Just Bought a Bike Yoke Revive Dropper

Discussion in 'Dropper Seat Posts' started by bvader, Jul 22, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Reverb acting up again tired of it...never been my favoritre

I Was looking at Fox Transfer *very* highly rated but ended up with this German Post from Bike Yoke, also extremely highly rated and supposedly simpler and more reliable internals.

Getting Rave reviews...and user serviceable... and no soggy sagging...

31.6mm 160mm Travel

https://www.bikeyoke.de/en/seatpost-revive-160-31-6.html

http://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Vital-MTB-Face-Off-The-Best-Dropper-Posts,1762

http://enduro-mtb.com/en/bikeyoke-revive-dropper-post-bleed-button/

Once I get it, ride it... I will report back.

Voodoo Tom, Danimal, Mikie and 8 others like this.
  2. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    They also make a Reverb conversion kit, from hydraulic to a cable. Thought about getting one.

Voodoo Tom, Mikie, mike and 1 other person like this.
  3. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Yeah thought about that but it's the internal seals IFP that is causing me issues.. just done with it.

Voodoo Tom, Varaxis, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  4. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    I've had mine for a couple rides now. Very very happy. Works even if I have it down for long periods of time, which I can't say about any KS Lev I've used. Had the bike clamped by the seatpost in the bike stand for a couple hours and got a little vertical play, quick "revive" and it was perfect again. Lever action is nice and light. And install was super easy.

No long term reliability yet but so far I am thoroughly impressed. I think you'll really dig this post.

Voodoo Tom, UPSed, Luis and 5 others like this.
  5. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Same for me, just put it on a few weeks ago. No issues with it despite flipping upside down to put on/remove wheels.

Voodoo Tom, UPSed, Danmtchl and 5 others like this.
  6. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    So I finally got time to install and experience the BikeYoke Revive.

What make the Revive Different? It has a valve to re-seperate Oil / Air in that case that happens. The air / oil in the wrong places is what cause the issues on so many posts. Plus it is simpler no IFP and only has 2 seals instead of 4. Interested read this:
    https://www.bikeyoke.de/en/seatpost-revive-160-31-6.html

I got mine from Universal Cycles when the had a coupon $338 no tax (in CA) no shipping, pretty awesome.

Other have posted weight etc, (624 all in full cable) here is a pic of the packaging etc. exudes modern industrial design. BTW just hand to hand, this is lighter than my reverb for sure.
    IMG_20170728_135236.jpg

Installation:

Was pretty straight forward but here are a couple minor lessons learned. (most of you obviously would figure this out on your own) I am a mid level wrench.

1) Cable Housing Length.

The manual says cut the cable housing at the to top of the seat tube collar after fitting for length. (which I did) Then shorten 90mm for minimum insertion... minimum insertion being the operative phrase. Of course for me I need my seat significantly lower took me a moment to think about. I knew my seat post clamp to rail distance from old post (marked it before I took it out) ... did all the math etc. and worked it out.

But then I just measured the rail to seat post clamp distance, put some blue painter tape at the point on the Yoke seat post, then just measured the distance from the tape to the bottom of the seat post cylinder. That gave me a cm or two extra length. Perfect fit. Its my bike and legs, don't need a bunch of extra cable.

2) Attaching the Locking Cable End (hope this makes sense)

I followed the instruction measured my 17mm and attached the Locking Cable End secured it. Already back of my head knew this wasn't going to work perfect. Sure enough when I cut the inner cable as close as I could with my nice pair of cable cutters it was not flush. Makes sense my Cable cutters are symmetrical blades so it cut the cable the blades width long about 1.5mm since that is as close as I could get to the Locking Cable End. No worries I pulled out my cheapy wire cutters that are flat on one side and trimmed it up good.

Next time I will put on the locking cable, measure out the the 17mm, only slightly tighten the end, mark the wire (probably with my favorite blue tape), then back off the locking end, cut the cable exactly, then slide the cable end back into position and tighten it. Then it will be perfectly flush.

Super Nit: I guess I would rather cut the inner cable at the trigger than the post, seems to be the direction some posts are headed.

3) Minor reminder.
    Once you have everything I would exercise the post some. I did not need to "Revive" mine solid right from the get go, but I would exercise it a bit and then wipe the post clean as you can, clearly there is a little extra lube in a good way, I just wanted it really clean before I took it out. Silly for some reason I can't wait to try out the Revive.. but hey if I never need to that is just OK too.

Ok so on to the post...

Nice clean looking post, black goes with my Bronson motif.
    IMG_20170730_100757.jpg

First everyone says smooth, and of course I have to say Yup smoooooth, and I think for me is that means low effort to depress. Also there is no big initial stiction point. It operates at a lower pressure than most the competitors yet it extend at a nice reasonably quick velocity. (leads me to believe the fewer seals = less friction / stiction) I can easily depress it with just my hand, don't have to do that whole bend over and lean on it thing.

I have no fore / aft play at all, and super minimal rotational less my others (All droppers). The post is solid, the seat clamp is simple but well designed / sturdy.

I have the Triggy lever.. Like it A lot!, Nice Size, the "aerated" approach is tactile and looks cool (I am already going faster), attached it to my matchmaker and whullah... nice fit, almost like it was designed that way wink5.gif
    IMG_20170728_174517.jpg

Today's ride was uneventful (which it should be, although with Droppers who knows). Compressed when it should have extended when it should and as other mentioned easy to modulate with the Triggy. Feels very solid even when I was grinding away up the climbs. No creaking, tested play afterwards no for aft, same super minimal rotation.

Sounds silly will actual take a ride or two to get used to the extra 10ish mm of drop.

Summary:
    I am a super happy camper at this point (I know the new component crush), my Reverb just flat out let me down (several times), I was never really happy with it, I have friends that love them, just didn't work for me real well. I liked my KS after I got it rebuilt, but some reason the engineering always left me guessing a bit. (that little kevlar string etc)

But NOW I have a Revive... seriously I think if this post was a "big brand" it would be the leading sold post by far, BUT I already really appreciate the thoughtful engineering. The only thing left is long term durability and I think I will be really surprised if it doesn't shine there as well.

Very happy I have been Revived! ... Well Done BikeYoke!

7. littlewave

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
  8. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    That is sweet!
    Super clean!
    Waiting for the day a dropper is bomb proof to replace my one and only ever purchased Gravity Dropper. Still running strong with minimum maintenance for a solid 3 years. The only thing I dislike on my dropper is that big rubber boot!:eek: Looks like a Honda Civic steering system.
    Let us know how it works long term!
    Thanks!

(ps: I'm teary eyed you placed this in the Dropper Post Forum.... its....its...... beautiful! :cry:)

Voodoo Tom, Danmtchl, Varaxis and 6 others like this.
  9. TwoWheel Eric

TwoWheel Eric Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Very Nice!

Danmtchl, bvader, Mikie and 1 other person like this.
  10. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    I aim to please...

Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  11. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    I like the rubber boot. When I see one, I see function over form. Practicality, frugality, and ultra-low maintenance. Us bootless dropper users are asked to wipe down the slider after every ride, to prevent dust from caking and making it past the seal, and creating a nice grinding paste inside.

BTW, you'll find the same in almost every rack and pinion steering system (not sure why you called out the Honda Civic, as if implying it were repulsive).

<--- is part of the not getting another Reverb club too. Fox Transfer, KS Lev, Gravity Dropper, this, 9.8 Fall Line, all part of my options. e13's too. Kind of iffy about the CB Highline. Really wish the Vecnum post were available for delivery to the US, but by the time they get their supply and warranty line in place, integrated droppers would have become all the rage--see Liteville's/Eightpins version, with Specialized set to have one too (do they even have a 150+mm travel post?).

Mikie, bvader, rossage and 1 other person like this.
  12. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Yo V! The more I read the more I also like the 9point8 FallLine, I think it also is a "Next Gen" post focusing on simplicity, reliability and serviceability.

Danmtchl, Varaxis and Mikie like this.
  13. TwoWheel Eric

TwoWheel Eric Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Hey bvader how's the bike yoke? My reverb is due for a rebuild.

Danmtchl likes this.
  14. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Awesome. No issues. Haven't even had to do the revive thing

Danmtchl likes this.
  15. TwoWheel Eric

TwoWheel Eric Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Good to hear. Still liking the lever feel?

Danmtchl likes this.
  16. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Danmtchl and Mtbikept like this.
  17. Mtbikept

Mtbikept Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Peter
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson
    My reverb went out and been reading reviews on bike yoke. Pulled the trigger thanks to your post, have been riding with it 3+ months and liking it a lot for the reasons you mention (great ergo lever and post feels solid)

Danmtchl, UPSed and bvader like this.
  18. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Dredging up the past... My new-to-me bike has a Revive 160. It's probably a year old but only 4-5 months of use. I was bummed on the ride today as the post sunk down about 5mm when sitting on it. Was thinking oh no, tear it apart or costly rebuild. Looking further, I found the post has a built in bleed valve. Open the valve with a 4mm allen, push the post down, then press the lever to return. No more sinking! BTW, it is super smooth too, and absolutely no side to side wiggle. Love it!

bvader, Cyclotourist, mike and 5 others like this.
  19. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    You didn't know about that valve???? That is the whole reason to buy the revive

20. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    No I didn't!!!! I didn't buy the seatpost per se, I bought the bike that had it on there. The Lev on my old bike has been flawless for a number of years so have not researched newer droppers in awhile. I like this one so far, and now get why it's named "Revive" :thumbsup::)

bvader, Obsidian, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  21. littlewave

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    One of if not the best bike components I’ve purchased. Glad you’re liking yours!

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?