Caliente, Nevada?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mtbMike, Feb 12, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Has anybody ever taken a trip out to ride in Caliente, Nevada? @evdog? Due to it's location, I don't think many people get out there. I know the shop guys from Over the Edge in Hurricane do day trip out there occasionally. I'm thinking about heading out there in early April to try something new, maybe ride a day in Vegas on the way home.

2. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    No, have been wanting to check it out but if I'm driving that far I'm generally not stopping for anything not named Gooseberry. Caliente is a 2-hr side trip from there that doesn't get us closer to home. Sounds like they continue to build new trail though. One of these days... Been a while since I've ridden Vegas too.

Cyclotourist, Mikie, mtbMike and 3 others like this.
  3. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    I hear ya on the timing issue which is my hang up as well. However, I talked to Quentin the owner at Over the Edge and he said Caliente is worthy of a full weekend trip. I guess I'll watch the weather and make a last minute decision.

Cyclotourist, Mikie and hill^billy like this.
  4. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

PLEASE let us know? Thanks in advance :).

Cyclotourist and Mikie like this.
  5. TwoWheel Eric

TwoWheel Eric Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    I went with a few friends last May...tied it in with a St. George trip. It's a bit out of the way, but a cool old railroad town...it was the main rail stop in Nevada before they built up Las Vegas. The town had something like 100 bars in 1900. Now it has one and a handful of restaurants that close early. We stayed at The Hot Springs Motel and it was kinda neat to use the indoor private hot springs. The trails were quite scenic and the rock formations were pretty cool. The riding is not on a par with St. George riding...trails a bit sandy and blown out, but if you like exploring new dirt and cool little historic towns it was a worthwhile stopover. There is also a municipal BMX and pump track in a town park.

6. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    You live!!! :cool:

mike, Cyclotourist and herzalot like this.
  7. jimbowho

jimbowho Well-Known Member

Name:
    james jim jimmy
    Current Bike:
    GT sensor
    We used to go there with a lotta lotta riders in the winter. After a long miles day, it was beer and hot springs. CAREFUL, getting off the bike "moto's" from snow all day into Very Hot water can be painful. I was a member of the Shamrocks M.C. and there's a Shamrocks Pub?? We went in with our jerseys and got a free monster mug of swill. The riding "off-road" is the Disneyland of dirt. For mountain biking I wouldn't do it without a seasoned trail boss, you could get lost out there.

8. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    It's hot out there!

mike likes this.
  9. TwoWheel Eric

TwoWheel Eric Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    . The mtb trail system that they built is fairly well signed, although we did get a bit mixed up at one point, but perfectly safe for first timers in my opinion.

mike and DangerDirtyD like this.