Oakley's Prizm lenses....

Discussion in 'Eye Wear' started by mtbMike, Apr 3, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Not really a review per se but a friend of mine had two sons that both worked at Oakley and she scored me a set of their new Prizm lensed sunglasses when they first came out. At first glance, they look like something you'd wear on a low light day and for the first couple months, I saved them for that purpose. However, once I actually used them, it was an "a ha" moment. The trail definition popped with these lenses and now I wear them every day whether the sun is out or not. I think there was only one Prizm lens option at the time I received mine and it's the only one I've tried. Now there are multiple options from what I understand.

What prompted me to make this post was the fact that for the 1st time in 3-4 months, I grabbed some different glasses today....Tifosi glasses that I bought in 2013 on a trip to Bend for $70. All I have to say is holy cow, the distortion compared to the Oakley's was prevalent immediately and even after wearing them a couple hours, never completely went away. The Oakley Prizm lenses are far, far, FAR superior in every way. They even lighten your wallet better/faster. :cool:

http://www.oakley.com/en/prizm/sport

2. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    When riding in and out of sun and shade Prizm Trail lenses are great to have.:thumbsup:

3. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Sunglass envy here.

4. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Got any blank sponsorships laying around?

Danmtchl, mtnbikej and DBMX119 like this.
  5. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
    You get what you pay for - Oakley lenses are the bomb. No distortion, easy on the eyes (some lenses make my eyes tired), and pretty scratch resistant.
    But it is hard to cough up $$$ for a pair of glasses that WILL get dropped, hit with a branch/ground, or smacked on the door frame of your car.

6. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    That's why I run cheap sunglasses. Every more expensive pair I've tried has gotten scratched up, broken or lost in short order. The cheap ones seem to last forever for some reason

7. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    I got these glasses and a set of replacement lenses for a whopping $39. Too bad both their sons left Oakley. On the plus side, one of them went over to the Fox division that makes all their pads and other protective gear :)

8. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    Just a heads up for those that live local to the Oakley factory in Lake Forest. They will give you 40% off of retail as a trade in for any other Oakley sunglasses. Doesn't matter how beat up or scratched up they are. So, if you have any old beat up Oakleys laying around, take them in for an upgrade. They didn't charge tax the last time that I did it also. I'll second the review on the Prizm lenses. I like mine a lot.

Danmtchl, mtnbikej, Luis and 4 others like this.
  9. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Hmm!

Danmtchl likes this.
  10. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    Another shoutout for the prizm series lenses. I sorta hate oakley and I basically swore them off for apparel and fashion sun glasses a few years ago. I had a nomex racing suit, driving gloves and shoes of theirs that fell apart. Likewise a backpack and some fashion sunglasses and i had enough.

However... for performance glasses they can't be beat. I have a set of prizm trail glasses and prizm road glasses and I love them both. Worth the money I paid (unfortunately).

11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    ...bot clean up please...

Danmtchl and Faust29 like this.
  12. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    AI text generation has a long way to go...

Thank you for sharing your experience with Oakley's Prizm lenses and how they compare to other sunglasses. It's great to hear that the lenses exceeded your expectations and that they enhance trail definition. It's also interesting to note how noticeable the difference is when switching back to another brand of sunglasses. Oakley has definitely invested in their lens technology and it's good to hear that it pays off in terms of performance. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Danmtchl likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?