Snow Valley

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LLPoolJ, May 18, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    One of my favorite places to get away for the day is Rim Nordic Bike park. They are located across the street from Snow Valley. Rim Nordic is hinting around about partnering with them for MTB related things. I had heard that S.V. has a permit for it. Hoping for big things. Exciting stuff.

Mikie, UPSed, Maddog and 5 others like this.
  2. tbarnesarc

tbarnesarc Well-Known Member

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    That would be epic! Hopefully Snow Valley does something with the permit. Speaking of valleys, I wonder why green valley hasn't done anything yet (that I know of)? Maybe it doesn't exist anymore? I remember back in the peak of my snowboarding days (the 90s) GV had a snowboard only park but never checked it out.

Mikie, kioti and DangerDirtyD like this.
  3. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Snow Valley is thinking/planning on adding mountain biking in order to become a year round resort. There is a parallel effort to have a Rim Communities trail network, going from Arrowhead to Running Springs and Green Valley Lake. This will be amazing when it happens! Skypark, Rim Nordic, and Snow Valley will be smart to offer a shared pass and steal a lot of the traffic going up to Summit.

Mikie, herzalot, kioti and 5 others like this.
  4. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Snow valleys Mountain looks like it could host some epic trails

5. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Good info Dave.

Mikie, tbarnesarc and Cyclotourist like this.
  6. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    I do know that Skypark and Rim Nordic have worked together. Skypark used Rims timing system for an XC race they had. Anything is possible.

Mikie, tbarnesarc and Cyclotourist like this.
  7. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Visited Rim Nordic today for some miles and to show some friends around. They enjoyed but were very tired after 13miles and 2300'.
    While there we got invited over to Snow Valley. They had a soft launch this weekend. They had a 1/2 mile XC loop set up, bounce house and a BBQ. Not many people knew about it. But got some intel on it. The USFS is allowing them to build 1 trail this season, hoping for more. We will see on that. The trail will be 3-4 miles in length they believe and should be open in 3 weeks. They have employed the owners of Rim Nordic to help construct the 1st trail and maybe more(20yrs+ experience). I will be volunteering time up there also. I believe this park has potential. Just gonna be a long process. Not sure on prices, but will be lift access. I will keep everyone posted as more info is acquired.

Mikie, Faust29, Redman and 13 others like this.
  8. ChrisCrash

ChrisCrash Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Christopher Newell
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    @LLPoolJ Wondering if you might have gotten any more info about the Snow Valley bike park? It looks like it's opening this weekend, but the info online is very limited.

Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.
  9. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Only have the info above. I wouldnt have to high of expectations for the 1st few years. Forest service is a limiting factor. Trail development is a touchy subject. I will email my contact.

Mikie, Faust29 and Cyclotourist like this.
  10. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    They will have the park open this weekend 1 trail 3-4 miles in length. You should be able to access Exploration trail also not 100% sure though. Not sure the cost yet. Should have that info up by Wed. Your ticket will be good for Rim Nordic bike park across the street also. Rim Nordic is fun has a tough climb but fun descents. @ChrisCrash
    Also said they will be working on more trail as the season progesses.

11. ChrisCrash

ChrisCrash Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Christopher Newell
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    @LLPoolJ Ok awesome thanks for the info. I'll have to check it out one of these weekends!
    Always wondered why the forest service seems to be so anti-mtb with respect to new trails being created.

Mikie and LLPoolJ like this.
  12. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    I am sure the Forest Service gets pressure from many sides. Environmental included. I wouldnt call them anti Mtb just think they dont want to stir up the hive.

Cyclotourist, Mikie and DangerDirtyD like this.
  13. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Looks like the trail they have open is 1.7 miles long, less than I remember them saying. Could have been my attention span. 45 bucks for a day pass also includes the Rim Nordic trails also for the time being. 53 if you want lunch with your lift ticket. Hope they get another trail open to make it worth the money. I will be the guinea pig Sunday. I acquired a 50% off voucher. Will update everyone after. This will be nice if they can expand a bit. 30 min closer that Snow Summit.

14. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    That's an understatement!!;)

Mikie likes this.
  15. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Spent some time here today. 1.7 mile flowish trail. Fast for sure. 1st weekend open on a quickly built trail. We gave our feedback to the trail manager. Here is what we thought.
    Very low expectations for this place being very new. Awesome lift service, nice bike chairs. Seemed to be 8-10 min up. Trail is soft in a lot of spots. Berms on most corners although soft were mostly rideable. Some of the Berms don't fit the flow of the trail( this is top of the list along with a watering system) . Trail is very fast has very few obstacles, guessing that will change with erosion. Overall we enjoyed ourselves worth the $22 it cost us. Their permit is allowing for 4 miles of trail this season and more for the future after the Archeological and other approvals. I will update as Summer goes along. 50% discount available on their Facebook page. Give them a go and also give the constructive feedback and be part of the process of building a park you would want to ride.

Mikie, pinnacle10, doublewide and 7 others like this.
  16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Thanks for the report. I like the idea that we can provide feedback from the start so it's not just built to the local dirt jumpers' preferences.

Is there any hope that the dirt is not just the same moondust as Snow Summit? SS seems to do an adequate job of watering their small selection of trails, but without watering, it would be the 6-10" of powder we find on Fall Line and other off-property trails. Is there a chance (and the terrain) to build techier trails on-property than SS is willing to build?

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, LLPoolJ and 2 others like this.
  17. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Seems to be the same type of soil. We will see what the water does to it. Beginner trails are on the menu. Not sure about the plans for features and jumps. The feel I get is a more family friendly type place. We will see how this develops.

Mikie, kioti, UPSed and 3 others like this.
  18. MTBZen

MTBZen Member

Name:
    Gary
    Current Bike:
    2017 Trek Pro-Caliber 9.6
    Here is some info on this:

https://www.pe.com/2018/06/18/you-c...ow-valley-mountain-resort-in-running-springs/

OTHRider, kioti and herzalot like this.
  19. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
  20. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    5 1/2 minute descent for a fast guy. What's not to like? One more great option nearby. Can't wait to see where they take it.

Thanks for posting. :thumbsup:

21. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Good hearing from you Sidewalk!!

22. pinnacle10

pinnacle10 Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Highball
    One issue at Snow Valley is it's proximity to the Exploration Trail. If Snow Valley turns into a full on bike park with 100+ people per day, imagine the extra downhill traffic Exploration Trail will get. That's a multi-use trail that would be negatively impacted by Snow Valley expansion.

Otherwise, I love that Snow Valley is doing this and hope it keeps growing.

23. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Agreed, but it will take logistics. Multiple cars for the true downhiller. The surrounding area around Snow Summit isnt impacted severly. We will have to wait and see.

24. riiz

riiz Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Heckler/Killmaleon
    You can use the snow valley lifts to the top of Exploration?

Edited for grammar

25. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Yes. A small trek will get you there.

26. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    We did this in the early 90's when Snow Valley had a bike park back then. They only had like two trails and they were full on downhill BMX style (90's style BMX, not the massive gaps you see on BMX tracks now a days).

27. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    The top of the SV lift is fairly close to the top of Exploration, may be some HAB to traverse. But like JJ said the there' 4.5+ miles between the bottom of Exploration and bottom of the Snow Valley lifts, and that's on the narrow hwy 18. Def still want to shuttle.

28. pinnacle10

pinnacle10 Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Highball
    Yeah, it may not be severe, but I can envision a lot of final runs going, "Okay, last run, let's hit Exploration, who's driving down to pick us up?" For people coming down the mountain to go home, it'd be on the way anyways.

I don't remember how difficult it is to get from one to the other. Few years back I did ride up Exploration and then traverse over to Snow Valley. They had things marked for an Xterra race I think. I rode down a trail (fireroad) they had marked and then over to Rim Nordic.

29. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Here right now. New more raw trail open. Has potential. Small jump line open along with a Dual Slalom course. Get the 50% off coupon and it is worth the 20 bucks. Be prepared for soft and sandy areas. Still fresh trails need to be burned in.

30. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Spent the afternoon here chasing @Sidewalk KOM. Finally tracked it down. He will definitely snatch it back soon. I will revel in my short lived glory.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?