Holy Jim, Main Divide, Trabuco Creek loop.

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by shawndoh, Feb 17, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. shawndoh

shawndoh Well-Known Member

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!
    Howdy all.

I'm gonna be leading a group ride for Pure Ride Cycles this Saturday. Take a look and see you might wanna join us.

"Join us for a classic route in the Santa Ana's. Climb Holy Jim, cross Main Divide, descend Trabuco Canyon. The weather is looking perfect for this route. Meet up at 7:20 and roll out at 7:30am. This Saturday, Feb 21st.
    Meet up is at Trabuco Canyon Road and Trabuco Creek Road intersection. The beginning of the wash, a good warm up and free parking.

This will be an advanced ride. 27 miles, 5200ft. If you want to cut your mileage down, you could drive up the wash and meet at the Holy Jim trail head, at 7:50am +/-. This would cut about 6 miles off. Give Shawn a call at the shop 949-581-8900, if you are unsure about the ride level vs. your skill level or fitness. Or check the our website for further break down of skill level."

2. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Nice ride, shawndoh. I'm planned up for Sunday, but if something changes, I'd hop on that fun train?

3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I think you're 1000' over. Isn't that route 4200'? Unless you make a quick side trip to the peak... :thumbup:

I do like that route, and I think I am finally getting my conditioning to the point where I might be able to make it without falling over in a ball of cramps - but alas, Fontana is calling with its 6" moondust turns, awkward rock features and pit bulls - lots of pit bulls.

4. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Solid ride Shawn, good on ya for leading it up. I'm still nurse-maiding so can't be out that long. Did it a few weeks ago and it's all in good shape (another shout to the Maxwell crew for clearing Trabuco, so I heard).
    Herz, fyi, did that a few weeks ago but from the HJ lot, 4000-4100 feet for the loop. Not sure how much riding the almost 5 miles up the wash adds to it, maybe 800 or more?

5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Gracias. I did that loop once in my life (2009?), including the wash and I recall it registering about 4200 on my super accurate Freestyle Altimeter watch that I bought for $40. Sounds like it is around 5000.

I'll be pushing my bike up for 6-8 runs at maybe 400 v ft per run.

6. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    I did this loop a few months ago, Strava has it listed at ~5200 elevation gained. (Lots of up and down on Main Divide)

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.strava.com/activities/212090675" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.strava.com/activities/212090675</a>

It's a good loop that kicked my ass six ways from sunday, but I'm saving my legs for the Rwanda pre-ride if the weather allows :)

7. shawndoh

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!
    Thanks for the feedback, ya'll.

I'm going off my strava data as well, via my tech phone. Which compared to my Garmin wielding friends is usually a bit generous. :shh:

I'll be out the next day for the Rwanda scout as well, weather permitting. Last year's mess still haunts me... :eek:

8. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I've done it from the house, going up Trabuco Wash, and Garmin has it at 4,921.

9. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Name:
    Dan Eitman
    Current Bike:
    Trek Superfly FS
    Enjoy the wall.

Trabuco was in fine shape on Monday, clear, looser than usual this time of year without either the rain or VQ training traffic to wear in a groove, and demanding of your full attention. Watch for the PO on the trail edges starting to come in below the WHT junction, and the high schoolers drifting the soccer vans on the road on your return.

10. shawndoh

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!
    Thanks for the heads up.

11. shawndoh

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!
    Ya'll missed out.

Rain for tomorrow is a bummer.

IMG_20150221_175429.jpg

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?