Prescription Sport Sun Glasses

Discussion in 'Eye Wear' started by Mikie, Dec 9, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Lately I have been wearing my prescription glasses riding.
    I hate ‘em!
    At speed the wind curls around the lenses and my eyes water so badly, I can barely see.
    No bueno.
    I’ve tried contacts... and I rolled around on the ground like Gollum with a rope around his neck, “It burns! It burns!!”
    I bought some Rockgardn sports glasses off Jenson’s .... DON’T! Their customer service SUCKS. I would imagine you would have to HAVE customer service to say it sucks. Contacted them twice, once asking about replacement lens and the other time was one of the arms broke and was looking to buy a replacement and they never got back to me either time. This of course after I blew a wad of money on their prescription insert that snaps in behind the shade lens. It magnified my vision so bad I was disoriented. I just went on Jenson’s and they no longer carry Rockgardn sports glasses, so I went to Rockgardn and THEY don’t carry them, in fact, I’m not sure what Rockgardn does anymore.

Is there a solid brand you can get your prescription carved in to that does not cost a fortune?

2. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    I wear contacts, so I don’t have any experience with prescription sunglasses, but my wife did pick up some Oakley prescription glasses for riding from her optometrist and likes them a lot. The best part is that her vision insurance picked up most of the cost. We used our HSA to pay for the rest so it was zero out of pocket. I think they can pretty much do prescription lenses for most Oakley frames so if you had an old pair with scratched lenses your optometrist may be able to order just the lenses for you.

3. Jmsracer

Jmsracer Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    John
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB130
    I think you get what you pay for. I used to have single vision Oakley sunglasses, as I’ve gotten older and my vision has gotten worse I bought progressive sunglasses (also Oakley) Took my prescription into their Lobby store in Foothill Ranch and ordered from them. After 4-5 years, the lenses have some small scratches (as expected) that you’d never notice while riding. The quality of the lenses are top notch and depending on what frames you pick, shouldn’t have any issues with wind. For me it’s money well spent given I ride 2-3 times a week. Hope that helps..

4. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Light, strong, cheap. Pick any two. :Roflmao

I have Oakley Five Squared prescription, and they were about $400. My insurance covered some, I covered the rest. They are wraparound and so I don't have the wind issue. Totally worth the money, to me. I can't stand wearing my regular glasses while riding either.

5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Maui Jim for me... Light and strong. But sometimes I just go without. All the rocks just sort of blend together that way, and it increases the pucker factor. :thumbsup:

Cyclotourist, H2oChick, mike and 2 others like this.
  6. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    I should probably get my eyes checked one of these years since I never have. For now I just wear clean gloves to wipe away the tears and close my eyes and let my bike do the work when the going gets too rough. Sorry no help here but it’s the truth.

Cyclotourist, mike, mtbMike and 2 others like this.
  7. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Perhaps some laser surgery on the eyes to get them better focused for riding, @Mikie?

8. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    I was thinking the same thing. My sight is horrible. I have a close relative that swears laser helped her out significantly. But $4000, yikes.

mike, UPSed, Mikie and 1 other person like this.
  9. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I dont wear my prescription glasses when I ride. I have astigmatism so I can just squint my way through the ride.
    I currently use Smith Pivlock Max and I've been impressed by the quality and their customer service. I broke a replaceable nosepiece and they sent me a brand new set of glasses, with lenses and case.
    Durable, light, relatively cheap, and they do prescriptions.
    Good luck on the search

10. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Don't wear prescription glasses except for reading, but..
    Just today bought a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses that have a small area in the lower part of the lens for reading, so bi-focals.
    Not my exact prescription ( although it is available) but so far seems great for doing whatever outside and still being able to read.
    I swear by Maui Jim for driving, and oakley for riding.

11. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I had PRK (pre Lasik) in '96. My vision was corrected to 20/15 in my right eye and 20/20 in my left. Best $2000 I ever spent.

Cyclotourist, HBkites, mike and 3 others like this.
  12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I have gone with contacts since 1994. I have only had issues with them a few times since then. Only lost 2 or 3 on the trail in the 40k miles I have ridden.

13. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    You actually should get them checked. I hadn't had mine checked for almost 25 years. When I finally went in at age 50 "just for the heck of it" because I had no complaints, I was told my optic nerves had too much pressure which is apparently a precursor to glaucoma. Long story short, I'll be putting drops in my eyes every night for the rest of my life. I could also get some sort of laser surgery but that's no guarantee I won't have to still do the drops so I've put it on the back burner for now.

14. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Did you have any symptoms of that? Or did he have some other way to tell. I've got no complaints about my eyesight either but am also the only one in my entire family who doesn't wear glasses. I don't think glaucoma has run in the family but then I also haven't paid much attention.

@Mikie check out Sport RX. When you order prescription lenses for oakley, smith and other brands these are the guys that are probably making those lenses. Migth as well go direct. They are based in SD. https://www.sportrx.com/about-sportrx

15. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    This looks good. Thanks for posting @evdog . My eyes are not bad enough to require me to drive with glasses but when I wear regular riding glasses the distortion drives me crazy. My vision is worse when I use them but I like the protection and don't like tearing up. This might be caused by the cheap glasses I use but I have noticed it with better ones too. I'm like @rossage and have astigmatism. That might be a factor too.
    I also noted that they take insurance and my plan is one they mentioned. They also say you can use your Flexible Spending Account $.
    I'm going to check into this.:thumbsup:

Cyclotourist, rossage, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  16. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Nope, no symptoms at all and still don’t. They have some crazy technology that actually can look behind/through your eyes at the optic nerves. I was surprised at the “pressure” diagnosis since I would have assumed I would have felt something.

I don’t have any family members with glaucoma either that I know of and have no idea what causes it. Maybe too much Mexican food? In any case, my optic nerve pressure has been at normal rates for quite some time but I’ll never be completely out of the woods.

Cyclotourist, evdog, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  17. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I could not get comfortable using corrective lenses for nearsightedness while riding and climbing. Something about the distortion or ??

I compromised and got 50% of my normal prescription strength in an Oakley Flak Jacket. The ‘scrip works as I’d hoped. I’ve never been a fan of wearing sunnies, tho. Nose bridge way too prominent to keep out wind and UV. Maybe keep a branch out of my eye.

Cyclotourist, Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  18. BigTex

BigTex Member

Name:
    Richard
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Les
    Check out Rudy Project - they have a prescription insert that slips in behind the lens and it works well. That said, I also have astigmatism and found that I don't need the prescription when riding, although it does help make the stick/snake distinction a bit sooner. I do wear my Rudys for dawn/dusk rides since they're photoreactive, but have recently acquired some Smiths that so far I really like.

Cyclotourist, Mikie, CBone and 2 others like this.
  19. Oaken

Oaken Well-Known Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    I’ve posted this before - I fought getting Oakleys for a long time and tried other Rx options. I finally went with Oakleys and now I don’t want anything else.

20. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    I had Lasik done about 18 years ago, and to this day, it is the best investment ever!
    Unfortunately, good things don't last forever. After turning 50, I'm back to wereing glasses at night, and one day soon I might need them for riding....
    When that happens I'll try to do a second Lasik (if possible)

21. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
    Check out Sport Rx down in San Diego. @cajun has used them on several occasions. As the others have said, good prescription sport glasses are not cheap. I think his last pair were Under Armor frames with Rx lenses.
    But I too invested in laser and so far it has saved me probably over $1k in glasses/sunglasses.
    Some things you just can't go cheap -

22. ~JB~

~JB~ Member

Name:
    Juan B Garcia
    Current Bike:
    2019 RFX
    My eyes.. Been an eyeglasses wearer all my life.. then contacts at age 14.. now can't read so the what ever tilt your head glasses.. My vision is at -7/-7.5 (yes coke bottles)some where around there. Wear contacts with one weaker than the other so I can read the cycle computer/cell phone when done riding. Will I ever get surgery don't think so.. over 50 .. need the money for the bike..

Cyclotourist, UPSed, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  23. SeemaGyani

SeemaGyani Guest

Okay. Well, the pain is real. I have suffered the falling of my regular prescription glasses N number of times, which is not fun. Contacts well yeah, they don't go well with the air drag and the surrounding dust. So, I dedicated a lot of time to find a pair that will cover my entire eye and help me enjoy my bike rides without the pain of not enjoying the surroundings.

Mikie likes this.
  24. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Thanks a Bot!

Oaken and mtnbikej like this.
  25. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    No doubt

Mikie likes this.
  26. SeemaGyani

SeemaGyani Guest

You guys are hilarious. Love your creativity

27. furball

furball Member

Name:
    furball
    For the last few years I've used Ray-Ban Daddy O's like these: https://www.ray-ban.com/usa/sunglasses/RB2016 MALE 004-daddy-o ii-black/805289626541.

The black frames are rubbery, stay put, last forever & don't let air through the nose bridge. I work w/ the optometrist/ophthalmologist to bring the focal point up since I use mostly the top half of the lens (distortion increases with distance from it). Been using Transition XTRActive (gray) which adjust the tint relative to brightness & block UV light & really dig them. Did single vision while my regular pair & sunglasses are progressive, don't need the bifocal element for my fairly bad nearsightedness (+/-6).

Ebay has good prices, the Daddy O's were 50 & I got a pair of Maui Jim's for half of retail for my regular sunnies.

Faust29, ronyslav1, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  28. ronyslav1

ronyslav1 Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Ronyslav Crashynskiy
    thanks everyone!

Mikie likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?