Who's Riding Where???

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by UPSed, Sep 15, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Hey, who is riding where this weekend?:thumbsup:

Mikie likes this.
  2. NewEnglander

NewEnglander Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Cannondale Scalpel
    I'm new to the area and was looking to ride this weekend. Let me know where and when folks are heading out. Thanks. I'm in San Pedro and have a Homda element with a rack for 4 bikes if that helps.

Faust29, DangerDirtyD, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    @Cougar and I are doing a two-park techy slog tomorrow (Saturday 9-17). Aliso and Wood Canyon to Laguna Coast Wilderness Park and back. Gonna climb Cholla, drop Stairs, climb Willow, hit missing link and Fenceline, drop Rattlesnake, climb I Think I Can, hit Missing Link /Fenceline again, drop Lizard, climb Laurel, drop Camarillo, Stagecoach, push up Stairs, Drop Rock-It and collapse. Big ride for me - close to 4000' of steep climbing - and a fair bit of tech on Stairs and Rattlesnake.

4. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Dayum!

herzalot and Mikie like this.
  5. NewEnglander

NewEnglander Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Cannondale Scalpel
    Sounds like fun. What time and where r I meeting. I'm open all day. I usually wake up well before sunrise.

Mikie and DangerDirtyD like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    DangerDirtyD and Mikie like this.
  7. NewEnglander

NewEnglander Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Cannondale Scalpel
    Hmm. I don't own pads and I only have 4 inches of travel on this bike. If there are big drops over 1 or 2 feet then I may look to do something else or just walk the big stuff. Let me know what you think. C u in the AM.

DangerDirtyD and Mikie like this.
  8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    A Scalpel would qualify as bringing a knife to a gun fight, but everything is roll-able. There are no forced drops. You could do these runs on a spindly hardtail xc race machine - you wouldn't want to, and you might not be comfortable, but it's been done. There are three long fireroad climbs which you and the Scalpel would crush (Willow, I think I Can and Upper Laurel). There are two descents that would be iffy on a steep-angled, short-travel bike (Stairs and Rattlesnake), and three descents that would be fine (Lizard, Camarillo and Rock-It).

Here's a picture of me pushing up Stair Steps Trail:
    Hiking Stair Steps.jpg

PM'd my cell number.

9. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    You could do Stairsteps on a steel hardtail... Once. :whistling:

R.I.P. el Mariachi. You went too soon.

10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Stairsteps is fine on a HT....let alone a 4" FS rig.

Rattlesnake is the same.

They both have some tricky spots, but they are 100% rideable on a XC rig.

Tom the Bomb, DangerDirtyD and Mikie like this.
  11. NewEnglander

NewEnglander Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Cannondale Scalpel
    Sounds good. tks

Tom the Bomb and Mikie like this.
  12. NewEnglander

NewEnglander Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Cannondale Scalpel
    It'll be interesting. I'm at the p lot now. Blue Element. 413-441-6896.

Tom the Bomb, pperrelle and Mikie like this.
  13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    A bit early! I haven't even left my house.

See you soon.

14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    So yeah, we did that. well, sort of. Mike (@NewEnglander ) was the climbing stud I expected. Scalpel 29 with Bontrager XR3 says "I am here to climb" and since the climb to descend ratio on this ride was about 500:1, I figured he would be dialed. Poor Mike spent all day waiting for @Cougar and me.

I actually had a fair day of climbing - I kept it easy early on so I had a chance of having some legs to finish on. Stair Steps was fun (on the way down) although it was populated with riders going slower than I wanted to go. Over to Willow and I kept it easy to save some legs. Ran into an old friend on Missing Link. No, literally. I was coming round a bush with my bell a jingling, and I collided with a guy coming the other direction. After untangling our handlebars, he said, "Weren't you the Principal at FVHS?" He was wearing a name badge and some form of official park jersey. We reminisced a bit, then continued on our ways.

Nice run down Rattlesnake. Mike had a big smile at the bottom of that one. Then the slog over and up I Think I Can and Moro Ridge back to Fenceline and Missing Link. Beautiful scenery at the top of the park - and I am referring to some dude's girlfriend who was posing (not naked like the other ride report). Wowza! No collisions this time on ML/FL and off we went down Lizard. Fun as always. Then the climb up Upper Laurel. At the top, under the 73 bridge, I was telling Mike "I don't think this is a 4000' ride - my legs aren't near as tired as the should be." @Cougar came up and had a different story. He was spent.

Down Camarillo - and no I didn't even try to clean my nemesis corner. :oops: The rest of it was good though. Craig cleaned it. At the junction of Stagecoach, Craig said he's bailing out to Laguna Canyon Road to begin the hike up Stair Steps. Mike and I continued on Stagecoach - I even cleaned the two punch-in-the-gut climbs. I did lose my front wheel off the side of the trail on a berm that collapsed which sent me unceremoniously to the ground.

And, out of deference to the crap I got on this forum last time, I walked the little section that says to walk, even though the fence had been blown up. Wow - pushing my bike up that little section was really hard actually. Uh oh - pushing up Stairs is going to hurt.

Although I was not cramping, I realized as I was trying to climb Philips road that my energy was gone. I started pushing. Mike rode up it all the way to the trail. I found @Cougar lying on the trail on the waterfall section, completely gassed. We both bonked on the hike-a-bike up Stair Steps. I could only push my bike about ten steps at a time, then stop and rest. I think it took about 45 mins to get to the top. Craig just plain had to sit or lie down and rest on several occasions. No cramps, just plain ol' energy failure (bonk).

We did manage to complete the ride down Rock-It and pedal out without further incidence. Craig was pretty quick, despite the prior problems.

Nice to meet Mike - he was very strong and exceedingly patient. I believe he was headed to Salt Creek to go dip in the ocean before driving back to San Pedro.
    Mike and Me 9-17-16.JPG
    @NewEnglander with the funny looking strut where a fork should be, and me, with a funny looking green fork. This is at Stagecoach where Craig bid Adieu - temporarily.

My data says 27.7 miles. 3960' (so close, DAMMMMIT!!!) and 2443 calories burned (that explains a lot :confused:). 5:15.

15. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Sounds like @NewEnglander might like a little jaunt in the mountains! :thumbsup:

16. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    Bonk was the word of the day FOR SURE. A ride like that shouldn't have bonked me; my B*->Motorway 9 days ago was harder stats than that and I had a little more in the tank after that ride.

That being said, I have started a new job, and I know (in retrospect) that my hydration has gone down. I tend not to drink as much when I have a 1:40 commute and don't really want to stop off to go pee exiting in random locations off the freeway. I forgot to put sunscreen on before we set out was another possible difference that might have zapped me prematurely. But I still need to figure out why I bonked so hard :|

I made it home, drank a protein drink, hopped in the shower, and then immediately proceeded to lie in bed for an hour and a half. Bonk, bonk, bonkers. I even went through two bottles (worth in my camelback) of Tailwind on the ride - that's probably the only thing that saved me from cramping up.

That's not to say I didn't enjoy myself, it was a bit more of a sufferfest than it should have/could have been. But I liked hitting all of that tech (I called it "Two Park Tech"), even if my new cleats were making me a bit skittish on the downs. I need more practice with stairsteps, but I liked not being right on Chris' wheel on Rattlesnake (I was sweeping), so I had to pick my own lines for once there.

@NewEnglander was a beast, and I wish Chris and I hadn't bonked so we could have finished that ride a bit faster - but some days are bad days. It happens to all of us :) Thanks for coming out!

17. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SOunds like you guys have a bit of a rough day out there. I agree....hiking up Stairsteps is not fun. It doesn't get easier, just gets more tolerable....but it does zap the legs.

Tailwind should be 2 scoops per hour minimum....in the heat a bit more. Unless you are substituting other foods in for energy.

OR

You just had a bad day....been there.

Glad you had fun.

18. NewEnglander

NewEnglander Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Cannondale Scalpel
    Love the mountains. We don't ride jeep/fire trail where I'm from so that was different. Hoping to find some places with interesting ups and downs.

19. NewEnglander

NewEnglander Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Cannondale Scalpel
    Great fun guys. Thanks again for showing me around the parks. Looking forward to cleaning everything next time now that I know where stuff is. I was definitely spent at the end of the ride but not enough to skip boogie boarding at Salt Creek beach. Great call Herzalot. Followed that up with a poke bowl of sushi and called it a fine day.

20. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Sounds like you're adjusting to the California lifestyle just fine!

Tom the Bomb, pperrelle and Mikie like this.
  21. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    We tend to have a lot of "up" to get to the downs in the mountains and they are more remote... And more long sustained climbs than at the lower elevations. But the downs are worth it. I would hit YouTube for The Luge, Santiago Truck Trail, Holy Jim, Trabuco, San Juan, Silverado Motorway... Even Main Divide is interesting in spots.

All in our Santa Anas... :thumbsup:

22. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

And the best part is we can do a bunch of them in one ride. :whistling::sneaky:

23. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Sounds like you had a mostly good ride guys. Good choice of ride guides, Mike.

Once upon a time a big slice of cherry pie at Marie Callenders in Valencia totally cured a bonk on an out-and-back from Burbank. Good to have something stashed like pb+j when the hi-tech stuff stops cutting it.

24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    A PB and J would have been far more effective than the plastic Clif Blocks.

25. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Before I became hooked on mountain biker crack (Tailwind), I was experimenting with PB&J and apple slices... They worked very well for the distances you're riding.

The Apple slices were taken every 15-20 minutes.

The plastic shots never worked right for me...

26. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Take a roast beef sandwich. You'd be surprised at how many friends you have when you whip out the roast beef.

27. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I'm only falling for that if there's horseradish.

And I'll take mine on weck... It's a Buffalo thing. :thumbsup:

28. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I salivated as I read...

A beef on weck (also known as beef on wick) is a sandwich found primarily in Western New York.[1][2][3] It is made with roast beefon a kummelweck roll. The meat on the sandwich is traditionally served rare, thin cut, with the top bun getting a dip au jus and topped with horseradish.

The kummelweck roll gives the sandwich its name and a distinctive taste. A kummelweck (sometimes spelled "kimmelweck" or "kümmelweck") is topped with kosher salt and caraway seeds. Kümmel is the German word for caraway, and weck means "roll" in the south-western German dialects of the Baden and Swabia areas (northern Germans generally say Brötchen), although the kind of weck used for this sandwich in America tends to be much softer and fluffier than a standard German Kümmelbrötchen or Kümmelweck.[2] In Austria, a similar type of small white-bread is known as Kümmelweckerl (diminutive from Wecken, which refers to a whole big bread, i.e. Brotwecken).

29. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I actually had a good day and felt strong right up until I didn't. I didn't struggle on any climb until Philips road up to Stair Steps. Just lost my energy suddenly and almost completely.

30. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    More me than you then :)

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?