Lezyne Super GPS

Discussion in 'Computers/GPS SYstems' started by no worries, Feb 13, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. no worries

no worries Member

Name:
    Brad
    Current Bike:
    Jeffsy CF Pro 29
    I picked up a Lezyne Super GPS from the Path a couple weeks ago and thought I'd report in, especially since reviews for this item are pretty scarce due to Garmin domination.

$150
    http://www.lezyne.com/product-gps-supergpsY10.php

Background: I had an Edge 305 for ages, but eventually the software to upload it stopped working. Pretty frustrating because the unit itself met most of my needs. So I retired it and started carrying my Iphone running Strava. That was slick, but the accuracy wasn't great and it's pretty hard on the phone. So I went shopping for a replacement GPS with the main requirements of Good Accuracy and Wireless Upload (with as easy a workflow as possible).

The Garmin 520 seems to dominate this niche, but my recent experience with Garmin software combined with the steep price tag drove me to try an alternative. Lezyne updated their GPS again this year (calling it Y10, or Year10) and what reviews I could find were fairly positive. My main hesitation remained that I couldn't find the GPS available anywhere that would take returns, and if the workflow for recording and uploading sucked, I'd be stuck. Tani at the Path offered to let me give it a spin as long as I kept it in good condition, super cool again.

In terms of presentation this thing is pretty bare bones, much like the 305 I had. But that's fine with me, I don't want a massive LCD staring at me from my handlebars. Even with all four data tabs running I can glance down and see the info I need. The software is also pretty barebones. I haven't even used the PC software, just installed the App which syncs with the device. Uploading a ride is a two step procedure, but very easy. Open the app, see the ride, upload to cloud, then share with Strava. Whew, what a relief.

The accuracy and data available seems great. It synced effortlessly with my old Ant+ heart monitor from the 305. It also supports Bluetooth monitors as well. It has Glonass and altimeter, and the temperature readout seems good. The datafields available are numerous, even greater if you have cadence and power, which I don't. But I have it set to show me heartrate, grade, ascent and distance traveled because those are what I like to see as I ride (they give me the most feedback on how I'm feeling right now). A second page shows info I like to check on breaks, including time, temp, elevation, etc. This is all customizable, you can have fewer than 4 fields if you want more visible numbers.

It supports Strava Live Segments, but I'm not really interested in that, so I haven't checked it out. If you do bring your phone along, it'll show texts or missed calls. Again, not really what I care about.

The thing is pretty small, but seems rugged. I strapped it to my top tube, almost at the headset, because my stem is pretty short (and my top tube pretty long). Very well protected here. Also battery life has been great so far. 3 1-hour long rides and I think its at about 75% battery.

Ok that's my info dump. This is a good product for the value minded. I'll update this if I have any different feelings with further use.

2. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Nice Review...May need to look beyond Garmin for my next GPS

Danmtchl and Sasquatch9billion like this.
  3. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    Thanks for the info! I too am looking at these. I've never had a GPS unit and could never see myself spending $500 on one....so this is a good option to have.

Faust29, Danmtchl, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  4. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Thanks... Strandleper wrote a pretty good review for the Wahoo, and now another for Lezyne... I've had a love/hate relationship with my schizophrenic Garmin over the years. More information on alternatives is a good thing for when it finally dies! :thumbsup:

edit: The ability to see texts on the screen would be awesome. Any more info on that? I can't stand pulling over to fish for the phone. :devilish:

Danmtchl and Sasquatch9billion like this.
  5. no worries

no worries Member

Name:
    Brad
    Current Bike:
    Jeffsy CF Pro 29
    I may tool around with it more, but it requires bringing your phone with you, which I only do if I'm really heading to the hills (say San Juan or maybe Old Camp or Blackstar).

I also read here that you can use: "Lezyne Track: a live tracking that displays your current location and metrics to specified email recipients. " This could be handy on those big rides too.

6. wc_surveyor

wc_surveyor Member

Name:
    Dean
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem SX
    No worries, since almost a couple of months have passed, what is your opinion of this unit?

Danmtchl and no worries like this.
  7. no worries

no worries Member

Name:
    Brad
    Current Bike:
    Jeffsy CF Pro 29
    Good idea.

I'm very happy with the device and my overall impressions remain unchanged from above. I only just had to charge it for the first time this weekend! There was also an update available when I plugged it into the PC, which I understand allows for a "Route Builder". That's only something I might use when travelling, so I haven't tried it out. In fact I'm no power-user, so I can only speak to the common uses; but I can stay that the Super GPS does exactly what I need it to do. It's light-weight, rugged, accurate, efficient, and well priced. I power it up, put on my heart rate monitor, hit Start and take a ride. During my ride I'll glance down at my HR, time, distance, or ascent, but I'm not tracking it too closely; not really riding for Strava except to review later and to track my overall monthly trends. After the ride I open the app, upload to the cloud and then sync with Strava. Power it down and it's ready for the next ride.

If I had to be critical, the numbers on the screen are a bit small. I have it on my top tube, but I also have good eyes and it's fine. The old-school LCD look is dated but functional and obviously efficient, but not as sexy as the Garmins. If you actually used maps, this is probably a drawback. There is a color Lezyne though.

I think my overall assessment would be that if you're a GPS or Strava-live power-user, you might be better off popping for the Garmin because the device seems a bit sexier and I imagine they have a larger software team. If you're looking for an accurate, low-power device to track your rides and save abuse on your phone, this thing seems like the ticket.

If anyone has specific questions, hit me up.

8. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Sounds like this may be a good alternative if/when my Garmin 500 Edge dies. It's showing no signs at 4 years, but one must be prepared for all possibilities.:eek:

I will admit to being partial to the Garmin, as it has given me flawless performance and the battery lasts for-freakin'-ever - and this is uber-important given some of the rides I like to do.

You were kinda vague on the battery life; what's the longest continuous ride you've taken it on?

Faust29, Danmtchl and mtnbikej like this.
  9. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    I almost picked one up when Evan's had them on sale last year. I passed because all my mounts are for a Garmin.:rolleyes:

10. code3

code3 Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout
    I was looking at these, as it seemed like a great value for the price. In the end, I was a little leery about picking it up due to the lack of long term reviews, and complaints of how the hardware that was just over 1 year old didn't seem to be getting support anymore. I'm really interested to see how you feel about it in a year or so.

mtnbikej likes this.
  11. I was just researching garman alternatives!!! Thanks for posting

12. no worries

no worries Member

Name:
    Brad
    Current Bike:
    Jeffsy CF Pro 29
    "You were kinda vague on the battery life; what's the longest continuous ride you've taken it on?"

I was saying I had to charge it for the first time this past weekend (bought in Feb). Looking at Strava I've done about 16 hours worth of rides since then.

Longest ride was about 2 1/2 hours.

13. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC advanced single soee
    My edge 305 finally became more of a hassle than it’s worth and picked up one of these. Haven’t really given it a good ride yet but like the interface and set up.

Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  14. PMORTUARY

PMORTUARY Member

Name:
    Dave (D2)
    Current Bike:
    Giant Trance
    I haven't read through this thread but I did purchase a Lezyne Macro bundle a few months ago.

I purchased a lezyne for three main reasons.
    1 price
    2 battery life
    3 LBS support

I needed a gps that would last me up to 13 hours for a road ride I was training for. I liked the easy set up and basic menus and controls. I set up my preferred screens, speed/ cadence and heart rate sensors without the instructions. The HR strap is not for stout persons it was useable but tight not uncomfortable though I would have a couple small chafe marks after 3 or 4 hour rides. The HR sensor stopped responding after about my 30th ride using it. It was a really hot day and I may have fried it trying to cool off in a water fountain. Everything else functions great.

in short it worked great for training and got me through 10.5 hours of riding in Indiana 8 hours of which were in the rain. Would buy again but hopefully it lasts a while and I wont need to.

For gravity junkies it has a total decent count as well. Planning to test that at Mammoth soon.

no worries, Faust29, OTHRider and 5 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?