2015 Salsa Spearfish

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews' started by Torrent77, Oct 31, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Torrent77

Torrent77 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Just bought the frame and looking forward to building it up. Anybody have personal or tangential reviews on the bike? I already have a capable all mountain bike and I wanted something that would be long distance climber that can support my weight. It was a toss up between the air 9 and the spearfish, but I figured 80mm of rear travel should save me from choosing the wrong line.

DangerDirtyD, Danmtchl, mike and 4 others like this.
  2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Call me crazy......but aren't you supposed to ask for reviews BEFORE you buy?

3. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC advanced single soee
    I have been eyeing this bike for years. Curious to see how you like it.

Danmtchl, mike and Mikie like this.
  4. Torrent77

Name:
    Dave
    Sure, if you wanted to be "That" guy. :p:p:p

5. Torrent77

Name:
    Dave
    But seriously, if its anything like an AIR 9 with some rear squish then I will be happy. Not 1 bike, other than the FOES, I loved from the beginning. I had to ride it and figure it out to appreciate the nuance of each bike. I hated the tracer for the first 3 months, then understood how to ride it.

6. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Hey! Even with a "Frame"... I expect pictures! We have standards around here yah know! :sneaky::rolleyes:

7. Torrent77

Name:
    Dave
    Its a metallic forest green. I hope I don't lose it in the weeds.
    salsa-spearfish-frameset-copy-199558-13.jpg

8. noLungs

noLungs Member

Name:
    Robert
    Current Bike:
    About to flip a coin
    Aww man that bike is going to be a beauty once built. I am really digging that green!!!

9. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I like the rationale of having a small amount of squish in back to complement your other bike. I just did the same thing, and the Spearfish was one of the front runners, mostly because it's one of few bikes build around a 100mm fork. Ultimately I got a Turner Czar. The fit felt spot on, and I suspect that I am more in between sizes on Salsa bikes.

Build it up with some purposeful parts and ride the hell out of it. I can't imagine you won't love it once you get acquainted. Congrats in advance on your new steed :thumbsup:

Danmtchl, Torrent77, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  10. Torrent77

Name:
    Dave
    So a quick update. I was able to take the bike on turnbull and so far it is a different beast than my tracer.
    I am no expert but here are my first impressions.

First off, the bike is fast, almost road bike fast. A few pedal strokes and the bike is up to cruising speed. This is great, but then I hit my limits on the trail and have to use judicious amounts of braking to reel in the speed. Also, the slacker head angle (69.3 degrees) and 51mm offset fork really makes it nimble, until you hit a switchback and then the 29er wheel flop comes in at low speeds. This is my first 29er so I am still figuring out the ride, but I think its a right in the middle between pure XC and trail categories.

I think I'm going to install bigger rotors for the time being until I learn how to pick lines and learn to use speed to overcome obstacles.

mike, Faust29, Grego and 8 others like this.
  11. noLungs

noLungs Member

Name:
    Robert
    Current Bike:
    About to flip a coin
    Glad to hear things are coming together for you on the bike. The only thing this thread needs now are pics of it completed and dirty!!!

Grego and Danmtchl like this.
  12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Tracer 275 has a 66.5° head angle. Perhaps you meant steeper?

Regardless, glad you like it.

Torrent77 likes this.
  13. Torrent77

Name:
    Dave
    I meant slacker compared to older XC bikes. Newer bikes are sub 69 deg. Older xc bikes tend to be 71 deg.

mike likes this.
  14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Yup - that's very true. My 2007 Yeti 575 was a radical departure with a 67.5° HTA (160mm fork) when most bike manufacturers were reluctant to dip below 70°. 71° was the gold standard of the XC hardtails (26") and even many full sussers from 1992-2005. And even as the 26" trailbikes began to slack out a little, 29ers remained steep. Now the newer full sus 29ers are playing in the 67° range, with proper fork offset to quicken the steering (but making for a really long bike). The Spearfish by comparison is still running a fairly tight HTA, presumably to keep it more nimble. Glad you are digging it.

Faust29, Torrent77 and mike like this.
  15. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    @Torrent77, sounds like it hit a sweet spot for you – nice!! Was piqued to hear your feedback since I was close to going for a Spearfish. Glad it worked for ya.

I'm still assessing the Turner Czar that ended up being my new bike, but I'll bet it's not too dissimilar than the SF. I would not want any different geo than it has. Head angles of the two bikes are similar, and it absolutely works for a 29er trail/marathon platform. I ride everything on it that I've ridden on any bike, albeit not smashing through rough stuff, as you'd expect.

WOOHOOBIKES!!!!

Faust29, Torrent77 and Cyclotourist like this.
  16. Torrent77

Name:
    Dave
  17. Torrent77

Name:
    Dave
    @mike Your welcome to try out my spearfish any time. The bike as it sits feel springy? The PBO spokes on the spinergy wheels makes for a stiff wheel, but the PBO material acts like a dampener which mellows out road vibrations. Also, the salsa engineers added 5mm of seatstay flex to augment the 80mm of rear travel. Bike rides like a stretching bow.

At times I forget what I'm riding and ride it like the tracer.

Faust29 likes this.
  18. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Du-hude, thanks for that really nice offer! :)
    It sounds dreamy for the purpose. IME there's nothing like firm DWL short travel to feel like you can go fast and long over everything. And somehow, hotdogging is more fun on that setup than 6" of VPP (IMO).

19. jimmymats

jimmymats Member

Name:
    James Matsubayashi
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Spearfish.jpg I know this is an older thread I just stumbled upon, but I also happened to take out my 2015 Spearfish yesterday after spending most of my time on my Mojo3 in recent months. I'm always impressed when I jump back on this thing. First of all, it climbs amazingly well. As good as my Mojo3 climbs, it still doesn't touch the 'Fish in this regard. For a short travel bike, it's also quite capable. I've ridden it on Upper and Middle Sam Merrill and some other fairly technical trails, and while I had to slow down compared to when on my trail bike, it handles things surprisingly well. I credit the geo for this. Fun too, popping off small obstacles, etc. Now don't get me wrong, for fun trail rides, or for anything with a little more tech, drops or jumps, I'm still going to reach for the Mojo3. I'm just happy I still have the Spearfish for big endurance rides where climbing is the priority.

20. Torrent77

Name:
    Dave
    @jimmymats What tire size are you running? With all the rain and night riding, it has been my go to bike for the last 3 months. I can't shred on it like my Tracer, but it ticks just about every box for trail fun.

Love that color!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

jimmymats and DangerDirtyD like this.
  21. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Looks like a 2.35 Ikon and a 2.2 Race King

jimmymats and DangerDirtyD like this.
  22. jimmymats

jimmymats Member

Name:
    James Matsubayashi
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Correct, though I have a new Ikon 2.2 I'm going to throw back on soon in place of the Race King.
    @Torrent77 how big are those Nobby Nics and how do you like those on the Spearfish? I typically run light and fast rolling tires on this bike, but have thought about putting on beefier tires just for fun. Perhaps move the 2.35 Ikon to the back and get a 2.4 Ardent for the front.

23. Torrent77

Name:
    Dave
    I love the nobby nics. They roll fast and have excellent grip on a lot of varying surfaces. The rear tire loses traction in a predictable way.

DangerDirtyD and jimmymats like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?