Dropping Droppers

Discussion in 'Dropper Seat Posts' started by JordanHMay, Jul 22, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    KS LEV 3 years, no issues.

Knocking on wood now.

mike, kioti, mtnbikej and 1 other person like this.
  2. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
  3. Torrent77

Torrent77 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    0 issues with giant contact sl. It convertible from post mount to stealth mount and the internal cartridge is easy to replace. Granted its the heavier of the dropper and you can't adjust the rebound speed.

Cyclotourist, mike, kioti and 3 others like this.
  4. muni

muni Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    17 Yeti SB5
    Should be getting my Oneup dropper post this week. I'll let you know how it performs. Replacing my Fox transfer.

Cyclotourist, mike, kioti and 2 others like this.
  5. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    You'll hear of problems with every post out there, right after someone else proclaims that the post is amazing and they've had it for x years with no problems.

It really does seem to come down to luck. Although some brands *cough* CB seem to generate a lot more horror stories than others. It's unfortunate OP had problems so soon with multiple different posts.

I've spent most of my time on KS posts. My first one is 8 years old and just now starting to have problems with the post sinking up to half an inch. I've never serviced it at all. But I have had constant problems with the post activating or not due to issues with cable tension. But that is on me for poor setup and maintenance, it isn't the post's fault. The second KS I got had to be warrantied after just a few weeks. It has been pretty solid since then but started sinking about half inch a while ago. The newer ones I've had have been very good so far.

Last year I took a chance on a Bike Yoke Revive as the design is innovative and possibly solves the more common problems of other posts. One year in so far and I'm very happy. I've only had to use the revive feature once. Did have an issue with the top of the post moving, but apparently it twists on so you just have to screw it on back tight. I'm still waiting to hear someone chime in with an issue with the Revive. Bueller????

mtbMike, Cyclotourist, mike and 2 others like this.
  6. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    I usually end up with Reverb's on my bikes. I've had 3 in total. I find that they require an IFP reset occasionally and a full rebuild every 1.5ish years. I've mostly run these because they came on my bike when I bought them.

If I were buying new I'd be getting the one-up dropper post. Easy cartridge replacements, light, adjustable drop, priced correctly. Otherwise not quite so flashy but also cartridge replaceable is the giant contact lineup.

mike, Cyclotourist, kioti and 3 others like this.
  7. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    I guess I'm lucky, I have two Reverbs, one stock and one with the Wolf Tooth cable "upgrade" as well as one of the newer BikeYoke Revive models. I've yet, knock on wood, to have a failure. I also had a Fox Transfer "Performance" model for about 3 months on a Pivot Mach 5.5 and that was the smoothest operating seatposts I've experienced. The BikeYoke has been the "hot model" the last 18 months in most of the reveiws though the guy at Vital wasn't as impressed in his May 2018 review. Thats the 1st comparison review I've read in easily over a year where the BikeYoke wasn't chosen as the winner. It operates fine but I like the new Reverb and Wow Tooth paddles better.

mike, Cyclotourist and kioti like this.
  8. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Not sure if any other Chameleon green/purple owners got their droppers sorted (yet). Just got back from the Live Oak Path with a brand new replacement dropper. So, see how this one goes...

mike likes this.
  9. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Well, I just rebuilt the Lev I had sitting around broken for months, with a new cartridge and bushing $100.

mike likes this.
  10. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    My first Reverb Stealth gave me no problems whatsoever in 3 years of riding, until it failed spectacularly (although that was the fault of the installer). My current Reverb, which is the newly redesigned version, started having slight movement almost immediately. It has not gotten worse in the 8 months since, and it does not really bother me. If it fails, I will probably replace it with the Bike Yoke. I have heard nothing but good things about that one.

herzalot and mtnbikej like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?