Guerrilla Gravity, Denver CO

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mike, Jan 30, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    You guys know I've been super stoked on GG, its domestic-mfr'ing model, its bikes, and my awesome Smash. Like, duh... :rolleyes: I figured as long as I'm doing it anyway, I might as well extol GG's virtues in a more official capacity. To that end, I've signed on with the GG BAMF program.

Demo: My M Smash is available for demo anywhere that I happen to be (keep ya posted). I'm 5'10.5" with long limbs/short torso. I'll be taking on a M Pedälhead (hardtail) soon.

Buy: If anyone has designs on a GG frame or bike, I can get you some scratch off list price if you get in touch with me (PM here works great). Any BAMF can help you similarly, but all may not give the same discount. The BAMF network is growing, and soon will be posted on the GG site. Go USA; go GG!

ggbikes.png

Too much to say about the FS bikes and how they work as a modular system (using same front tri), innovations, yada. The GG guys are awesome about putting out very detailed and current info on the 'net, primarily in the GG sub-forum on another popular MTB site you'Re aware of. Peruse the '18 line (and its new lower prices) here:

http://ridegg.com/

Thanks for the eyes, guys. Rubber down!

PS: Mikie, move this thread anywhere you think it best belongs. Thanks :thumbsup:

Cisco Roots, Mikie, kazlx and 20 others like this.
  2. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Smash, smash, smash.

Mikie, Danmtchl, mike and 1 other person like this.
  3. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Very cool Mike. Awhile back I had my eye on the Megatrail, and found out with a change to a shorter shock it's transformed into a Smash Dog. Didn't realize all the front triangles are the same. Even the 29ers? Versatile. Love what I hear about GG. One of these days....

Mikie, Cyclotourist, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  4. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Definitely want to ride that hardtail. Probably need a large but I can suffer on a medium for a few hours...:thumbsup:

Mikie, RS VR6, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  5. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Yea, Dave, you know! This is from Matt, GG Kingpin:

Trail Pistol: Can be converted from 120 to 130mm rear travel via shock stroke (50mm vs 55m)

Shred Dogg & Megatrail use the same frame, the difference is the shock and fork bolted on. The shorter shock stroke (57.5 vs 65mm) and fork make the difference.

The Smash frame is the same as the Shred Dogg/Megatrail, albeit with a different seat stay kit, and it uses the 57.5mm stroke shock of the Shred Dogg.

You absolutely can buy a Shred Dogg, put an inline air shock on it, and then get a 65mm stroke coil shock to have both the Shred Dogg and Megatrail. Using an adjustable travel fork, or one set to 160mm is the recommendation for that setup. A number of riders have done this, and it is a really good way to optimize the bike for a huge range of riding with minimal changes.

Not quite all the same, but possibilities! :thumbsup:

@rossage, brotherfromanothermother, you are my size and the frames are huge. You'll have no problem on a M Pedälhead. I hope we can connect soon...once I know WTF is up with us. :confused::cool:

Hey, uh, @littlewave, what's on your mind? :geek:

Mikie, kioti, herzalot and 6 others like this.
  6. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    BAMF, MILF, SMILF, WAG......HUH?

Mikie, Danmtchl, kioti and 1 other person like this.
  7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Try one of the bikes and you'll attain enlightenment. :geek:

Barring that... http://bfy.tw/GLaY

:D

Old&InTheWay, Mikie, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  8. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Dude! Drinking the Kool-Aid! And trying to share...:laugh:

Old&InTheWay, Mikie, Danmtchl and 6 others like this.
  9. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Okay, busted for hyperbole... Enlightenment comes from within. :geek:

Nothing ethereal about keeping US MTB dollars in the US, tho. :)

Old&InTheWay, Mikie, Danmtchl and 5 others like this.
  10. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    different specs for different folks but for me, long travel with steep seat angle. GG is among the few that does that...

Old&InTheWay, Mikie, Danmtchl and 7 others like this.
  11. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    A Smash Ride 2 or 1, with a Bikeyoke Revive, coil shock, and MRP ribbon, but who's counting?

Mikie, Danmtchl, mtnbikej and 4 others like this.
  12. 406

406 Member

Name:
    Brian
    Current Bike:
    Ripmo
    Would like to demo a XL (maybe L), might be in CO this summer, but if they make it out to SoCal sooner that would be nice.

Mikie, Danmtchl, mike and 2 others like this.
  13. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    @406, there are a few BAMFs and other GGers going to the Sedona MTB Festival 3/2–3/4. If you can swing that date, you should talk with GG beforehand about a demo there.

I can't imagine there won't be more BAMFs coming on board to serve SoCal, as the '18 program is really just ramping up now. Hopefully some L/XL riders! :geek::thumbsup: A tour of the nerve center is a nice consolation, but I hope you get to ride something before summer. I'll holler if I hear of opportunities... :)

Mikie, Danmtchl, rossage and 3 others like this.
  14. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    PH3Smeadow.jpg

First impressions of the Pedälhead...

Big asterisk on these comments...the cockpit is recycled from another bike, and this bike is being set up for light bikepacking, not trail riding (yet). It weighs 27.5 lbs as shown; a light setup for this bike. A true trail setup will be nudging 29-30.

Compliance hit me as the first thought a few hundred yards into the ST. Due, no doubt, to many factors aside from a steel frame that's designed for vertical compliance. Alloy rims, 2.6" tires in the low 20s, 31.8mm carbon bar. Low was my next thought after a pedal strike, but it just requires a little attention to reap the fun from this quality. Precise, nimble, responsive, fast turn-to-turn; everything you expect from a trail-centric hardtail. Comfortable (temporary) cockpit. Same size bike as my Smash, but feels oddly smaller, which took a little getting used to. I can imagine a 140 fork having an overall positive impact on this bike. Not to mention a dropper when it takes up trail duty.

Despite my fitness having been decimated by the flu a couple weeks back, I was impressed with the PH's climbing prowess. I made a respectable run up something that I should not have, so I have to give some credit to the bike/setup. Unreal low-speed maneuverability. The Rekons are, so far, fantastic; instant acceleration with ample traction. Noticeably less bite than Minions here and there, but worlds lighter of course. You know I pondered a 27.5" setup with 2.8-3" tires, but I might actually be more excited about future 29x2.6-2.8 releases since there is so much room back there.

The XT 11-speed/e13 9-46 drive is the sweetest-shifting 1x I've experienced. Coming from XX1, a couple-year-old XT 10-speed and GX 11-speed on my Smash, this new XT is on another level. Complain about bike mfrs planning obsolescence and changing things, but products like this XT sorta wipe that away. Super worth a little upgrade IMO. 28t in front wants to climb trees...helpful for a loaded bike is the idea.

I gleefully rambled down all the business on Sisters Trail, despite having to stop and de-sanitize a couple of sections (wtf?). Even with the 120 fork and whatevs cockpit, it's really confident and fun. Drop the seat and BeefMX. It's really easy to like this bike – surprising comfort and not-so-surprising performance up and down. I could see some riders owning just this bike and being happy doing everything on it. I'm kind of a squish slut, so that wouldn't be me, but I'll be living on the damn thing for a few weeks coming up, so...

I'd be lying if I said I had zero curiosity about an "extra medium" (custom, med with large length) with a stubby stem. Rampant imaginations aside, I'm really happy with the bike, and see a lot of potential for long days, tech trails, bikepacking...everything short of the careless smashing and drops that my Smash handles so well.

15. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    The other mechanic at our shop has been drooling over the Pedalhead, but he is 6'8 and it's too small for him, but anything is too small for him.

Mikie, Faust29, Cyclotourist and 3 others like this.
  16. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    You should have him call GG. I'd be surprised if they would not be able and willing to do the custom work, and probably for a couple hundy upcharge like the "extra" frames they produce. I think there's hope. :geek:

Mikie, kioti, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  17. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Again, congrats on the new bike but I have an immediate derail...

Wife surprised me the other day with tickets to see Primus in July up at the Greek Theatre. I think this will be our 4th time seeing them, Primus sucks. :sneaky:

Mikie, kioti, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  18. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Haha, WTF?! Primus does suck!! Right on! :thumbsup:

Mikie, kioti, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  19. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I think when he has the money, he was going to see what can be done. I know he didn't like some of the geometry.

Mikie and mike like this.
  20. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Got ya :thumbsup:

I hope he likes Motörhead. Included frame accessory:

PHshirt.jpg

21. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Mikie, mtnbikej, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  22. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
  23. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    @Danmtchl, I was chatting with Bobby @ GG, 6'9" – says he rides a XXL Trail Pistol and they do a few runs per year of big frames. :thumbsup:

24. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Wow, I would love to see that frame. Thank you, and I will pass this information on to Matt.

Mikie, Cyclotourist and mike like this.
  25. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Light Weight build????? I say Beefy. :sneaky: :laugh: :thumbsup:

Mikie, Faust29, rossage and 4 others like this.
  26. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    It's all about context. :cautious::cool:

I wonder what a lightweight M1 Abrams build checks in at...

Mikie, Faust29, RS VR6 and 4 others like this.
  27. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
  28. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    scottay and mtnbikej like this.
  29. Sassyquatch

Sassyquatch Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sam

I grabbed an XXL Smash (one of the last made) used at about 100 miles. Frikkin WunderBike! It has seen Whistler valley trails (including a couple double blacks), Tiger Mountain in Renton near Seattle (including Predator, a double black DH trail), and part of Raging River in north Bend near Seattle. Haven’t ridden it down here in SoCal yet, but my bet is it will be pretty much perfect....

8785E87C-DF0A-4D04-81B4-1A5443B85CA2.jpeg

30. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Congratulations on Smashing the west with your new bike! I hope to read about more... Welcome to Aye Empty Bee Trails, too. TFPU :thumbsup:

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?