Modern rim widths, in comes Mavic

Discussion in 'Rims' started by dustyyoungblood, Jul 17, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Great looking wheels, wish they made a stealthy version. Problem is those spokes. Not very common and would have to special order them at $10+ PER spoke.

I tend to stay away from anything too proprietary like that.

rossage likes this.
  2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Trippy, the pro wheelset has different widths on F/R.

Danmtchl and dustyyoungblood like this.
  3. We often use smaller width tires on rear, so why not adjust the rim also? brilliant

Danmtchl likes this.
  4. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    We often use an oversized front tire, because of a trend of heavy-rearward-weight-biased bikes. Besides lack of confidence with grip up front, due to understeer (ex. washing out, due to the bike wanting to continue going straight), such bikes experience lots of abuse on a rear wheel, which happens to be less strong due to dish and poor bracing angle, leading to solutions such as foam inserts, heavy casing tires, and running higher pressures.*

The reason quoted in the article is to create a rounded profile. A rounder profile makes the tire response more consistent over a range of lean angles, esp considering the rear needs to rely on it more than the front since it cannot be steered.

* Not really bashing the trend. I also enjoy the riding offered by this style. Just wanting to offer a different perspective on the reason why some run a "smaller width tire on the rear".

5. @Varaxis what are some examples of bikes with "heavy rearward weight bias"? I recall riding some bikes were I ended up leaning more forward then was comfortable to keep the front tire making traction in corners. I attributed that to crappy tires, but perhaps it was weight bias:

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?