Time to Give Your Input on Santiago Truck Trail / STT

Discussion in 'Trail Advocacy' started by mtnbikej, Aug 3, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Cadillac aka Jeep Hill appears to be a jurisdictional merry-go-round. My understanding is the landowner, OCFA, the County of Orange and the USFS were all involved in building the gate. Not sure why it didn't work. But if the landowner decides to enforce no trespassing on the private property, perhaps the Sheriff or CHP will be able to assist.

There was a pipe rail fence built across the STT at the Forest boundary (west of the top of Cadillac) during the '07/'08 Santiago Fire closure. It was promptly cut and put in the bushes, and vehicles were being driven toward the top of the Luge. (They were also driving up from the top of Modjeska Grade Road. The step-over and big FS gate stopped that.) That westerly drive is very dangerous with high exposure and fatal consequences in certain places. Additionally, it's no longer engineered or maintained for vehicles, and the outslope could fail in critical spots. I think off-road drivers are unaware or take its stability for granted, but I've worked on it extensively and know that it's appropriate for hiking and mountain biking (and even motorcycles), but not for 4-wheeled vehicles.

I haven't seen the current Cadillac gate (it was compromised before I had a chance to take a look), but it would have to be built like the gate at the top of Modjeska to have a chance of holding up. Maybe it is. My feeling is that the road should be dug out at the bottom in a way that a bulldozer could quickly restore it for emergency access. Even the parking/staging area could be torn up by a backhoe in a short amount of time. There's no reason for it to exist that I can think of.

After this current fire, the last thing this forest needs is a fire that starts on Cadillac and takes out the Upper Santiago Creek drainage, Joplin Trail and Holy Jim canyon.

2. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    ^^^ Agree, Kioti

Maybe, but the thing with a full closure is it removes the question of whether someone is behaving irresponsibly. Their very presence in the closure area is prohibited and there is no reason for them to be there. If someone is spotted inside the area they can be reported and there should be no question about a law enforcement response. Without a closure they have to be seen doing something illegal, someone has to bother to report it, and law enforcement has to bother to respond. I would think with a full closure they would take reports of trespassing more seriously.

I'll send an email once I get some time.

3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Just bumping this.......

mike, dustyyoungblood and herzalot like this.
  4. Email sent.

Dear Mr. Vance,

I am writing to inquire about the illegal off-road vehicular access to CNF boundary at the top of “Cadillac Hill” from Trabucco creek to Santiago Truck Trail, and beyond to Old Camp.

As a stake holder who enjoys mountain biking and hiking on STT i find it very unfortunate that jeeps are making it up there and illegally contributing to trail damage.

How can I help resolve this problem?

Best wishes,

Dustan Baker ”

kioti, H2oChick, mtnbikej and 3 others like this.