Best Shoes for Riding Flat Pedals?

Discussion in 'Shoes' started by Mikie, Dec 20, 2014.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. heyitsdave

heyitsdave Member

Name:
    Dave Gilbert
    Current Bike:
    29er single speed
    Where could I go try these things on locally?

Mikie, DangerDirtyD and Danmtchl like this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Update: My Ride Concepts Hellions are fantasmic! Slightly stiffer in the sole than my 5.10 Impacts, and just a couple of millimeters more room - which is all I needed. Comfy, perform well, good on the hike-a-bikes. Ridden with Spank Spoons, Straitlines and DMR Vaults. When my 5.10 Kestrel Lace cleated shoes wear out, I will get the RC version.

3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Nowhere right now, but if retailers open up and allow try-ons, The Path in Tustin usually has a good selection. But don't be a show-roomer. If you try them on there and they fit BUY THEM THERE! Don't try to save $5 by using the LBS as your personal shopper, then throw the shop under the economic bus and purchase through an online outfit.

Mikie, sir crashalot, bvader and 4 others like this.
  4. heyitsdave

heyitsdave Member

Name:
    Dave Gilbert
    Current Bike:
    29er single speed
    I saw them there. They had a couple styles but we're way too heavy for my style of riding. I try to buy from those guys when I can. They were awesome when I bought my Sutra from them.

5. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I have weird feet, with narrow heel and arch, but real wide toes. Thirty years of wearing Birkenstocks! So I end up usually having to go up a half size so my little piggies have room to wiggle. Initially I like all three models, which I wasn't really planning on. Freeriders are clunkiest/heaviest, but will offer the most protection. Trailcross are really light and airy. Sleuth somewhere in the middle. Hopefully will decide today so I can get them back in the mail and credited ASAP!

Mikie, mtnbikej, mike and 1 other person like this.
  6. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Grrr.... I have tried 11 and 11.5 Ride Concepts Powerlines... Seem like good shoes.... too small so far... so I am debating a 12
    They seem narrow to me...
    Maybe I should be trying the Hellions the Powerline are beefier which I like ... more support the better...

Hmmmmm......

Mikie likes this.
  7. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I ended up keeping the Sleuths... really like those! I also kept the Trailcross... don't like them as much, but if I ever do bikepacking/camping/exploratin' I can see how these would be good shoes. Real light and fast drying for all the creek crossings I will be doing in my head! These are both Adidas branded shoes, with a 5.10 logo screened/embossed on the side. They fit much truer to size, and I could have got away with size 10.5 rather than 11. Ended up going with size 11 for both as that gave me just a bit more room around my toes (see above). They definitely run narrow. The Freerides in contrast were fully 5.10 branded, and unfortunately seemed dated and lower build quality/design compared to the newer Adidas designed & branded shoes. They have the typical 5.10 fit, and no way I could get a 10.5 to fit. 11 was the minimum, maybe even an 11.5. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

8. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Hellions fit tighter than the powerlines, at least for me.

Mikie and bvader like this.
  9. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    I decided to keep the Impact Pros. The fit is actually just fine, and ultimately doesn't feel too dissimilar from my Freeriders. But, after 2 days of riding I'm not sure if I can get used to them. I've been wearing my current Freeriders for a minute, and can't recall what they were like out of the box, but I feel like they were immediately right. The Impacts seem super stiff, with poor pedal feel, but also super tacky and hard to adjust placement. The sole also seems overly wide, to the point that I feel like I'm either standing on the bearing housing or off the outside of the pedal. I just got them for a little extra toe protection over the Freeriders on certain trails, but I think the venerable Freerider is going to be impossible to unseat for me.

Mikie, mike, bvader and 5 others like this.
  10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    @buggravy that's what I like about the Hellions. They fix the only things I didn't really like about my Impacts. A little less bulky, a little less vague, and a little less tacky. Plus a better overall fit. BUT - I'm not really a flat pedal guy for most riding. Just for descending extreme stuff. (Extreme to me). Maybe Joplin and the off-menu stuff around here (that I haven't ridden in four years).

Mikie, bvader, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I think Emily has it all figured out....:

D09CC6B2-77F6-4130-8E06-7FDB75056064.jpeg

herzalot, Mikie, Obsidian and 2 others like this.
  12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    29er looks a bit big for her, thus the stillettos. Looks like she recovered from her injuries and is ready to race!

BTW - look at that dropped stem.

Stkx66 and mtnbikej like this.
  13. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    @buggravy
    Super important no joke.
    There is a known issue with impact pros. The glue that fixes the heel cushion is weak / terrible and will detach in warm push to the bottom then re-adhere.
    If you force your foot in this will happen and then it sucks!!

Highly recommend using a shoe horn and not not lump heavy stuff in top of your shoe when stored.

Other than that shoes are incredible IMHO a big bulky but heh they are way solid and fo the job.

Cyclotourist and buggravy like this.
  14. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I need to get CJ (Cathy) some shoes for riding flats, any updates on suggestions?

Cyclotourist and mtbMike like this.
  15. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    I don't ride flats except for family or doggy putts but a while back I bought a pair of Shimano GR5's for a song from Fadi. They seem to do what a shoe is supposed to do and I can wear em all day casually. I know Five Tens are the holy grail and another that looks like a solid shoe is the Ride Concepts.

Cyclotourist and Mikie like this.
  16. clydes001

clydes001 Member

Name:
    clyde
    Current Bike:
    cannondale m400 (classic)
    Big fan of the Giant Shuttle Flat. Nice built in shoelace management. Light weight, and pretty sharp looking (imho)
    8C4C59A4-1E81-4524-A186-091237B0DDE4.jpeg

17. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Thanks! I’m looking at both 5.10 and Ride Concepts on Jensons and have no idea what to look for.

Cyclotourist likes this.
  18. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Those are pretty sharp. I will share with the Misses, thanks!

Cyclotourist likes this.
  19. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    I was just gonna suggest Jenson in case you need to return them for a different size.

20. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    As @Voodoo Tom stated, Five Tens are the Holy Grail. They are the Q-Tip, Kleenex and Chapstick of flats. Everyone else is playing catch-up and fighting over being the first loser.

21. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I ride Five-Tens, therefore, I am.

Cyclotourist, Voodoo Tom and Mikie like this.
  22. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    CJ went for these because they’re……….. cute! :whistling:
    AC2CDB84-E92A-438C-AD70-D401BF60F9CB.png

23. clydes001

clydes001 Member

Name:
    clyde
    Current Bike:
    cannondale m400 (classic)
    I think CJ would enjoy these. I don’t have FR pros, but I use Five Ten FRs.

My son is the one who uses the Giant Shuttles. But I get some some envy for them every once in a while.

24. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Since I switched to flats a few years ago I have gone through (3) differnt brands. In order... (2) pairs of Pearl Izumi (X-Alp Launch), Giro (chamber?), & Five10 (Freerider Pro). The Pearls where really good everywhere except the sole, the teeth tore em up quickly, The lightest out of all three. Went through them in 3 dozen rides or so. They were super light, decent to walk in, not so comfy, stiff soles for bueno pedaling. The Giro's were SUUUPer comfy, more like a skate shoe, decent sole, kind stiff, good to hike a bike in. Big fat tongue was kind of obtrusive. The soles wore out almost as fast as the Pearl's. Five 10's have been everything everyone says they are. Nice and stiff for bueno pedaling, not so stiff you can't HAB. Low profile allows for dirt to find its way in easily is my only gripe. These are by far superior to the other two I have tried. One thing I think a lot of people overlook is on a MTB shoe is the front toe box. I seem to stub or bang the front "toe box" quite often. And ,the 510's by far have a solid toe box. Other shoes I would have died. The grip and durability of the 510's makes it easy to pay almost twice as much as the other shoes.

25. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    This is awesome info Amigo! Thank you for taking the time to share it. I feel like I just got edu-mah-cated! Thanks buddy!

Cyclotourist and mtnbikej like this.
  26. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    5.10 used to run a bit small, but the Adidas branded ones are very true to size. I bought a couple pair last year using the olden days sizing, and the new ones are a bit big now. NBD, just a thing.

Diytypeofguy and Mikie like this.
  27. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    right now Ride Concepts is doing 50% off on the '21 shoes. Just got a pair of Powerlines

Cyclotourist, Redman, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  28. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

You are not long for this world.

@Mikie

Clean up on Aisle 7 coming up.

herzalot, Mikie, Old&InTheWay and 2 others like this.
  29. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    herzalot, Mikie and Old&InTheWay like this.
  30. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Here's an update on my trail runners FWIW: I've been using La sportiva Akyra's and Wildcats for over 4 yrs now. Not as great grip as 5.10s but they are super comfortable shoes, and yeah great for hike a bike. I still have the initial pair of Akyra's, they have a ton of miles and are pretty beat up but I still use them for short local rides. The bottom of the sole has been pretty torn up by pedal pins. At this point its still holding up better than my recent pairs of 5.10s which had been completely falling apart after not much more than a year. Planning to continue using the trail runners. Using a pair of Wildcats right now for longer rides. I'd say their main limitation is they are not great for cold weather since they get a lot of airflow through them. On the plus side that makes them great for hot weather or where there are stream crossings, as they are faster drying.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?