Maxxis Aggressor

Discussion in 'Maxxis Tires' started by moto knight, Mar 15, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    For general trail use probably the 60tpi is fine. That's their regular EXO casing. The 120tpi is their new Double Down casing which is quite a bit heavier. But if you tend to slash sidewalls or poke holes in tread, DD might be right for you.

Mikie, wc_surveyor and Danmtchl like this.
  2. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    Add me to the list of the cool kids club!
    20160609_120932_zpsvbfbuj69.jpg

Just got one to replace my rear with a shredded sidewall. But If I like it I'll get another. Props to JensonUSA that got this to me with free standard shipping faster than my derailleur hanger I ordered from amazon with 1-day shipping.

Fueledbyex8, herzalot, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  3. wc_surveyor

wc_surveyor Member

Name:
    Dean
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem SX
    Thanks for clarifying.

Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  4. riiz

riiz Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Heckler/Killmaleon
    Yes, the 60tpi is the lighter, more general trail use model. The 120tpi models have the DD casing which is like a hybridized downhill casing, is a lot heavier built for single-crown DH racing, aka Enduro.

Danmtchl, MrGreedom and Mikie like this.
  5. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    Retaped my rear wheel over the weekend and put an Aggressor on the rim. Tight fit getting on at first but it seated easily with a floor pump. No weird seepage anywhere yet like the Ikon I put on the back of my 29er a couple of weeks ago. That one had little pinhole leaks in the sidewalls. I think they have finally sealed. Back to the Aggressor; I replaced a moderately worn DHR II that was a fine tire on the back of my Bronson. No complaints about that tire other than some little tiger stripe Stan's seepage that had started to occur the last few months.

I put the new tire through the paces this morning on a good, fast, grippy trail ride that had a mixture of trail conditions and by the end of the ride I had completely forgotten about the rear tire. It did everything asked of it with no complaint. Rolls well, holds on tight corners, didn't sideslip snapping off a big off the lip that I usually manage to break the tail free on (surf lingo don't ya know). Hard to think of what more I could ask. All for $52 bucks. I likee.

Faust29, ~JB~, Old&InTheWay and 13 others like this.
  6. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    I have the following Aggressor Tires for sale:
    29 x 2.5 EXO TR Aggressor, New, never used, $50
    29 x 2.3 EXO TR Aggressor, two rides, a tiny pinch hole near rim bead, fine with tube $25

Tires are in Santa Clarita. $70 for both
    Text me at (nine 0 1) four zero 9 - four 4 9 eight
    Tony

7. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    More fuel to the fire... I used to swear by the DHR II as my one and only rear tire. I always had sort of a weird feeling with it however where I'd feel like the casing was flexing and I'd have that momentary "do I have a flat" feeling. This always ended with me running a few psi more then I needed just to get rid of the squidgy casing.

I've since swapped to the 29x2.3 exo/tr aggressor and haven't looked back. The aggressor rolls noticably faster and imo, has just as much grip in the corners but gives up a tiny bit on the brakes to the sand paddle dhr II. The only reason I'm jumping back in this thread and posting again is that the Nomad demo I'm on has a 2.4 DHR 2 on it and I'm reminded how I don't really get along with this tire.

Maybe I'm getting old and this is the start of my XC golden years. :p

Faust29, moto knight, ~JB~ and 6 others like this.
  8. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    So... it appears we can all agree that the Aggressor is a superior rear tire. BUT... has anyone of yous' tried it as a front?:unsure::thumbsdown::stop::thumbsup::unsure::(

Faust29, DangerDirtyD and Mikie like this.
  9. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    I've been tempted but I've also been too chicken. Who's gonna guinnea pig this? I'm about due for a new one in back, maybe I'll mount the new one up as my front tire for a ride before I toss the old rear.

10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

It really doesn’t look too different than the Rekon WT 2.4 that has been given rave reviews by those of us running them up front.

I wouldn’t hesitate to run it up front.

Redman, Faust29, moto knight and 2 others like this.
  11. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Yes, I have had them on both the front and rear, currently a rear on the Devinci and a front on the Kona. I have not have no issues with grip especially with it on the front. I think these are a great all around tire.

UPSed, mtnbikej, Redman and 2 others like this.