The Fishing Thread

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by SnakeCharmer, Jun 19, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I have seen only one fishing related thread here. Is that all there is??? CANT BE?! :(

Does anyone here fish???

We (or maybe just I?) need a thread here for everything fishing related.

Now, who here likes/loves to fish, where, and for what type(s) of fish?

2. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I LOVE FISH!IMG_5834.jpg

kioti, Cornholio, CBone and 4 others like this.
  3. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    OK, then we will make a great team: I catch 'em, you eat 'em.

I LOVE TO FISH, but I don't care much about eating fish. I work with fish so eating them is like eating my pets from my POV but I commonly keep what is good to eat for friends and family if they want it.

4. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Fish doesn't get fresher than this:

I'm sitting on the shore of East Canyon Reservoir with a small fire going. Hooked an eating-sized 15-inch rainbow trout. Pulled it off the hook, gutted it and threw it on the fire. 90 seconds from swimming to grilling. :thumbsup::geek:

Man that was good!!

5. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Yep, been there, done that too. Went backpacking through Devil's Canyon in the San Gabriel Wilderness. The guys didn't bring enough food and I heard that there was trout in the creek so I brought gear. Fresh caught Rainbow Trout on the campfire grill was mighty taste and it saved us.

DangerDirtyD, kioti, CBone and 3 others like this.
  6. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    My brother and I hiked the John Muir Trail when he was 16 and I was 20. By the time we got to Rae Lakes we were starving. So we sat next to the stream with a line in the water, looking at a huge school of trout. They looked back at us. Eventually, they must've felt sorry for us and gave up 3 of their smallest, who went right into the fry pan and then our mouths.

7. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    For the last 3 years my dad and I have been taking a Father's Day Canadian fishing excursion for pacific ocean Salmon, Halibut, and Cod fishing. Just got back in the states today.

IMG_20170616_140856_149_zpsn2skpilw.jpg

IMG_20170615_185931_767_zpsogavkwah.jpg

IMG_20170616_201056_945_zpsvnwjsqyk.jpg
    IMG_20170614_225654_894_zpsp5nzf2pv.jpg
    20170614_224142_zpsym8jbj6o.jpg

The fishing lodge is in complete isolation only accessible by boat/heli. On the heli ride in looking at all the terrain had me dreaming of building trails out here.
    20170614_124807_zpsceqlknpn.jpg

Daddy Dirtbag, Luis, konakc and 15 others like this.
  8. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    ^ Very nice! :thumbsup:

Pacific Halibut (not California Halibut) is one fish I can never get tired of eating.

9. Sure.
    Terrible fresh water angler
    Moderately skilled Spearfisherman(kind of retired for MTB at this point)
    And after the last couple CA offshore seasons sort of fanatic saltwater angler.

Dustan-3.jpg

IMG_0026.JPG

IMG_1741.JPG

IMG_2719.JPG

IMG_2931.JPG

IMG_2914.JPG

IMG_3103.JPG

10. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I knew that there would be somebody here who fished hard. :thumbsup:

The action along the So Cal coast is coming to life. Let's go pull on something! :D

11. Last time I was out, November, we spotted and hooked a couple stripped Marlin out past SBI. That was a first for me and although nothing landed it was wicked exciting. Blew my mind. I'll settle for one good Tuna day this season :)

12. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Love SBI and of course Talcot, San Mig. Never made it to San Nic or Cortes. Unfortunatly for me, my favorite is the scallops. No hooking or spearing them.
    Happy swimming in the fish store

SnakeCharmer likes this.
  13. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    So I was up at Tom's place off the 395 many years ago. We were fishing for trout in Rock Creek and not having very good luck. I decided to try my luck at the bar and after a few beers a local told me to just go out back behind the restaurant/bar and drop a line in the pond and see what happens. I left and got my rig and returned for some hard core fishing action. I hit my limit (5) in about 20 minutes. Couldn't believe how easy it was. Went back to the campsite and told my buddies and it was on! Everybody was hauling in trout...and then it happened.
    What the F@ck are you assholes doing in the kids pond?
    Those trout are for the kids fishing tournament this Sunday!
    Get the hell out of here!
    Picture 4 guys running away from a crabby old bartender dragging their fishing gear, fish strings, and shame all the way back to camp.
    Trout and eggs for breakfast!

Daddy Dirtbag, konakc, kioti and 8 others like this.
  14. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Used to fly fish the eastern Sierra several times a year. My fishing buddy even got me out float tubing in the San Diego Bay a couple of times. I wasn't too sure about dangling and kicking my finned feet in salt water. I wasn't sure if I was the fisherman or the bait! We caught lots of sand bass, spotted bass and yellowfin croaker. I even caught a few undersized halibut. I must say that it was a real trip to float under the Coronado Bridge and to have views of downtown San Diego. Even got cussed at by the crazy lady who lived on her sailboat right by Tidelands Park. Good times.

My fishing buddy passed away and my desire to fish kind of went with him. It just isn't the same.
    Mtb takes up my time and interest these days.

kioti and Runs with Scissors like this.
  15. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I'm not crazy about chasing Bluefin since they are so touchy but when the Yellowfin arrive in mass, I plan to go out and kill some. I waited until late in the season last year and then I went and boy did we destroy them. I'll look you up when that time comes. Until then, I plan to jump on on some local or island cattleboats. I may do a 3/4 day trip on Thursday to go get the Sand Bass which are a blast to catch on plastics with light tackle. Anyway, here is one of 6 YFT I got on an overnighter trip last Fall fishing just below San Clemente Island.

YFT at SCI.jpg

Luis, kioti, bvader and 3 others like this.
  16. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Talcot Reef, haven't fished there in ages but used to go way back when. San Miguel was wonderful before all the preserve restrictions went into place. San Nic is fabulous because you never know what you'll catch, it's got it all including tuna up shallow during the warm season. Cortez is a haul, been there once and Tanner a few times, too.

dustyyoungblood likes this.
  17. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    I am freshly stocked for the Winter, but can make room to add Yellowfin.

20170620_084058_zps7nbjfo6x.jpg

18. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    "Stocked for the Winter"? ;)

Better get gobbling then because the YFT are swimming up this way right now. :cool:

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  19. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    :Roflmao Classic!

I have a somewhat related story. Up in Mammoth in the 90's on a fishing trip with my grandpa, brother and cousin. We had bad luck the whole trip so one night my cousin and I snuck out to the pond/lake near our condo we had seen the day before that had huge trout in it. Only problem was the pesky "No Fishing" sign. We were in our early teens and my older brother was the mature one in his upper teens (read - he's a dickhead).

Didn't take long for me to get a bite and we pulled in the biggest trout I had ever scene but just as I got it up to the shore flashlights beamed on us, my brother had ratted us out. My grandpa was just mad that we were being punks by sneaking out and stealing a few beers.

To this day we joke that the lake was just named "No Fishing" and so the legend of "Lake No Fishing" lives on. The fish got away :(

20. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    "God grant that I catch a fish so large that even in the telling of it after I shall have no need to lie."

:geek:

DangerDirtyD and Cornholio like this.
  21. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Shark and ray fishing was a bust last night. We fished high slack tide which isn't a great choice but it's what there was to work with. I got one fair bite on my shark rod but the fish didn't stay. However, I discovered something else to do there (Morro Bay) at night. I brought a freshwater bass rod and with a crappie jig head and a little piece of squid pinned on, I proceeded to slay the baby rockfish, lol. I had about a dozen fish for 15 or so casts before we decided to call it a night and head for home base. Baby rockfish to the rescue!

22. I've missed the season this far, but finally on Friday I got offshore.

We found calm seas and water in the mid 70's several miles inside, and several miles south of Cat east end. Fished about a dozen small paddies with no strikes. However, we were seeing visible bull Dorado multiple stops. Having not been out all season I was surprised and happy to see Dorado in the zone we were at. Just circling around between a paddy and the boat. Would have been a great day for spearfishing with No boat traffic.

After hours of that frustration, we moved further SW to The 277 area. At slack tide the zone lit up with fast moving YFT schools and birds to chase. We left for home with a 30lb and 20lb yft taken on cedar plugs. I rember seeing a water temp of 76 in the bite.

23. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Wow, YFT way up there now. Good to know and WTG! :thumbsup:

24. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    It has been too long since an entry was made here, so here goes.

I finally got back out on the water today and it was a fabulous trip. I decided to try a new (to me) sportboat, the Enterprise, out of Pierpoint Landing, next to the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach.

The entire day, from the moment I got out of bed until the moment I got home was unbelievably perfect. :thumbsup:

The alarm went off at 4:15am. I got up and got ready and then headed for 7-11 for a coffee. Nobody in line so I was in and out quickly. Next, I jump on the freeway. I figured the drive down would go smooth and quick and it did. Parking can be an issue at the landing. In fact, parking in Long Beach can be an issue. Not today, unbelievably, there was several designated spaces left in the parking lot. I grabbed my gear and did the short walk to the landing to pay the boat fare. The boat departed at 6am and returned at 4pm (a 3/4 day trip).

This boat is HUGE. With a length of 85 feet and a width of 24 feet across the stern, the 28 anglers for the day would have all the breathing room they needed. Sportboats are often crowded, elbow to elbow. Not today, not on this boat. Big bonus!

The weather was really nice on the water once we cleared the breakwater, just a mild ripple due to the 5mph breeze and a 1-2 foot swell spaced out at about 12 seconds. The breeze would pick up in the afternoon, as usual. The group of anglers was great, too. I hit it off with several of them. The Captain and crew were great, also. The Captain even called me over to fish with him and we slayed 'em side by side.

That leads to the fishing... spectacular. We started on the East Horseshoe Kelp, where barracuda had been biting the past few days. We found them, too. I landed 3 or 4, including some real "logs" (slang for larger sized barracuda). There was also great bass fishing going on and I picked away at a few Calico bass and a Sand bass. When that wore out, we headed out toward the Rigs and anchored up on a few hard bottom areas to target the Sculpin. And they were lickin', too. I must have caught at least a dozen. Once the current picked up, we headed back inside and anchored up on a bass rock, near the barracuda zone. It was like fishing in a fish tank. There was hundreds of bass free swimming in the water. A small live anchovy was an instant hook-up. Guys were getting the bass on plastics,too, as was I. But I wanted one of the bigger bass so I pinned on a large live sardine and flung it out there. I got one nicer sized bass and then a big barracuda. The the barracuda took over and it was exciting again. The surface iron (lightweight swimming jig) was getting all kinds of action and this technique for barracuda is arguably my favorite kind of fishing because it's very exciting when the fish bite. So, I caught another 3 or 4, all big old logs.

When all was said and done, I ended up with the largest fish of the day, and won the cash jackpot. That paid for my fish cleaning tab and it got me a free pass for a future trip. :cool:

My only fear about the day was hitting the traffic on the way back home. Imagine driving up the 710 during rush hour. :eek:

Well today, traffic was very light, all things considered. I got home in just under an hour.

Like I said earlier, this was a perfect day. :D

IMG_5090.JPG

IMG_5095.JPG

IMG_5102.JPG

IMG_5106.JPG

IMG_5112.JPG

45acpguy, DangerDirtyD, UPSed and 3 others like this.
  25. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    DangerDirtyD, SnakeCharmer and kioti like this.
  26. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    My grandson caught his first fish. Rainbow trout. My son said he screamed so loud his mom thought there was something wrong with him.
    received_481718715575158.jpeg

LLPoolJ, Luis, rossage and 6 others like this.
  27. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    He’ll be hooked forever now.

UPSed likes this.
  28. 45acpguy

45acpguy Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer Enduro
    My last gig up in Utah. Big brookies and beautiful natural Rainbows from Posie Lake about 9,000’ above Escalante...

5D2E05CC-0787-48D3-ABA1-1A65985D4EEC.jpeg

0FC1B6AC-D3AC-40C7-A767-DD0E0D9BBC4B.jpeg

04BB7A50-D0DD-49F4-9574-1554277794F3.jpeg

LLPoolJ, MrGreedom, kioti and 4 others like this.
  29. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I jumped on a boat in San Diego last night for my first tuna/exotics fishing trip of the year. The boat was close to full so there was a lot of tangles due to inexperienced fisherman but overall, we did just fine.

The 30 anglers on board ended up with 108 Yellowtail, 3 Dorado, 2 Yellowfin tuna, 2 Bluefin tuna, and 4 Bonito. The weather was perfect. Flat seas, mild breezes, and partial fogginess to keep the temps comfy. I ended up with 6 yellowtail, one of them a solid 25 pounds, the rest were schoolies (6-10 pounds). There was a quit a few of those bigger 25 pound plus models in the mix today. We targeted Kelp paddies for the trip. Near the end of our day, we found a school of mixed tuna that we busting on a bait ball. It was fun to watch fish up to 100 pounds come blasting out of the water to catch the bait. I lost 4 or 5 other Yellowtail due to tangles but I came home with more than enough fresh fish to meet the demands of my friends and family.

IMG_5349.JPG

IMG_5352.JPG

IMG_5362.JPG

IMG_5365.JPG

IMG_5369.JPG

IMG_5374.JPG

IMG_5379.JPG

MolarM, MrGreedom, Danmtchl and 7 others like this.
  30. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Here's a pic of me with my biggest yellowtail yesterday, from the boat's website.

Yellow.jpg

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?