The Search for The Perfect Knee Pad

Discussion in 'Armor' started by Ebruner, Jun 29, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    I've been on a search for the "perfect" knee pad for years. I always refer to it that way in a tongue and cheek fashion implying that the search will never end and that even attempting to define perfect is futile.

Well, I think the search may have come to an end. I bought a set of 7idp sam hill knee pads after reading the vital and nsmb review of them. I figured the review was so glowing that at the least they would be a good trail/pedal worthy replacement for the smelling fox enduro and gform pads I had been using.

Last night was my first ride on them and I think that my search has come to an end. My first ride even included a nice little low side crash directly to my knee and i literally felt nothing (at least in that area, my elbow and wrist hurt like a motha).

At any rate, the vital and nsmb reviews are spot on. These things are so good that I'm going to just go ahead and buy another pair so that I have some on deck for when i wear these out.

Highlights:
    -Leg warmer'ish construction. They come up high enough to lap under bibs or compression shorts, and low enough to provide legitimate shin protection.
    -Fit - True to size on their sizing chart. My measurements put me right in the middle on a medium and the medium fits me perfectly.
    -Do not move while pedaling - I mean, at all... perfect
    -Ample side knee protection without feeling cumbersome
    -Breathable and very thin where they should be (in the back of the knee)
    -Pedal friendly.
    -Significantly more protection then most XC/Trail pads without feeling like it. Seriously, these things were more comfortable then my gf0rms.

Jury is still out on durability, but if i have to buy 1 set of these every 6 months i don't care... yolo.

https://nsmb.com/articles/7idp-sam-hill-knee-pad/
    https://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Knee-Shin-Pads,56/7iDP/Sam-Hill,22193

You can buy them direct from 7idp. They ship from valencia. Even though it says pre-order, mine shipped 1 day after order placement.
    http://7protection.com/us/product/sam-hill-knee/

2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I have been on the same hunt. My Hightower takes me faster down stuff then I have ever been able to do before. Plus, the years of crashing on my knees makes me "think" about crashing on my knees while at speed which sometimes hinders my confidence and I slow some.

I have been looking at 7idp for a while and came up with these:
    7idp-jpg.36393.jpg
    but they look heavy and more DH'ish...

Please, Please, Please, report back on how these are working for you as I too am looking for the Holy Grail of Knee pads. Thanks for this! :thumbsup:

3. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    @Ebruner I've been wearing the transition knees for awhile now and couldn't agree with you more. The transition pad doesn't have the side knee protection like the Sam Hills. Other than that (I think) they are the same. I've been super impressed with how well they stay in place, no sliding down. The knee cups form to your knee after they warm up a bit. I'll be buying the Sam Hills if these Transitions ever wear out.

@Mikie they stopped making that model of pad. You might be able to still find it. But, they replaced it with this. The Prjoect Knee... looks ehhhhh.
    https://7protection.com/us/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Project-Knee-front.jpg

4. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Slight derail-
    Anyone have any suggestions for elbow guards that fit well on large arms? I have 13” forearms and 16” upper arms. Most sizing charts I’ve looked at top out at xl for like 14” biceps. I have a really old set of rockgardn hard shell that fit and they’re falling apart.

herzalot, Mikie and mountaingirl sara like this.
  5. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    I do not, I actually crash more with elbow pads on then without. The constant slipping down, or too tight feelings I get from any of them is enough of a distraction that i just crash. That being said, if i were to try some i would try out the 7idp transition elbow. The Sam Hill and Transition line of pads from 7idp are basically based on arm/leg warmer style construction which stand a better chance of fitting and allowing movement.

mountaingirl sara, Mikie and Redman like this.
  6. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Good to know, I’ve been looking at POC.

Mikie and herzalot like this.
  7. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Pieces Of Crap? Why? :laugh:

Mikie and mountaingirl sara like this.
  8. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Really! I don’t know these things..sheesh!

Mikie likes this.
  9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    :inlove::inlove::inlove:

:oops:

10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I see that Mark his fooled you with his definition of POC. See POS stands for Piece of Sh!t, so POC must stand for Piece of Crap. He is not actually referring to the product. @Runs with Scissors don't wear no pads. Look at his screen name? Danger is his first, last and middle name!!! He has a Honey Badger as a pet!

Mikie, kioti and mountaingirl sara like this.
  11. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Oh brother....I should have pieced that together myself :bang:
    Thanks for the help Chris:thumbsup::D

Mikie and herzalot like this.
  12. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    I posted that just for you herz

Mikie, herzalot and mountaingirl sara like this.
  13. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Great paintings! @sir crashalot The one with the surfer is really cool:thumbsup::inlove:

Mikie likes this.
  14. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Thanks!

15. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Me for everyday ride knee pads.

IXS Flow , super comfy, stay where they should ... Crash tested.

http://bike.ixs.com/en/shop/flow-knee-pad

Ohh if I Am.on a long climb I just push them down to.my ankles... 10sec...but most the time I don't bother.

16. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Oh and washing your pads is a good thing. I just use one of those laundry bags. I just throw them all in cold gentle touch of soap in the wash then just let them air-dry not supposed to but what the hell they're mountain biking pads

Mikie, herzalot and mountaingirl sara like this.
  17. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley

Mikie likes this.
  18. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
  19. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    I have a pair of these and have tried them twice. They aren’t for me as they don’t stay up an I can’t get used to that hard shelled pad, just rubs me wrong. This is not in any way a knock against 7IDP or anything they market. I use plenty of the other stuff they sell and like it. I might try some of the ones with Velcro straps just can’t remember what they are called. You are welcome to try out the ones I have as well as the elbow pads.

20. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Good to know! Obviously I haven’t tried them yet...if I can sneak out, I’ll ride GE tomorrow to test them..poor me, but it must be done :whistling:
    Yeah, they had the more extreme set with straps, I think they all have the gel that’s hard until body temp warms it up.
    I can’t say I’d use elbow pads, seems too restricting!
    Thanks Tom!

21. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    The holy grail for me is comfortable, protective and able to go on/off without removing shoes. Seems to be few around that meet my third criteria. I got a pair of Lizard skins as a prize at a trail day years ago and liked them. Eventually lost them, and couldn't seem to find them anywhere. Seems they're available again and I ordered some a few months ago. They're light on protection and can move if you slide in a crash, but they work well for me because I'm more likely to actually wear them if they are easy to put on. Super comfy.

https://lizardskins.com/mtb/protective-gear/soft-knee

22. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
  23. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Right, I agree on the comfort thing, hopefully these Sevens work, if not I’ll look at the Lizard!

Voodoo Tom, evdog and Mikie like this.
  24. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    I like the concept of these! Why don’t you use the zip on?

Mikie likes this.
  25. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Don't need them for me the regular pads are super comfy, and like I said for a long climb I just push the down to my ankles.

I have not tried the zipper yet but I suspect it may add a little resistance to the flex.

26. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Ooooh.
    I like the look of those. I also like the strap above the calf. With my massive calves, those straps will prevent them from sliding down...:thumbsdown:
    (I actually do have some big calves...:) moooooo!)
    DF93F41B-D758-448C-84C8-FF438308BD31.png

01FF6EF5-CE98-402D-A2C5-1A4A6C893A73.png

C36D7146-B950-41FB-BAB0-F5F68BE5090F.png

27. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    There are sooooo many options out there. The best thing to do is go to a shop that has a huge selection so you don’t end up settling. I personally have a 5 year old pair of 661 knee pads that I would buy again in a heartbeat if they still made them. This season will be their last as they are slowly shredding every time I pull them on.

I’m on the hunt myself while I’m up here in Whistler. I normally don’t wear pads but bought some simple “sleeve” styles that I wear on moderately sketchy terrain. I only wear “real” pads in the park, Mt Wilson, Palm Canyon (you get the idea)

Voodoo Tom and Mikie like this.
  28. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Thanks, I hadn't seen those before. For the last few years I've been wearing just the inner soft pad of my TLD two-piece pads, and these flows look similar. I've gotten by with these but they're getting pretty ragged, and as mentioned I don't put them on as often as I should since they require shoe removal. I sometimes wear them and push down when not needed, but that can only happen if I have them on to begin with :)

I'd want to hear some feedback on how the zipper holds up on the zipper flows as that seems like it could degrade from dirt or get damaged in a crash.

mountaingirl sara, bvader and Mikie like this.
  29. muni

muni Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    17 Yeti SB5
    Really like my POC knee pads but the elbow pads I hate. GForm are the opposite, hate the knee pads but love the elbow pads. GForm stuff feel like your wearing clothing. Wear a GForm armor shirt as well, which protects the collar bone and ribs. I've OTB'd before and landed on a rock. Landing area was my right shoulder and side. The shirt saved me a trip to the ER.

28667163287_cd3b4c7bb2_z.jpg

30. moto knight

moto knight Member

Name:
    kyle
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Bronson
    Im running the ixs flow knee pads as well really like them probably the best I've tried. I have probably 7 to 10 different sets of pads at home that I've tried now. The strap on the ixs folw that's above the calf really helps out with keeping the pad in place. They have seen the ground a few times and have been holding up really well.

bvader, mountaingirl sara and Mikie like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?