The Jims, CNF, 7/16

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by mike, Jul 13, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Added to Calendar: 07-16-17
  1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    @Faust29, you married the right lady!

What a ride! Short and brutal. I felt like I was dragging a cinder block behind me all morning. But!... Great to make lemonade, get HJ virgins on the trail, and ride with inner circle members.

Weasel had a jump on us while Joe and I waited for the guys. They showed, Jose bolted up the trail and was gone, catching the Weez at MD. The MD climb was especially high gravity, but we all had fun once we pointed 'em DH. @Toxicmoto713 aka All-Go Joe was battling cramps and showed how to persevere. Everybody else was plumb tuckered. We dealt...

I had a dull edge for tech riding today, having to repeat a couple parts of UHJ. Also the drop off MD into HJ...I hope Jose can post the vid on my first attempt where I became one with the forest. Luis and Joe crushed it. Everybody did a great job of getting down without mishap, besides me, that is!

Not too many people out due to heat and humidity, but a great time was had with riders from points all around SoCal. Great to make your acquaintance, Mike, Jose and Joe! Great to ride again, Luis. And Moria xox.

UPSed, Luis, rossage and 4 others like this.
  2. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Check out these guys dealing with some rough stuff:

Luis
    Jose
    SnakeCharmer
    Joe

Joe...was that cramping story a ruse? Looks like it :cool:

I asked the weasel to back up and do it again for the camera. "No way!"

3. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Here's a few pics from today. I took them on the way up and Jose was long gone, so no pic of him, lol.

@mike
    IMG_1600.JPG

@Luis
    IMG_1608.JPG

@Toxicmoto713
    IMG_1598.JPG

Big, spooky tree down in the creek.
    IMG_1595.JPG

Tom the Bomb, Grego, Luis and 11 others like this.
  4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    @Toxicmoto713
    Palmer Edition Tracer - noooiiiice! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Nice photos, stories and video clips. Looks like you all had a great time. :cool:

5. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Glad you all had fun, bummed I missed it. I really did get rallied up and had my gear ready but just didn't have it in me and in hindsight am glad I didn't go.

I don't want to be a flake so I'll stop reading and/or responding to invites and continue riding alone. Didn't you flake on your own SS posted ride recently? :rolleyes:

6. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Cornman, all good, matie, we'll get some stuff in when it's right. But, you gotta post a shot of the kid's room!! :)

I'm thinking 6:30 is way too late to start, but ya can't beat up the people coming from far away. Ideally, south/east facing climbing should be done in the dark or twilight in this questionable weather. Duh!!!!! :unsure::confused:

7. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Didn't even get the furniture moved but got another set of 4 sample colors for the baby girl's room and moved our office out of his new room. Got the other side of a mattress steam cleaned by 8:30am that the MIL is taking and squeezed a Costco run in as well. Biggest chunk done today was all the office stuff that is in his new room. If you all think I'm bullshitting than come take a look for yourselves..

IMG_2790.JPG

IMG_2788.JPG

IMG_2789.JPG
    D!cks

8. Toxicmoto713

Toxicmoto713 Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Intense tracer
    It was a great ride today, you are all a great bunch of guys to ride with I'm looking forward to the next one. The legs aren't one hundred percent but at least the cramping has stopped I made it home with only one episode haha:thumbsup:

Mikie, Tom the Bomb, Luis and 7 others like this.
  9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Yup. I flake almost every time I say maybe!

I pulled the 180 on my SS day pretty quickly though, so that should count for something.

10. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Nice report and sweet riding. Glad you guys scored.

Mikie, Tom the Bomb and mike like this.
  11. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Was it worth the drive and getting up at 3:45an for? Why yes it was!
    In my opinion it wasn't really that hot but the humidity made it a challenge.

Last time I rode this area I drove up the wash and parked at the HJ trailhead, all I remembered from that time was the slow going up and down the washboard dirt road. So this time I decided to ride up it instead. Better choice in my opinion, definitely more fun blasting down it on a bike.
    Not gonna bore you with the early morning coordinating of riders, pick up points etc but it worked out. The only error was looking for a 24hr Subway restaurant along the 5fwy. Jose thought it was a different fwy exit that it actually turned out to be, so yea we looked like the keystone cops pulling u-turns and looking at maps. That made us lose 20 minutes and made us late. Sorry @mike :unsure:

Parked at the start of the wash and we quickly geared up and @Jose m Cepeda @SnakeCharmer (Mike) and I took off like shot up the wash. Just about the half way point we passed a group of riders that had taken off just as we had parked. They were going to do an out and back on the road o_O oh well, at least they were up early and riding :thumbsup:
    We met up with @Toxicmoto713 (Joe) and @mike and the trailhead and we took off after Mike's wife Moria was already headed up to the top. Umm correction, Jose took off like a bat out of you know where, seems like he was feeling really good since I wouldn't see him again until the very top.
    As we approached the fork to the HJ falls and the start of the climb up, I didn't see a low hanging fallen tree and proceeded to smack my head on it. I hit it so hard I heard my neck crack OUCH :confused: luckily I didn't break my glasses that I placed at top my helmet.

The HJ switchbacks are fun, some require some finessing and strength to get around. I planned to see how many I could clear this time around, lost track around #8 or so and I came up on Mike and Mike who were taking a breather waiting for me to come up. I bragged about how many I had cleared and after we started rolling, I proceeded to dab at the next switchback :oops:

The climb seemed to take longer this time around. I walked more of the upper sections because the air just seemed heavy, making it that much harder. As we neared the top, my head started to clear from the hard hit it took so that by the time time I reached main divide I was able to settle into a steady rhythm to attack the climb on the FR. Oh don't get me wrong though, the FR climb sucks a$$ as well. The best part of the climb was reaching the upper HJ trailhead and seeing Jose and Moria waiting for us to arrive.

The decent was kickass!!! Upper HJ reminds me of some sections of the silver moccasin at Chilao. You have to always be looking ahead at the next challenge being thrown at you. The only thing is that before you know it, it's over and you're back at main divide :unsure: From then on we blasted down the rest of HJ. Following Jose and Joe, I got to eat some dust but we all made it down without incident.

Some pics:

Getting ready to roll
    IMG_1766.JPG

Two thumbs up from crazy Jose who was psyched for the decent
    IMG_1768.JPG

Aaaand he's off :D
    IMG_1770.JPG

@SnakeCharmer weaving his way down upper HJ
    IMG_1773.JPG

Moria shredding it
    IMG_1777.JPG

@mike Shredding it as well. If I superimpose Mike and Moria's pictures, they had the same riding style. They both ride smooth!
    IMG_1780.JPG

IMG_1781.JPG

Oh yeah, this is what it looks like on Relive:
    https://www.relive.cc/view/1086929431

Thanks again Mike for posting up this ride and thanks for the cold brew at the end!

Mikie, Tom the Bomb, Grego and 12 others like this.
  12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Looks like fun....but I wanna know which ones if you used the Chevy to shuttle up to the top. :rolleyes:

Mikie, Tom the Bomb, mike and 3 others like this.
  13. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Eyyy holmes don't make fun of my cheby

Mikie, Tom the Bomb, rossage and 5 others like this.
  14. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    WOW, how stories fly and get twisted... o_O:Roflmao

I ain't saying who it was, but yes, someone got a SHORT ride in a super-badass FORD Raptor. We all saw the truck and I don't blame the rider among us one bit for hopping into the bed to sample the ride. The unnamed rider among us took a short ride (1/4-1/3 mile) up the Main Divide road to catch up to another rider in the party where he unloaded his bike and finished the grind up. I saw it with my own eyes. These are the facts and truths... :whistling:

15. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    WTH really??? :speechless:

Mikie, Tom the Bomb, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  16. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Is that the first youve heard of it?!

Mikie, Tom the Bomb, mike and 2 others like this.
  17. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Imagine the surprise on your companions' faces as they wait for a truck to pass...then they see one of their own with his bike in the bed. Not saying who, but imagine that surprise :)

18. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    LOL

Mikie, Tom the Bomb, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  19. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    :laugh::Roflmao
    I remember seeing a truck making his way towards us in the far distance as I stopped to take off my sweat soaked gloves. I just kept trekking upwards half expecting it to catch me. Mostly I was hoping it would never catch me, which it never did :thumbsup:

Mikie, Tom the Bomb, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  20. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Yup had not heard until now o_O

21. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    What, ya think your teammates r gonna rat you out? Mum's the word unless you die. "Hey guys, Fred just keeled over back there, no vitals at all...let's shred this thing!"

22. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    The rider who used lift assistance isn't at all ashamed. Rather, he felt "privileged and then rejuvenated".

Or so, that's what I heard...

23. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Salsas climb better with one gear.

24. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    And if I recall correctly, one of those 1 gear bikes cleaned the MD climb from LHJ to UHJ with a banged up knee. :whistling::rolleyes:

25. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Was that the day you went down at the turn between the rocks on LHJ? :whistling:

Mikie, Tom the Bomb, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  26. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

Yup.....fall down/go boom. But I still cleaned the MD climb. :thumbsup:

Mikie, Tom the Bomb, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  27. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Ah ha, so cleaning that little section of the Divide is a big deal then. I see. Is it always so loose and deep dusty? It almost seemed like it had just been grated. Energy zapping.

BTW, the guys werent kidding about the flies at the top of LHJ. Good God, I have never seen anything like that before. :eek:

28. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    You were actually on the nice section. Between Upper Holy Jim and Santiago Peak, it gets a lot rougher...

29. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    It's in pretty good shape right now. It gets worse.

The flies.....yeah, welcome to the Santa Ana's during the summer.

30. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I wonder why its not like that in the San Gabes? Ive been all over up there and there is nothing like that sort of concentration.

Mikie, Runs with Scissors and mike like this.