Gravity Dropper

Discussion in 'Dropper Seat Posts' started by Mikie, Sep 19, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I have a Gravity Dropper on my Yeti. First Dropper I ever bought in 2014 and it is still working flawlessly!
    But because it was my first Dropper, I had it set up to drop only 3 inches because that is what my OEM Seat Post would drop when I would drop it manually. Silly mistake but live and learn.

Cathy wants a dropper on her bike and my GD will fit the need perfectly as I want to get another dropper for my Yeti. (I really still enjoy riding my Yeti on certain trails!)
    The dilemma is I am limited on options as I can only install an external cable, and I would not hesitate to buy another GD but they are so dahm ugly with that accordion boot on them. Some have taken them off and they look as normal as any other Dropper, but I worry that, that will shorten the life of the unit. Got a be a reason for the Boot other than it's good looks, right?

I hear about all you guys with your failed Droppers and it also drives me back to GD.
    Maybe I buy another GD, remove the hideous boot, and custom fit a neoprene seal at the retraction point.

Are there other Mechanical Droppers that are external cable mount out there other than E13 which I totally wish would work on my bike! :mad:

Gravity Dropper Turbo LP... Reliable But Ugly as Sin! Looks like Farm Equipment. :oops:
    GD.Turbo.LP.jpg

E-13 Dropper... Sexy Mechanical, Trouble Free! But only internal cabling! :mad:
    E13.Dropper.jpg

What to Do... What to Do...?

2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    1. Drill a hole in the bottom of the seat tube and run internal routing.

2. KS makes a couple posts that still have external routing.

3. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Fox Transfer has external and is available with 100, 125 or 150mm drop. Not going to advertise price but think Fadi... I have one on the hardtail and one on the hightower and while both are internal they have been trouble free.

Edit oops didn’t read that you wanted mechanical...

4. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Drill a hole in the Yeti?

Not mechanical, and I know people have issues, but you could probably pick up a used Reverb external for very cheap. The rebuild seems daunting but actually is not that hard, and once you've done it once you can keep the dropper running no problem. You need some special tools to complete the service, but I'd be happy to assist in that department.

5. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    I have a KS Lev laying around that may need a home.

6. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    What size is your seatpost @Mikie? I have a Fox D.O.S.S. that I'm willing to let go for an 805 or 2. Let me know and it's yours.

7. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I appreciate that Sir! I got to measure what the Yeti takes...
    I will let you know Amigo.

805's? I got plenty!

8. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Ass kisser!

9. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    And you're not?

10. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Nope, just generous.

Cyclotourist, mike, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  11. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    Hmmmm....Can I borrow a hundy and your swim trunks??

12. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Yup.

Cyclotourist, Sidewalk, mike and 2 others like this.
  13. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

This guy is generous, he gave me a pump! Have fun with that one.

Cyclotourist, Sidewalk, mike and 4 others like this.
  14. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    How many pumps and did you end up finishing?

Cyclotourist, Sidewalk, mike and 3 others like this.
  15. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

A pump, and I like it. Just free :p.

Cyclotourist, mike and Mikie like this.
  16. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Please tell me this is just a joke, right? There is probably some kid out there at this moment taking your advice and drilling a hole in his Carbon Fiber Yeti to add a internal actuated dropper! :eek:

17. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    My GD uses half of the internal routing on the Chisel. The cable and housing pop out by the BB and instead of running it back into the seattube, I just ran it up the outside...

Don't hate my boot, because it's beautiful

IMG_20180919_175034.jpg

18. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    I'm serious. Look at the current frames and see where they drill the hole for the dropper post. Those areas generally don't come under a lot of stress.

I'd recommend running external along the downtube, then loop it into the seat tube.

http://forums.mtbr.com/turner/stealth-mod-drilling-holes-your-alloy-frame-917427.html#post13242279

Cyclotourist, Mikie, mike and 2 others like this.
  19. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Cyclotourist, mike and hill^billy like this.
  20. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Cyclotourist, Mikie, mike and 2 others like this.
  21. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

The future is wireless! It kills me to pay so much but I got to have it! The only way I can justify this is it slams from one bike to another, no need for 2 posts.

22. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Mikie, I would recommend the KS lev, because it has external cable, is easy to rebuild at home, and all the parts are readily available from universal cycles.

Cyclotourist, Mikie and LLPoolJ like this.
  23. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Well...
    I know a little bit about drilling composite, I probably drilled literally 500,000 holes in aircraft grade composite on the B2 Stealth Bomber as a tech, so I’m going to pick on this guy for entertainment. Anyone who says F@ck y’all has already lost me... beside the misspelled and doubled words in his commentary, and not to mention, buying cheap Chinese carbon fiber for his spouse to ride. Kinda sets the tone for me the guy shoots from the hip.

Rule number one: NEVER drill a hole in composite with a twist drill /jobber/ aka drill from Home Depot. In my opinion the guy was lucky he didn’t delaminate some composite and may have even done so, but not visibly. You use what is called a carbide “Dagger” at very high speed with very little pressure.

Twist Drill on Carbon: Bad
    twist.drill.jpg

Carbide Dagger Drill on Carbon: Good
    8CBA0B2C-73B2-4E5D-A36A-FD2F71E7449E.jpeg

Granted his file job made it look really clean, but twist drills just rip fibers to pieces.

Two: Granted my frame warranty is out. The Yeti ASR 5c came with a 5 year warranty. It’s a 2012 so that is gone. But what manufacturer (other than apparently Turner in that MTBR thread) is going to consent to drilling holes in frames? ...or warranty a modified frame?

I could be over reacting but I have already experienced catastrophic failure on this very ASR 5c when Yeti miss spec’ed their tubeless Tire System by using a dumbazz tubeless ready kit with non tubeless ready Schwalbe tires. Off a jump and the tire burped and rolled off the rim and I shattered my right collarbone. That same year, they quickly went back to Maxxis and tubes until further development.

I can live with an external cable set up. :thumbsup:

24. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I've never paid attention to our machines to notice, except the NPT's (grit blaster). We build 787, A350, etc nacelles.

Cyclotourist and Mikie like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?