Unoffically Official 2017 VQ and CC Thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by DBMX119, Nov 5, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Added to Calendar: 04-07-18
  1. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    I'm in...... Are you?

I'm looking forward to it being back in the spring and the long training days in the Santa Ana's that lay ahead.

2. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Yes, for CC! I have a long road ahead of me to train for it. I was only charged $105 but it was supposed to be $115. :cautious:

And I was trying to register so fast, not knowing if I had a spot until done with it, I put my own name down as my emergency contact. :confused:

Faust29, HBkites, DBMX119 and 4 others like this.
  3. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    CC.. should be epic... done the blackstar/motorway, Maple Springs to the Peak, Holy Jim... but now gotta do it all in one day...um.mm.. no refunds...
    "should we do CC?"
    "Yeah. Let's do it. You not getting any younger."
    So true...

Diytypeofguy, bvader, kioti and 4 others like this.
  4. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    In for VQ.
    It has been on my bucket list since 2009.
    I have done the last 2 CC. It was the only logical step.

kioti, DBMX119, Cougar and 3 others like this.
  5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    First time... VQ.

The bad part is I'm probably in good enough shape to do it now. Who knows what I'll be like in April. o_O:gag:

6. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Question: Is the "Unoffically Official 2017 VQ and CC Thread" the same as the VQ and CC thread?
    Can we combined these if it makes sense?

HBkites and mtnbikej like this.
  7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Yes, please do

Mikie likes this.
  8. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    I just made a new one for this year so we didn't end up with topics that are 18 pages deep from years of posts. I've always thought it was easier to search, read, etc.

Mods feel free to combine if you disagree. No biggie to me.

Mikie, HBkites and kioti like this.
  9. HBkites

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    It might make sense to lock the other one (if it is an option), and use this one for next year's event.

Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  10. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Thank you Fine Gentlemen! I will lock the other and we will utilize this one for this year. I will place a refernce to this one for 2017. :thumbsup:

DangerDirtyD and kioti like this.
  11. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    What are some of the favorable tire choices for VQ/CC? I am used to Minions and heavier tires for my usual riding but plan on putting something more XC on my RIP9. I debated riding my Stumpy HT for CC but I am going with my RIP9 that has 29mm internal rims and with my current Maxxis tomahawk front and minion ss rear weighs in around 28lbs. Would a 2.35 ikon front and 2.2 ikon rear be decent? Would like to stay as wide as possible but lower weight than Minions etc.

*disclaimer - being my first CC and having done only max 30 mile mtn bike rides I am going to have a lot of questions so please bear with me. :geek:

mtnbikej, Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  12. Makoto

Makoto Member

Name:
    Mike
    I'm not your typical CC rider as I have ridden it on my 160mm trail bike a few times. That being said, I like a fast rolling tire on the back a la Maxxis Ignitor or Specialized Captain Control and something with a bit more traction up front a la Schwalbe Hans Dampf. Tires are so personal, so you will likely get a wide array of recommendations. I enjoy ripping down Motorway and the Holy Jim's, so I rode a Control or EXO casing rear tire and the Snake Skin up front to help w/ punctures and sidewall tears...where I know a lot of riders prefer XC casings to reduce rotating mass. Enjoy your training.

Unfortunately, I was out on my bike during registration last Saturday and realized it at 12:18pm and figured it was already sold out. I guess I will have to find another event to train for!

13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Minions and your RIP9 are not the tools for this ride.

Honestly....since you are not going to be doing Trabuco Trail....I'd run the HT.

Motorway and Holy Jim and perfect for the HT....plus you will be faster/more efficient on the climbs....which if you haven't already realized it, there is a lot of it.

Go with a faster rolling tire on the rear. I have run 2.2 Ikons, 2.1 WTB Nano's, and 2.1 SB8. Because you are doing so much climbing...this is where I tend to put the emphasis on the setup.

When I did it in 2014 I ran a Ardent 2.25 up front and 2.2 Ikon on the back....both EXO/TR. Fast rolling, good traction, tolerable weight.....on 1700g Crank Bros Cobalt Carbons.

I do not recommend light, thin walled tires.

It is really gonna depend on how Main Divide is.....it could be smooth and hard packed.....or it could be loose and marbley. You will have a better idea as it gets closer. That is also what the training rides are for....to figure all this out.

14. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Thanks guys. I definitely know tires are personal so I think I will just have to start shopping for some to try. A colleague of mine is also doing CC so we are planning on hitting the Santa Anas together which will give me plenty of time out there for testing.

I should have mentioned that my HT needs a new drivetrain and I was planning on going 1x10 on it but now I may stick with 2X10 if I chose to ride it. It weighs in under 25lbs currently so not a huge weight difference from my RIP since that is all plastic but better for the climbs. Some of the components on my HT are weak compared to my FS, like Magura MTS brakes on my HT versus XTR on my FS so if I go with the HT I may have to spend some coin on it.

Gonna start with some rides up black star and venture past the ball to see how that goes, definitely understand that it's on me to get dialed in during the training.

@Makoto Are both events sold out? Still looks like you can register from the site.

mtnbikej, Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  15. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

Ride which ever bike you are more confident on. I just base it on the ride itself.

Let's say you are shooting for a 6 hr CC time(for example)....

You are going to spend 5 hrs climbing and only 1 hr descending.....and most of us can descend without thinking too much about it.

I'd recommend trying both setups and see which one work best. Having spent as much time out there as I have on a multitude of bikes over the years.....I think the HT is the better tool(at least for me).

I would get used to Blackstar up to Hagador Peak(1st set of towers past the Doplar Ball) as soon as you can....This is going to be the hardest part of Blackstar/Motorway loop.

Cornholio likes this.
  16. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I was at the 12 Hours of Temecula, and didn't get registered until after 4:00... Are they sold out yet?

The registration page is still active.

mtnbikej likes this.
  17. HBkites

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    In 2014 I used my Giant Anthem Adv 0 (XC/FS) because it was the only real bike I had. As I recall I used 2.2" tires (Saguaros), and never felt that I needed wider tires.
    In 2016 I opted to use my HT, and I believe it was the right choice for me (I was 32 minutes faster). I had an old XR1 2.2 on the back, and a new 2.2 Icon on the front.
    The icon was a last week before the event switch form a 2.4 Ardent. I didn't need the Ardent.

Like J said, it is all about the climbing. Find what gets you quicker to the top, and work around it.

My biggest issue was my grips. I had numbness in both hands going down HJ. I'm planning to try a few different options before April 8th.

Faust29, mtnbikej and Cornholio like this.
  18. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I have a few go-to tires for riding up there... And everywhere else. The Ikons are always good, and I was even running the 2.2 up front and it wasn't bad. I'm currently running a Racing Ralph in 2.35 and I don't really find it any better than the Ikon, even though the nobs are more pronounced. In the rear, I like fast. Race King or X-King...

All of the above in the protection/exo/snakeskin versions set up tubeless.

My "meat" tire of choice for the front is the Mountain King, but I won't use it up there... No need to carry that much weight around. It would be nice to have on Motorway, Holy Jim, and Trabuco, but it's not worth it. I would lose a lot more on the climbs than I would gain on the descents. And most of the day will be spent climbing...

The distance and elevation numbers only tell part of the story in my opinion. Long sustained climbs are a different animal than climbs in the local parks. As J says, getting really used to Black Star to Hagador is important, as is Maple Springs to Modjeska. I'm considering a Black Star-Motorway-Maple Springs-Holy Jim ride either this weekend or next. Basically, I want to ride the course up to the West Horsethief HAB and see how I do right now. :sick: Maybe I'll throw it out to the group...

There is a Black Star- Motorway ride tomorrow night... :thumbsup:

19. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I need another light ASAP for night rides and with my sons 1st bday party on Saturday I am waiting to start training on Monday (got the day off).

Training ride #1 - Black Star to Hagador

I did BS to Sierra peak this summer no problem so hopefully I am not too far off that fitness level. My first goal is to lose 10lbs so eating better and reducing barley pop intake.

Thanks again for any and all info, suggestions, ribbings, etc. Hopefully I will be replying to this thread with training recaps rather than posting in the "I didn't ride my bike today" thread.

bvader, mtnbikej and Faust29 like this.
  20. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Let's do it the weekend after this.....I have already committed to Non Dot Casper's support.

Cougar and Faust29 like this.
  21. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    BS/Sierra is a good ride.....but will seem like child's play when you start heading the other direction on Main Divide.....it didn't get the nickname "Pain Divide" for being flat and easy.

22. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Im gonna do counting coup.. On a pivot 429 trail..not the best bike for climbing but other choice is kona carbon hei hei.. 2 x10.. Both weigh about same.. I just want to finish.. Comfort vs faster climber..umm..

Cornholio and Faust29 like this.
  23. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I was going to let him find that out on his own. :whistling:

Cornholio and mtnbikej like this.
  24. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Sounds good... Maybe it will be cooler and I can get away doing it unsupported with the Camelbak.

Strava says 42 miles and 9000 feet to the base of Horsethief.

I saw the sign... IMG_2065.JPG

HBkites and mtnbikej like this.
  25. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Plus the ride back to the start..... :sneaky::thumbsup:;)

I may stash some water at bottom of Motorway.

Faust29 likes this.
  26. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Yo Corn.... You are right were you should be a little nervous, excited and asking questions.
    J Speaks the Truth even when he forgets that some of us are mere mortals MTBers, often there needs to be a J coefficient or translation.
    (Per Faust From Here On Shall be Known as "The J-Factor")

Let Me Translate a bit for you (Multi CC Rider, FS , SS HT)

J : "Motorway and Holy Jim and perfect for the HT."
    Translate : After you ride them a few times you will be fine on a HT, first time or two they will get your attention especially if you are tired after the long climbs. Oh and unless you are an expert descender you will be HABing down a few sections of UHJ, thats OK. Motorway, UHJ, LHJ each have their own personality.

J: Lots on Tires :
    Translate : You are going to need to ride a few combos, but leans towards a decent rolling rear and whatever meat you need for the 2 big descents and potentially loose Main D, Me with the 29 HT I still like some decent meat up front, like a Nobby Nic, Ardent etc. 2.25-2.3 should do ya. Depends on your skill and risk quotient. Jay is an expert, he tends to ride a bit leaner on the tires.

J: I do not recommend light, thin walled tires.
    Translate : Amen, No Translation Needed, lots of Sharps on Motorway, especially if you are a "heavy style" rider.

J: I would get used to Blackstar up to Hagador Peak...this is going to be the hardest part of Blackstar/Motorway loop.
    Translate : B* to Hagador softens you up for the endless steep up-downs for the next 6 miles to Motorway.

I would also 2nd Faust, long climbs are a lot different that the local stuff especially when it comes to the 2nd on MS, what, when how you hydrate and nutrition is really important can make or break your day. Start thinking about that.

Finally I will add my extra thought, I hear about comfort etc. I think the thing that changed all the comfort and pain for me was also getting in the gym to work my Core (front and back), Legs and Shoulders and stretching. Core 3 Days a week if you can. Makes a world of difference. I worked all 3 pretty hard up to about a month before then reduced legs but keep on the Core and Shoulders. Set me PR and was ready for a big ride the next week.

Our coach in Whistler said : Everything about riding is bad for your posture and your core and your flexibility , but we love it, so we must work to counter it in the Gym and Mind (meaning think about your posture when standing, walking & sitting).

Ohh and Enjoy the training its fun!

HBkites, shawndoh, Makoto and 4 others like this.
  27. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    bvader brings up a great point... Other than the "J factor". :p Working the core is important. Even if you can't hit the gym, plain old sit ups and pushups make long saddle days go a lot easier... When I'm starting to feel weak on the long "J days", that's the quickest way to bounce back. Work the core...

Edit: @bvader - I forgot to add that the Upper Holy Jim trail wasn't part of the course at VQ a couple weeks ago, and it's not listed in the course description for the next one. For me, that's a good thing. It was in really rough shape the last time I went down it, and it'd be a HAB for me!

28. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Thanks for that informative post, @bvader! I have ridden Holy Jim on my HT, but only the lower part and not after 30+ miles and 8k of climbing. I am thinking that I am going to see how some longer rides go on my RIP and decide if I want to go for it on my HT which will need work/parts.

I know I have it in me, I've always been an athlete and playing sports like ice hockey definitely test your stamina but in a completely different way. A big hurdle I have to keep in my sights is my health, my autoimmune disease can hinder my training so I am going to try and keep that in check along with all the other things to worry about. That being said, I am in no way shape or form going to blame any kind of failure on arthritis. Riding bikes and being healthy helps my condition so no excuses!

Oh, and I loathe the gym so going back to lunges, planking etc in my garage as some extra core focus.

kioti, mtnbikej, bvader and 1 other person like this.
  29. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

62604812.jpg

30. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike: