"E mtn bikes r us" (rock n road) boycott?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by StrandLeper, May 28, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I think I am going to retire from mtn biking.

I know it is exercise but.....

I find it too much difficult.
    It takes way too much effort.
    I sweat when I try it.

Maybe, I'll just go to the mall and ride the escalator and say I went hiking.

2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Classic!

3. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    Just to clarify. The thread title is a question, not a declarative statement. Perhaps it was a bit too provocative and unfairly singles out RnR when lots of other shops may be doing it too. I compare RnR to Jax as they are both concept stores. I didn't see any Ebikes mtn bikes at Jax. Perhaps that is bcz Trek is not pushing them in the US. I don't know. I just ride bikes. I don't know anything about the bike biz (obviously).

Also, I go into a LOT of bike shops (just ask my wife) and RnR had the e mtn bike more prominently displayed than at any other shop that I had entered. So perhaps the provocative title isn't completely unfair. If the site moderator thinks that it may unfairly single out RnR, he may certainly adjust it.

kioti, Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  4. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    The Jax in Irvine was the pilot store for ebikes and had several the last time I was there (probably two months ago). If they don't have any, either sold all of them or quit the program.

Mikie likes this.
  5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    One of these times when the stars align, you need to ride with Mikie... A Golden Eagle trip, perhaps? "Site Moderator" will sound really formal after you meet him and hear him giggling like a hyena on his Yeti...

6. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C
    I gotta say... it does look nice. e-mtb certainly has come quite the ways from those DIY bolt on kits.

LLPoolJ and Mikie like this.
  7. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Sky? Your missing the point dahmeet! :cautious:;)

Faust29 likes this.
  8. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    SpecializedEBike1.jpg

Look at what I just picked up today from rock n road.

Just kidding. :Roflmao

NO THANKS! :stop:

Well, looking for a photo that looked somewhat convincing rather than a magazine photo shoot brought me to this article:
    http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...alized-turbo-levo-fsr-6fattie-e-mountain-bike

Interesting read. I hope it's not a double post. Don't think Specialized wants e-mtb folks to poach human power only trails. It hurts them in the long run too.

fos'l, UPSed and Mikie like this.
  9. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I'm embarrassed for Bicycle Magazine. And, they have lost my patronage.
    To state "Like it or not Cyclist" is nearly a slap in the face to the true cyclist everywhere. Every response I have heard from Pro E-Bikes supporters is ME, ME, ME!
    What consideration is Specialized taking in regards to potential consequences to product confusion amongst other user groups, trail access issues, blatantly suggesting in their Ads that these bikes are trail ready and trail available.

To be honest, I'm frustrated with this "Me" attitude this Nation has resolved to. What happen to doing things because it is the right thing to do? I hope I'm wrong. I hope that we do not lose years of fighting for trails because the line has been blurred between a motorcycle and a bicycle.

mike, sir crashalot and kioti like this.
  10. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    What do you get at "Bicycling" magazine for writing an article like that? A chalet in E-uropian Alps?

tick, mike, fos'l and 1 other person like this.
  11. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Did you read the whole article? And I think you're misquoting what he said...

Mikie likes this.
  12. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I "could" be on a blind rampage, I will certainly go re-read it. Thanks! :)

13. dstepper

dstepper Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    I have never bought a bike magazine in my whole life. They are just paid advertisements masquerading as reviews.

Dean

Oaken, Faust29, mike and 2 others like this.
  14. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Still not getting where you're supposed to ride one here in OC, where Rock n Road is selling them. Like, on bike paths? At Wildomar off-road area? Maybe the Main Divide, but then you can't legally descend any of the single track..

So why sell them in places where they have very limited application? That doesn't sound like Specialized being concerned about riders taking them on trails where they're not allowed, or being sensitive to access issues, despite what they're saying.

tick, Mikie and sir crashalot like this.
  15. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I appreciate being called out. I did indeed skim read the article the first time. I do think that @dstepper nails it however...
    Who do you think Bicycle Magazine is going to cater to? The cyclist? Or, the big buck advertising Specialized?
    There are "just" enough negatives in the article so as to not appear bias. Specialized may "claim" they are responsible but it is VERY clear regarding their "intent".
    I look at them as no different then the doctor prescribing pain pills, or a government entity providing handicap placards. Oh, there are rules, but we know it is being abused... Wink wink nod...;):whistling: "Here's a pamphlet on where you can and can not ride yur E-Bike, but I gotta tell yah, wait till you get this baby out on the Singletrack!"

Sounds like it's time to go into a Specialized LBS and play the covert customer and record what they "sell" when selling an E-Bike.

It was nice to see, however, that the article had enough guts to write about the "big picture concerns" that many people here have spoken of about having reservations as to the impact and confusion and generalities that will be regarded about E-Bikes and H-Bikes.

One thing I absolutely did not buy in to was his lame azz comparison of E-Bikes to motorcycles. So since it does not compare to a 450cc Motorcycle, it must be a bicycle? Sorry, I claim bullsh!t, and shame on him for even making the attempt to downplay a bike with a motor. Everyone wants disclaim and downplay the motor.

I do appreciate @littlewave holding me accountable, I did thoroughly re-read the article. It does change my perspective some. I would classify myself as now informed and disgusted from uninformed and enraged! DefCon 4 averted!:laugh:

Oaken, Faust29, mike and 4 others like this.
  16. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    FOR ME, a simple excuse for an eMTB is that I don't like riding road bikes (owned two in the last 30 years, rode each three times), so do errands on it. At least one friend with a Class 1 bike is waiting to get ticketed so he can have the legality resolved in court since the law is ambiguous.

Mikie likes this.
  17. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    I don't like riding road bikes either, and it was really nice being able to ride a full suspension bike at road bike speeds when I was commuting with one. It was also much easier to get to and from work when I was super sore from a long or new mtb ride they day before.

Pros and cons to everything though. I don't miss the wires and having to worry about having enough charge. Topping off the batteries gets old fast. I just want to hop on a bike and just ride and not have to worry how long/far I can ride.

Sorry for derailing this thread. I understand it's more about the potential negative impact e-mtb will bring along, off the pavement, if not placed in check early on.

Mikie, fos'l and kioti like this.
  18. Maybe a blast at Gorman?

Mikie likes this.
  19. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    Agree with skyungjae (although I think he'll return to the dark side sooner rather than later) that this group needs to act if they think that eMTB's on trails might compromise all MTB activity. Someone should coordinate these activities. It's too late to be proactive; pretty soon it'll be too late.

Mikie likes this.
  20. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Nobodys mentioned this yet -

HAIBIKE eMTB Race
    https://socalbicyclist.com/regulars/haibike-emtb-race

...beginning of the end

Mikie and dstepper like this.
  21. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    I have access to a handful of e-mtbs I could borrow indefinitely as the folks I built them for don't use them at all. Unfortunately, after having my 2nd kid, I need to squeeze in any type of exercise I can. I never really view cycling as "working out" or by any means an alternative to a high intensity work out (sealfit, crossfit, rescue athlete, etc...), but I'll take what I can get. Right now that's only about 5 miles a day round trip from the train station.

Like many of you, hitting up the trails is sort of my therapy. Though e-mtb never really took away from what I enjoyed about riding, I notice that my bikes are getting simpler and simpler. At this rate, I should be riding a single speed, full rigid bike by next year.

22. dstepper

dstepper Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
  23. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    My response to socalbicyclist.com:
    Chris,
    In regards to your article: https://socalbicyclist.com/regulars/haibike-emtb-race

Are you taking into consideration the conflicts that E-Bikes are creating or are you just looking at the financial opportunity it provides for you. With all the conflict and potential legalities that E-Bikes bring to the United States. The controversy of Trail Advocacy and Trail Access, as well as the years of efforts that have been put forth by many for the last 12 years in effort to sustain our trail access, E-Bikes are moving onto our trails faster then clear legislation is being provided.

There is much disdain for the "Me" attitude of pro E-Bike participants not taking into consideration the potential consequences prior to clear designation and proper application.

I would hope you would take that into consideration if you truly care about the long term access and public perception of cyclist in general in regards to cycling trails in the US.

I have posted these comments over on my MTB Forum...

Mike Watson
    imtbtrails.com

Faust29, Cornholio, Andy and 2 others like this.
  24. Louis Zegarra

Louis Zegarra Member

Name:
    LouisZ
    Current Bike:
    Giant Stance
    Frankly it doesn't look legit to me. Everything looks like a prop, the bike looks like a Chinese carbon knockoff, the battery looks like a bottled water container, the display console is your cell and they never get close to the heart of the bike, the engine. I think they are just selling an idea rather than having an actual demo. I would think twice to give these folks any startup money.

Mikie and fos'l like this.
  25. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    My S works shoes are two years old and getting pretty tattered. Bought some Sidi Drakos the other day. I was going to sit tight for the new S works model... but the big S does not get any of my money anymore.

26. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I was pondering how the Orange County "Trail" E-bike sales presentation would go, and came up with this possible conversation:

Sales person: Hello sir, how can I be of excellent service?
    Customer: Well I’m lookin’ to git me a new bike.
    S: Got a brand new model right over here!
    C: What’s it called?
    S: The Layz-E-rider 9000, sir!
    C: It looks like a broken down ol’ mare.
    S: The Layz-E-rider 9000 is guaranteed to make you fast as Lance Armstrong!
    C: That boy was on drugs.
    S: But you won’t need to be!
    C: Why’s that?
    S: It’s got a battery in it!
    C: Like a flash light?
    S: More like a Tesla!
    C: You mean that yuppie car?
    S: It’s the future!
    C: So it’s got an electric motor?

S: No sir, federal law says it’s not a motor!

C: Well, where can I ride it?
    S: Just about everywhere!
    C: Everywhere?
    S: Sure, just about!
    C: You mean like the Luge?
    S: Well, no, not the Luge.
    C: What about Chutes?
    S: No, not Chutes.
    C: How ‘bout Black Star?
    S: Not Black Star.
    C: How ‘bout the Motorway?
    S: Not the Motorway.
    C: Maple Springs?

S: Yes Sir! You can ride up Maple Springs! All the way to the mountain top!

C: Can I drop Joplin?
    S: You can’t drop Joplin.
    C: Harding Truck Trail?
    S: Not Harding.
    C: Santiago Truck Trail?
    S: Not at this time sir.
    C: Cadillac?
    S: That’s technically private property.
    C: So is that a no?
    S: Well, lots of people ride it, and the Layz-E-rider 9000 will breeze right up it!
    C: But it’s private property.
    S: Yes sir, but there’s no gate and no sign!
    C: I don’t like trespassing. How ‘bout Trabuco Canyon?

S: You can ride up and down Trabuco Canyon!

C: Holy Jim?
    S: Not Holy Jim.
    C: Trabuco Trail?
    S: Not Trabuco Trail.
    C: Bell Ridge and Los Pinos?
    S: I don’t see why not, sir.
    C: What about the hike-a-bikes?
    S: Shouldn’t be a problem sir, with the Layz-E-rider 9000!
    C: How ‘bout the San Juan trail?
    S: Not at this time, sir.
    C: North Main Divide?

S: YES SIR! All the way to the PEAK, SIR!

C: How ‘bout Cactus in Whiting? I could sure use some help on Mustard.
    S: Not at this time, sir!
    C: Oakley trails?
    S: Yes, it’d be outstanding on the Oakley trails!
    C: But they got bulldozed.
    S: There are new ones!
    C: How ‘bout O’Neill Park?
    S: Yes, sir, everywhere you can drive a truck!
    C: But not the trails?
    S: Sadly not at this time, sir.
    C: Well, what about Aliso, I love that park.
    C: Laguna Coast Wilderness?
    C: What about El Moro, that’s a State park, right?
    S: Yes sir, it’s a State park. Incredibly, no sir.
    C: Peter’s Canyon? I love buzzing those rude hikers.
    S: No sir.
    C: Wow. How much is this bike again?
    S: $9,000.00 sir!
    C: That sounds like a lot.
    S: We’ll pay the tax, sir!

C: I’ll take it.

27. yvettessherpa

yvettessherpa Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    YETI Baby!!!
    I think you got your C's and S's mixed at the end.

Mikie and kioti like this.
  28. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Thanks. My battery was running low.

Mikie likes this.
  29. dstepper

dstepper Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    If you pedal harder your battery will last longer.

Dean

Mikie likes this.
  30. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Good advice, but I was tired and a long ways from the trailhead. Next time I'll bring a spare.

Mikie, mtnbikej and littlewave like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.