Visiting OC Sept 9 looking for trails to hit

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Unbreakable, Aug 22, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Unbreakable

Unbreakable Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Bill
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy FSR Comp
    Hi,
    I am going to be staying in Irvine on business Sept 12-16 and thought I would arrive a few days early to hit some trails on the 9-11
    The only bike shop I am familiar with is the Path in Tustin, I've stopped in to purchase some gear in the past
    Any suggestions on trails to ride would be great. Instead of brining my bike I might just rent one from the Path.I am coming from Austin where there is a lot of rock and technical stuff. If anyone is riding that weekend I would be thrilled to meet up
    Thank you

2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Hey @Unbreakable,
    Thanks for coming to imtbtrails in search of some good trails. A lot of great guys here...
    Welcome!

Mikie of Frazier Park

Unbreakable likes this.
  3. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Welcome @Unbreakable !

Irvine is pretty close to just about anything you could want... You have the local county parks within a short drive, like Whiting Ranch, Aliso and Wood Canyon, Santiago Oaks. You can also do a Whiting- Santiago Truck Trail- Luge loop. There are reports on the forum for that route, and if you search YouTube for "the Luge mountain bike", you'll find video of the run. Whiting is pretty tame, but Aliso ranges from tame to pretty technical, as does Santiago Oaks. They are also pretty crowded on the weekends. We have several guys on here who ride there frequently, and I'm sure they'll chime in with recommendations. They're a friendly bunch.

If you want to get more remote, there's nothing like a jaunt in the Santa Anas, but the climbing to get anywhere is a lot more strenuous. 3000-4000 is pretty much the minimum to get to any good stuff, like Holy Jim Trail, Trabuco Trail, San Juan Trail, etc... Again, a YouTube search for the trails will yield many results.

DangerDirtyD, Unbreakable and Mikie like this.
  4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Are you Kimmy Schmidt? Never mind - lost reference on non viewers....

We don't have any trails here in the OC. Certainly none with rocks on them.

OK, I lied. I am sure I will be riding that weekend somewhere around Aliso and Wood Canyon, Laguna Coast Wilderness Park or Whiting and the Santiago Truck Trail (STT). We could grab some other rock'sters and make a small party of it. Let us know, Austin Bill.

I suggest you demo the new Intense Recluse. I saw a large at The Path, I think.

5. Unbreakable

Name:
    Bill
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy FSR Comp
    Appreciate the suggestions. I just got back from Whistler and was using a Santa Cruz V10 for the downhill. Now back to trail riding. I was thinking of doing Mammoth or Big Bear but don't have the time for that right now. I will continue to check in and hopefully meet up with a few riders. Calling The Path today to find out what they will have available and put a deposit down.

6. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    I've actually done the opposite, I'm from here but traveled to Austin and rode there once. I did both Emma Long and Walnut Creek. We don't really have anything like Walnut Creek here, but the chunkiness of Emma Long you can absolutely find (usually as a part of a downhill though, not as flat/up-and-down as Emma Long though). Regardless, if you came back from Whistler, you'll be fine with what OC has to offer you (as long as you are willing to do long sustained climbs).

DangerDirtyD, Unbreakable and Mikie like this.
  7. Can't beat a couple loops at Aliso/Wood Canyon.

8. Unbreakable

Name:
    Bill
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy FSR Comp
    I watched a couple videos of The Luge and I was out of breath just watching the climb. I think I am going to do that on Saturday morning Sept 10. If anyone is riding it that day or nearby hit me up. Thanks

9. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Welcome unbreakable.
    If your going to go to Old camp, ride the Luge and/or Whiting, get your bike from the Path on Live oak. It is only a mile or so from the entrance to those trails. Much better than the 15 mile drive from Tustin.
    If you talk to them in advance they'll bring whatever bike you like, ( that they have) to that shop for you.

Aliso is good, Santiago Oaks is good too.
    I've ridden barton flats in Austin, only trail I found well there. It was fun and much different that riding here in OC.
    If your doing Whiting/luge on the 10th I might join Ya. It's my home trail and ride it often. ( OK, only trails I've ridden the last couple months...)

On a side note, for whatever reason Whiting has received a major haircut. Trimmed back a lot of foliage and removed some fun rocks that I'd pop off.
    Don't know why, but didn't make me happy. Hope it's not to pave 'em!

Unbreakable, Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  10. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Good Choice... The Luge is a "must do" around here.

The Luge is very popular on a Saturday morning. Someone will be there... I may ride over and join. :thumbsup: As Danimal says, the Path Live Oak is in the neighborhood, and they'll help you out. Good guys in there... If you're looking just for a Luge loop, you can park at the far end of the parking lot at Cook's Corner. This gives a nice 7.5 mile loop with about 1400 feet of gain. The worst climb is actually on the Modjeska Grade Road before you turn off to Santiago Truck Trail.

If you're looking for a little more, a lot of guys like to do the Luge by starting in Whiting Ranch, which is easily accessible from the 241 from Irvine. Quick on and quick off... That ride puts it more in the 20/3000 range, but you could add on the Cactus Hill Trail after the Luge. That's another fun little downhill, if it's not swamped with hikers.

Check in as your date gets closer... Someone will join you. :thumbsup:

Unbreakable and DangerDirtyD like this.
  11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I would be more than happy to join you for a Luge run, provided I get my rear wheel back by then. BTW, the climb is relatively gentle - this coming from a guy who really doesn't like to climb. If you are in shape to ride about 2000' of climbing, you really can't beat a Whiting-Luge-Whiting run. The ending romp through Whiting is a mildly downhill, non-technical, twisty, turny, dippy, speedy singletrack hoot! :cool: And, if you start from Wahoos, you end at the restaurant and can immediately refuel your tank while reliving your morning with your riding buds!:thumbsup:

12. Unbreakable

Name:
    Bill
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy FSR Comp
    Thoughts on Santa Cruz Hightower 27.5+ for the above trails?? I am use to a 29er but would really like to see what this Hightower is like since I've heard so much about them.

Mikie likes this.
  13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Perfection!

On the slight chance that the big tires slow you down climbing, I could use the company.

14. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Interested...

Mikie and Unbreakable like this.
  15. Unbreakable

Name:
    Bill
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy FSR Comp
    Got the bike reserved and no doubt I will be slow on the climb.

Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  16. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I know there's at least one guy in that shop who rides that bike and absolutely loves it...

Me too! :thumbsup:

17. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    So do you think you can manage the whole Whiting-Luge-Whiting run? It's about 16 miles and 2400' of climbing. Takes most mortals 2 1/2 hours. 3 if there's socialization and/or equipment tending. 'Tis but a warm-up lap for @mtnbikej and @Faust29 ...

18. Unbreakable

Name:
    Bill
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy FSR Comp
    I've watched a dozen videos and The Path was really cool at explaining the trail to me. I'm not a quitter and certainly won't be upfront, definitely up for the challenge.

Mikie and herzalot like this.
  19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Sweet - now fingers crossed that my wheel gets to Big Flats, gets a new hub laced onto it, gets sent back and into my grubby little hands by Thursday. I have a high school football game to attend on Friday night, then it appears we are game-on for Saturday morning Wahoos-Whiting-STT-Luge-Whiting-Wahoos ride and lunch.

Roll call. And no, I am not posting this in trailhead. If you are too lazy or unfriendly that you didn't see this thread, too bad for you! Moreover, there's a 47% chance I will not be attending, since I am relying on a major part arriving in time. My back-up bike would not be appropriate.

20. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    paging @Unbreakable Are we on for this? @StrandLeper offered to lend me a wheel. Actually, he offered the whole bike, but I just wanna ride my bike, so the wheel will suffice. What a guy!!!

21. Unbreakable

Name:
    Bill
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy FSR Comp

That's awful nice of @StrandLeper to lend you a wheel and whole bike. Yes, still on Saturday morning Sept 10. Just need to know what time to meet and location.

Mikie, herzalot and Faust29 like this.
  22. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I will be there, barring any unforeseen calamities.

Sasquatch9billion, Mikie and herzalot like this.
  23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Like a fire that takes out a ton of popular trails?

24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I'm in no hurry, and Whiting will be crowded from 7am-10am no matter what, so I am thinking 8am meet time. Wahoos parking lot (actually further down where all the other riders are parked), Glenn Ranch road and Portola in Foothill Ranch.

Sasquatch9billion and Mikie like this.
  25. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Your marine layer made it this far inland today, so I'm really hoping that the firefighters had a good night... It almost looked like june gloom when I got up at 5:00. :thumbsup:

Sasquatch9billion, Mikie and herzalot like this.
  26. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    I haven't done Whiting-Luge-whiting in years. Damn, it should be fun. I'd jump in but my wife got tickets to some cheesy music festival that day ( !!! is the only decent band playing,) Judging from what I've ridden in ATX that's a lot of climbing-have fun guys!

Mikie, herzalot and Unbreakable like this.
  27. Unbreakable

Name:
    Bill
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy FSR Comp
    This climbing is starting to be a concern, maybe I should rent an E- Bike instead. J/K

herzalot, Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  28. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    1.) If I do it regularly, that means the climbing isn't very demanding.
    2.) I was a week ahead. This is happening next Saturday, September 10.
    3.) I now have a wheel, albeit a borrowed one. Thanks @StrandLeper !

Mikie likes this.
  29. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Bummer.....have trail work to do that day.

Mikie likes this.
  30. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    herzalot likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?