Great article about mtn bike cost

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Derkderkall, Oct 16, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
  2. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
  3. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    I agree and with a wife that works in the biotech field (coming up with new medicines), I can fully appreciate the costs to develop new products. People love to complain about the cost of something but they have no concept of how many millions, or 100's of millions of dollars are spent to come up with a product. That company is in business to make money and turn a profit for their investors so they need to price their products accordingly. My wife's company took 16 years to develop their 1st drug and get it approved by the FDA. Less than 18 months later, another company had another product for the same disease that worked better and my wife's company product was essentially dead in the water. It's a dog eat dog world out there.

4. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    As a small business owner myself pricing my services properly is a constant struggle. I do not dicount, I am to skilled for that. Find someone else is a famous line of mine when the subject comes up. I get to pick and choose my clients for the most part. But sometimes I pick wrong and waste my time for months before it becomes apparent. I could not imagine the risks one would have to take to develop a product and get it to market. I give anyone credit who does and will pay the asking price of a quality product without question.

5. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Really weird how that stuff works too. Investors generally only care about the next quarters profits (see that all the time at my work), and yet some businesses don't run quarter to quarter. If I remember right, we are something like 8 years into producing a certain part, and we are ALMOST breaking even on the cost of making it. But, we'll be heavily profitable at the 20 year mark. But the investors need to see returns 3 months from now, so all kinds of weird crap gets done to make the balance sheets look good short term that costs long term (renting equipment for years at a time as an example).

6. Earn Your View

Earn Your View Member

Name:
    Bryan
    Current Bike:
    2013 Charge Cooker
    I really enjoyed and learned a lot from both articles. Thanks for sharing them.

7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Good read, but nothing earth shattering.

Cheaper & heavier materials.....less engineering....less R&D....cheaper labor.

Sucks that people that don't know any better think they are getting quality just because the part says Shimano on it.

Sidewalk likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?