Turnbull canyon...

Discussion in 'Trails' started by Torrent77, Nov 22, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Torrent77

Torrent77 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    I've never been. Where do you park and which trails do you recommend?

MolarM likes this.
  2. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I take 7th Ave. south off SR 60 in Hacienda Heights and park at the Orange Grove middle school (east parking lot along the fields). From there ride west on Orange Grove Avenue and enter the trails at the end of the road. Begin riding south and enter the trail on your right just after you pass a large, rusty corrugated steel pipe lying on the surface.

Once you find the singletrack on your right: If you were on a clock face, you'd be on #9. Ride counterclockwise to climb up the switchbacks to the ridgeline. At this point, look for other riders and ask around or just explore. There are 4 or 5 singletrack spurs off of the fireroad ridgeline, some are down and back up while others will take you to other parts of the Puente Hills.

Mikie, MolarM and Luis like this.
  3. noLungs

noLungs Member

Name:
    Robert
    Current Bike:
    About to flip a coin
    I usually try to find non permitted parking around Greenleaf ave in Whittier, around the old town, then ride north to Beverly, hook a right and catch any dirt entrance up.

4. MolarM

MolarM Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    I like to park off of Painter in uptown Whittier, then Turnbull fireroad to the top. Descend and climb out of that 7th ave loop, cross Turnbull canyon and descend Cow Trail, back up fire road, down A-line and out. Similar to this:

http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=36217&f_sport=1

By the way, I'm an alumni of Orange Grove Jr High '76-'78. - When BMX ruled!!! Rode every trail in that entire formation

Torrent77, Mikie and DangerDirtyD like this.
  5. Squidler4

Squidler4 Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Dan
    My Jr high alma mater also same years then onto Los Altos.

IMG_2789.JPG

Mikie likes this.
  6. Torrent77

Torrent77 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Thanks @blixet for being my guide and for HAB part of the way and not making me feel bad. What an awesome trail. The weather was great and the climb back was in the shade. Can't ask for a better time.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mikie, Luis and pperrelle like this.
  7. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    We had fun and didn't eat dirt . So all in all it was a blast! And thank goodness the mean dog didn't see us until we were almost past.

Mikie, Torrent77 and Luis like this.