told me as soon as I saw him the first time was that I should start swimming in the interim until I could have the surgery. Goes a long way toward keeping the shoulder from freezing up. I could only do the breaststroke during that time, but I think it helped. And I have somewhat kept at it, and it even pushed me toward doing some triathlons, although I've slacked off on both the swimming and the running in the past year.

Mikie, Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and 8 others like this.
  3. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Great to have a support thread for people losing it mentally over temporarily losing it physically. That’s the crux of most injuries, keeping sane.

When you see bones sticking out or get a chopper ride, you can assume you’ll be off the bike a few days. If all else fails, know that some poor F got way more busted up than you and survived the hopelessness to reign again.

Onward!...

Mikie, Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and 5 others like this.
  4. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Looooong road ahoe....

Mikie, Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I am sure I have posted this before......

July 30, 2011.....riding back from Old Camp with a buddy. I was flying down STT on my El Mariachi. At about 20-24 mph I hit the rock garden above the turn where the Jeeps/Mercedes got stuck. Before I knew it, I was seeing sky-brush-ground-sky-brush-ground-sky-brush-ground. Yeah, I rag dolled pretty well. Picked up self up before my buddy caught up. Shoulder was sore, but I was able to move it so I figured I just jammed it. Didn't have that numb feeling you get when you break your collarbone. Buddy changed out my flat while I gathered myself. Got back on and finished the ride to the Luge and down. The back of my left arm, shoulder and back were covered in road rash. Loaded up and headed home.

Next day at work, just dealt with the discomfort of my shoulder and road rash. I was having a bit of trouble lifting my arm straight up in front of me.....ok to the side. The following day driving to lunch, I had a panic grab of the steering wheel with my left hand.....the pain was bad. Now my pain tolerance is high....but that hurt...alot. Finally decided to call my Orthopedic and got in the next day. He was the same one that fixed my ankle 18 months earlier. "What did you do this time?" was his response. A couple of X-rays and he says it hurts like that cause you broke it.

Turns out instead of tearing my rotator cuff, the muscle/ligament pulled a chunk of bone off of the Humerus. The displacement was minimal, so we decided to put it in a sling and see if the displacement got any bigger....if it didn't, most likely it would heal on its' own....if it did, then going under the knife would be an option. Well after 3 weeks and me not following directions too well, the bone displaced too much. So under the knife I went.

photo4.jpg

During surgery, my ortho found a hairline fracture down the Humerus....thus the extra long plates. This fracture didn't show up in the X-Rays or MRI. Guess I was close to making the injury even worse. So I ended up with a plate and 9 screws.

ShoulderHW.JPG

So I would spend the next 6 weeks with my arm immobilized.....that sucked. I also took no opioid pain killers following surgery.

Following the 6 weeks immobilized, I was cleared for physical therapy. First 2 weeks were passive....meaning the therapist did all the work. 3-4 days a week, he massaged the area around my shoulder. He quickly learned that my tolerance for pain was high. He kept commenting that the way he was manipulating my shoulder should be causing pain. After 2 weeks of passive, I was finally able to begin strength training and regaining range of motion. Abou 2 weeks into strength training I took it upon myself to get back on the bike. I took it easy, but was again riding.

PT continued for another 8 weeks or so. About 6 weeks in, my therapist did finally find a spot while working on some scar tissue....made my toes curl....OUCH!!!!

Late December I finished PT. Had my final appointment with my Ortho Feb. 1.....the weekend before we went to Palm Canyon....hit a rock the wrong way and went OTB. I told him the next weekend...."you fixed it up good.....tested it out last weekend and it held up fine".

I got about 98% ROM back.....the other 2%....well I am not very flexible to start with. There are still a couple of spots on my back I can't reach, but I can live with it.

6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I dislocated a shoulder once in a crash I still don't remember (2014). Physical therapy was a bitch. Did it in March, riding again in May.

I broke a small bone in my left hand in a crash in which my left hand never hit the ground. Boxer's break. Did it on April 2, 2016. Surgery on April 6. Was riding again on April 30.

Dislocated my hip in a ski race in 1999. They took me to Vail Valley Medical, morphined me up, threw me on the ground, sat two orderlies on me and put the femur back in the socket. Evidently I was yelling pretty good, but I don't remember. I went back to the after-race party and let the guys buy me beers. Zero rehab time from the injury or from the beer/morphine cocktail. To be fair, the morphine had mostly worn off by the time I started with beer - else I suppose it could have been fatal.

If you would like more information about any of these three injuries, feel free to ask.

7. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Faaaacccckkk! Just got back from my ortho for follow up on rotator cuff repair. I’m currently 9 weeks post op. Doc says recovery is going perfectly, but that I should wait the full 5 months before getting back on the mountain bike (and snowboard). We either miscommunicated, or I had selective hearing, but this timeline is more grim than what I remembered discussing with him. Bumming pretty hard right now, as I was expecting to be back out on some easy trails, and on snow, in the next 6 or so weeks. He did say I can at least get back on the comfort bike somewhat imminently and follow my kid around, so I’ll be able to ride with her after Santa brings her new bike. I know I can, and perhaps will get out a little sooner if I feel up to it, but also know I’d be riding a little scared with his words echoing in my head. Argh.

8. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    :cry:

9. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Yowch, what ya gonna do, though? Pay to play, as always. Healthy skepticism toward HCPs that are not athletes, tune into biofeedback, default to extra healing and conservative outings so as not to re-injure. Pace yourself and you'll be bomber for when the time comes. Stay on the good hydration, nutrition and PT. Shred later. :)

10. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    That’s tough to take in but time flies, you’ll see. Just keep busy with what you can do and the day will come when you can play rough again before you know it.

11. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Words of wisdom. Being someone who has always prioritized fitness, and taken a sort of academic approach to a lot of aspects of it, I do feel like I'm pretty in tune with my body. 5 months is just a number not really taking any variables into account, so maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised and ahead of the curve. Was more just a change in his tone that threw me a bit, as he was much more ominous about the likelihood and repercussions of a re-injury. I remember just before surgery he said "you'll probably be surprised how quickly you bounce back" when we were discussing timelines, so I latched on to that pretty hard. But like you said - pay to play.

12. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    You sound like a good candidate for quick recovery, Matt. Oddly enough, it's mostly mental; keeping sane while off your routine. But we all get to do it eventually, some a bunch of times, FFS... :bang::cool:

13. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Long road ahoe...

Faust29, mike, Voodoo Tom and 7 others like this.
  14. Poofighter

Poofighter Member

Name:
    Noel
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Shortboy
    Be diligent with your PT and it will pay dividends in the end. Might even make your recovery quicker, so you can get back on the bike. Best of luck!!!

Faust29, mike, Voodoo Tom and 4 others like this.
  15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Sorry to hear this. Wishing you patience and solid healing.

Faust29, Danmtchl, mike and 3 others like this.
  16. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    I feel your frustration! It’s all about finding a replacement, running, some good steep hikes etc.
    Hope it all goes better than the Dr predicted!:thumbsup: Athletes heal quicker than non athletes.

Faust29, Danmtchl, mike and 6 others like this.
  17. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    My Chiropractor told me 4 months minimum for my fractured pelvis episode. This after 8 weeks of bone regeneration. I was mentally devastated... at first. Then I just set out to prove him wrong (in a positive way).
    Super water hydration to include replacing heavy dinners with organic berry and protein smoothies every night as a replacement. Fat burning heart rate zone motion activity equals blood flow for healing and you lose weight. Stay super active less injury inducing efforts.

I whoop out the imtbMagic8Ball and predict 2 months tops! :thumbsup:

Supah charged healing vibes! :geek:
    This will be over before you know it!

18. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Did you check out that Swift thread??:Roflmao I have no desire to use a trainer, or treadmill for that matter, but this is probably the best use for it!

19. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I second this big time!

20. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Tweaked my lower back a few weeks ago, not sure when or how but don't think it was while biking. I've never had major lower back issues before so didn't think much of it, kept riding, hiking and lifting stuff. It was intermittent and I could adjust position on the bike to where it was bearable. But by Christmas Eve I was having more consistent sharp pains, to where I could only walk gingerly. Did mostly nothing for three days, and it was feeling some better, so did some hiking but no biking. Hasn't gotten worse, but not much better either.

Today I went to the ortho, and he said most likely over-use of degenerating discs in an old back. Put me on two weeks of Medrol steroids and three weeks of PT. He said I could bike, on flat paved surfaces. I told him that's not how mountainbiking works. So I guess I'm off for a few weeks, hoping the meds and PT do their thing. I won't be pushing through back pain again. Not a good start to the year (or end to the last). :(

21. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    No bueno, sorry to hear this...hope your back mends soon and you’re riding dirt painfree!

mike, Cyclotourist, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  22. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Dang, sorry to hear. Low back stuff sucks. I've had my fair share of lower back tweaks, and at least in my experience even the pretty bad ones would subside after a couple/few weeks. Fingers crossed for you.

23. knucklebuster

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Thanks Sara, I'll race you back to the dirt! :)

Thanks, I don't know what to expect, so your info helps me have some idea, just hoping I didn't screw something up bad. And best wishes for your full recovery from rotator cuff tear. My wife had that a few years ago, I won't give you details 'cause it wasn't and still isn't a nice story.

24. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Thanks as well, and sorry to hear about your wife.

I started with a new PT today. She's actually the one that did my PT when I did the other shoulder, and she was amazing. Today reminded me why I felt that way. Going against my gut I didn't go to her for this one because she's out of network on my current insurance plan so substantially more expensive, and also a 30 - 40 minute drive from where I live now. But have been feeling like my current PT is just phoning it in, and not accomplishing much. Glad to be making the switch, and hope/feel like this will turbo charge my recovery.

25. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    :(:(:( heal up soon bud. Keep up the hiking if you can while of the bike; it should help. 4 years ago i had a major episode of back pain, could hardly get out of bed! It resolved completely in a few weeks.

26. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    @knucklebuster, summon patience, pal. Back stuff is tricky. I’ve dealt with it for decades. Keeping hydrated is underrated IMO, and ice is a miracle drug. A freezer gel pack held in place by a neoprene back brace is a great way to ice on the go and stealthily. Best wishes for self correction and relief!

27. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    You’re on Mr:sneaky:

mike, knucklebuster and Faust29 like this.
  28. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Aaaaaaand yoga:)
    Seriously tho, I’ve dealt with low back issues as well (slight scoliosis) and by strengthening my core and moving my spine, the episodes are now rare:thumbsup:

29. knucklebuster

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Thanks Guys, I remember a few years ago you both having a flare ups and had to rest. Knew it must be bad if you weren't riding with it. Early on I tried icing and it made the back very stiff and more pain, where I could hardly get off the couch after. On the other hand a heating pad seemed to help. Honestly it's better now to where I would normally try a ride, but recency bias tells me I don't want to risk going back to that intense pain, wait until it's fully healed. Will follow the program and hope I come out stronger and don't have this again, not soon at least. :thumbsup:

30. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    I've not used this personally, but a lot of people seem to swear by it, so might be worth checking out:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0446392308/?tag=imtbtrails-20

knucklebuster and Cyclotourist like this.