Well Maxxis Is At It Again.......Rekon Race

Discussion in 'Maxxis Tires' started by mtnbikej, Jun 23, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    This is from my ride report yesterday:

The 2.4 Rekons continue to impress. Turns that are off camber, loose and full of marbles are no match for them. They just hook up. And as stated before they roll..........fast. I found myself going into several turns a lot faster than I normally would. So far this is the best overall set of tires I've ran.

2. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I had one on the front for a couple of rides. I really liked it but it is a little too much for my lunger rides. I'll sell it to you for a fair price if you're interested.

Danmtchl, Mikie, Cyclotourist and 5 others like this.
  3. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    @rossage what size wheels are you running that 2.4 on?

Danmtchl, Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.
  4. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Great minds think alike. Very similar perceptions...

Ive always wanted a plus tire for the rigid. The Specialized Chisel fork has room for one. And the extra volume will be appreciated.

Danmtchl, Faust29, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  5. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    29ers. Front is Roval laced to WTB i-29 rim. Rear is DT 240 with the same rim.

6. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Ordered... One 2.4 in dual compound flavor for the back of the Lizard. It will replace the 2.35 Forekaster that has been on the bike since before Vision Quest. 2.4 Maxx Terra on the front, and DC in the back. :thumbsup:

Danmtchl, rossage and UPSed like this.
  7. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I could not find the DC when I ordered mine so I am running the Maxx Terra front and rear. It is actually wearing very well on the rear though I will probably replace it with a DC when it wears out.

8. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I'm simply amazed by this tire. This morning I went into a fast right hander a little too hard on the front brake and started to lose the front end. I eased off the brakes and it hooked back up. I think they should have called it the "Mikon". It sticks like a Minion and rolls like an Ikon.

Danmtchl, herzalot, rossage and 3 others like this.
  9. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I didn't see it anywhere on-line either, so I bit the bullet and ordered right from Maxxis. It was at my front door the next day...

Even on my slightly narrower than recommended wheels, it seems like a really good tire... And I completely agree with the Ikon comparison. I'd bet their design goal was to make an Ikon on steroids.

I was also really surprised how fast the rear spun up last night compared to the Forekaster, even with the slight size increase. A 2.4 tire should not spin that fast... It doesn't seem right.

10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Quick Review:

I mounted a Rekon Race to my SS about 3.5 weeks ago.

Version: EXO/TR 3C
    Size: 29 x 2.25
    Weight: 645 g

The tire mounted up quick and easy on my Arch Mk3. It has a similar rounded profile like the Ikon 2.2.

I have been running it exclusively at a rear tire.

65E10951-BF76-4A75-8D41-EE8CEB4FBB4D.jpeg

Compared to the Rekon 2.4 WT on the left you can definitely tell the knobs are smaller and much shorter.

Obviously this tire is designed more as a race tire than an everyday trail tire.

So far this tire has been ridden in the rain/mud at Maple Springs/Motorway Loop. Of course it excellent at the paved section. The wet hardpack was not an issue. On Main Divide in some of the warm peanut butter type mud, the tire held traction and never packed up. I only spun the rear tire a couple times on steep climbs where it was a bit more gravelly. On Motorway it handled the wet soil and rocks with a good amount of traction. The scree and chunk were not an issue, and even at 20 psi, I didn’t have any rim strikes.

I rode it at Wrightwood 50. There was more loamy toy soils there. Again the tire dug in, and slippage only happened a few times. Manzanita Trail was no issue even though the soft kitty litter from time to time. Braking was good and I never felt out of control.

This weekend I rode it on out Hellacious Ride. Again up the fire roads it held its own. The FR’s were much drier and much looser this weekend. A few tire slips when I really put the torque down. Down 7 Oaks it did really well. Even in the 6” of kitty litter, it never felt like it was drifting. Also never felt like it was going to stop when I applied the brakes. Through the Middle section of SART, again through the chunk, it held its own. Never overwhelmed by the conditions.

It does not like trails/roads that have lots of pea gravel....but it handles it about as well as any other tire.

The one fault I do find with this tire, is that it is not a long term tire. I do expect it to wear out quickly.

Final verdict......this tire is fast, really fast. It will handle terrain much worse than it was designed for.

*disclaimer:
    I have spent a lot of years running sketchy low knob XC tires, and expect them to handle like that. I don’t go in expecting it to respond like a minion DHF.

55BF7F57-4210-477F-98CB-606C6C6B5A3B.jpeg

11. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Hey @rossage did you continue to like the 29" Rekon 2.4 ? How about you @UPSed ?
    I'm going to get these on the new ride and interested in your satisfaction longevity. Non-race version of course....

12. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I still like them. I got close to a 1000 miles out of the rear including a lot of pavement to and from my rides. Still has about 50% tread. I won a set of Goodyear XC tires so I'm running those right now. We went with 2.6 Rekons on Jennifer's new Mojo 3. I will more than likely get them again when my Goodyears wear out.

13. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Thanks for the info, sounds like a pretty good tire and can't really go wrong them.
    The Mojo 3 is a nice bike, congrats to Jenn!

UPSed, Cyclotourist, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  14. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I had the 2.4 version front and back on the Chameleon since August... That's a lot of miles. The rear just wore out, and I replaced it with a Forekaster that I had in the garage. If I had had to buy another tire, it would be the Rekon... The front is still going strong, even after many trips down the Motorway with its sidewall cutting scree.

Edit: I'm toying with the idea of running them on the Hightower for True Grit. They are a fast tire... I have a feeling that the numerous smaller knobs would do very well on the desert rock, and you can't go wrong with that much volume.

UPSed, Cyclotourist, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  15. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Your 6 month mileage is probably equivalent to my 12-18 months....so that's a good endorsement. Thanks for the info!
    I recall conti 2.4's on my 27.5 and they had grip for days, so a 2.4 on a 29....:)

16. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Still love the tire. For me, it's a great front tire, and I've had good results running it rear also though it cuts loose a little quick when braking...

17. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Well I have 700 miles on the Rekon Race....and it is pretty worn out. However it still works pretty well. It does slip in the really loose conditions. I have been riding it in the wet conditions lately and haven't had any issues with traction.

Not to mention for a race tire it has lasted through way more runs down Motorway/STT/Oaks, than the 1 run down STT that the 2.25 Rekon lasted.

I like it....really good tire. Will I buy another one....I could see it.

Now onto the Rekon 2.4, same amount of mileage. Still looks brand new, but it's on the front. So far so good.

Danmtchl, Mikie, Danimal and 3 others like this.
  18. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Ok all you running the Rekon 2.4 wt.
    What pressure seems to be the sweet spot? I put in 20 and seems softish, but have yet to hit any dirt. Doing maiden voyage with them in the AM and figure Y'all done the Beta testing already. :cool:

19. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Front 20-22
    Rear 22-24
    You're right they do feel softer than most other 2.35 tires I've run. I can usually run 18-20 front & rear with others.

Danmtchl, rossage, Danimal and 4 others like this.
  20. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Ooooo! I think you are going to like them!
    front 23
    Rear 25

I just tossed on a 2.6 Rekon on the front. Short maiden voyage but I already liked it!
    Probably run about 2o to 23 in that on the front...

Danmtchl, rossage, Danimal and 5 others like this.
  21. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Wide rims? I was running my 2.6 at 16psi.

Danmtchl, rossage, Danimal and 3 others like this.
  22. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Like Mikie I’ve been at 23-f, 25-r.

Mikie, Danmtchl, rossage and 4 others like this.
  23. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I'm heavier than all of you and I can run mine on the squishy side... :confused: For chunkier rides, I can go 18-19 on the front and 20-22 in the back. This is on the Hightower with 30mm rims.

On the Lizard (with 27mm rims), I go a couple psi over that. Maybe 20/23.

Danmtchl, Danimal, UPSed and 2 others like this.
  24. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    How much heavier? :p

Mikie and Danmtchl like this.
  25. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Thanks everyone for the good info, knew I could count on you!

Rims are 30mm wide, looks like the 23f 25r is a good starting point, and go from there. I'm really looking froward to trying the 2.4s on 29 rims. Haven't ridden 29s in a while, they look big, but... ;)

Mikie, Danmtchl and UPSed like this.
  26. Ronni

Ronni Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    RLD
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC and Anthem
    Suffering a bit of road rash today. I found out the hard way that the Maxxis Recons are quite slippery on wet pavement. First front wheel slip wasn't too bad, but the second had me sliding along my bike. Anybody else encountered anything similar on these tires?

Mikie, mike, Old&InTheWay and 3 others like this.
  27. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Hey @Ronni!
    Welcome to imtbtrails,
    Is there a lot of mountain biking out in Cambodia? Is it all road out there or do you have some pretty nice singletrack?
    I use the Rekons and rarely use them on the street.
    If you get a chance, post up some pics with you and your bike hitting the trails.

thanks!
    Mikie

28. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    My rekons have great traction... think ill go shed some gnar this morning with them. Well, at least cruise some dirt.

Danmtchl, Mikie, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  29. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

Which version? 3C or Dual Compound?

Dual Compound has a harder rubber and could be slippery on smooth wet pavement.

The 3C should be stickier.

30. Ronni

Ronni Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    RLD
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC and Anthem
    Any specific place should I post this?

Danmtchl, Mikie and Faust29 like this.