Best Shoes for Riding Flat Pedals?

Discussion in 'Shoes' started by Mikie, Dec 20, 2014.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Just bought some Diety Flats per a suggestion by varaxis.

I was wondering what are the best shoes to use when riding flat pedals? :?:

2. Chevrolegs

Chevrolegs Member

Name:
    Steven
    Current Bike:
    Bronson
    Kreature likes this.
  3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Most everybody will tell you 5.10s. I wear the 5.10 Impact Low and love them, but I only wear them for dedicated DH days and I don't use them for trail riding that involves climbing.

4. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Recently got a pair of Teva Links to try some flats again. Amazon had them for dirt cheap (like $40 ish) and the reviews were good. To me these shoes are just ok. Grip is decent but could be allot better and the damn laces are about a foot too long and require some creative tucking. They are well built, light, stiff soled and very good to walk in though so at least I'll get some use out of them. LBS has the specialized 2F0's and they looked good but I think most will say to go with the 5-10's.

5. dstepper

dstepper Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    <a class="postlink" href="http://fiveten.com/dealers/five-ten-outlet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://fiveten.com/dealers/five-ten-outlet</a> Plan a ride in the inland empire (Redlands) or ride SART and stop by the outlet store and get a deal on 5 10s. Outlet hours and location on the link. I paid $45 for my last pair of Impacts.

Dean

6. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    I have a set of Freeriders that I use for normal riding days, and Karvers (impact mid with a lace guard) for the rides in which I want the extra ankle support and protection (useful for high speed dabs). The Karvers are a bit more boot-like. Rocks and debris will get in the shoe regardless. Had them for 2+ years now, only changing the insoles after they wore out, using them only for riding. There's a new model in between called the Freerider VXI or something, but I'd still go for the regular Freerider. I've seen the various Teva shoes, but I'd still go 5.10. Can find stuff cheap at the outlet. Paid a similar price as Dean.

7. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Shut the front door, a five-ten outlet... Whoodaaaa thunk. Guess I should have asked around here first.

8. jfsh

jfsh Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Current Bike:
    Enduro
    I have a pair of Teva Links and really like them. Too bad Teva stopped making them. I need to buy another pair while they are still around.

9. BBJohn

BBJohn Member

Name:
    John
    Okay that’s it, time for an intervention! First it was a dropper post, okay I can see it with the terrain you ride and your not racing any more so a pass. But then there is talk of full face helmets and body armor, now flats and non carbon soled shoes. This has gone too far!!! What’s next loss of the lycra shorts and getting into baggies? I suppose you’ll shelve the jerseys too and start looking for flannel shirts to sport.
    What has become of our little boy ma? :D

herzalot likes this.
  10. keepiton2

keepiton2 Newbie

Name:
    Dave M
    5.10 Impact Low...been using them for the last 10 years. Love them, grip like crazy. I switched to flats when I started riding downhill in 2003. Then I just switched period.

I'm new here so "hello" everyone.

11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    The dark side is hard to resist...

12. Black Licorice

Black Licorice Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Nomad
    Anyone have experience with the non Impact 5-10s in terms of sole strength? I ride the low top impact 5-10s and have been running them for 5 years and they are seeing the end of their life. I want to replace them, but I want something with a solid sole as I have seen someone wearing more regular shoes shatter his heel after ditching his bike and landing on a rock.

The impact are great, but a bit bulky - so any more streamlined ones that provide the same type of support?

13. Varaxis

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    You're probably a good candidate for the VXi Freerider. The VXi has a stiffer more supportive sole than the regular Freerider. The Freerider is kind of like a very bike friendly skate shoe, while the VXi is more like a clipless bike shoe converted to a flat pedal bike shoe that looks like a skate shoe, without the clipless cleat interface. The Impact is like a puffy/padded basketball hightop-like upper mated to a hiking boot's sole.

These might sound like rather crude descriptions, but there's plenty that could've gone wrong, such as a too flimsy sole, a poor fit allowing your feet to shift within the shoe, poor ventilation, poor drying, getting super stinky, etc. 5.10 seems to have kept all these things in check to create a tolerable shoe that work great, probably with much credit going to its grippy rubber.

14. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C
    http://www.competitivecyclist.com/s...vZXM6MToyOmNjQ2F0MTAwMzQw&skid=SOM0297-BLA-S7

I've been using these for a while. I haven't owned 5.10s to compare, but these are definitely worth the money if you're on a budget. I got them when they were $22 a pair.

If I had to do it again, I wouldn't have gotten charcoal (really blue) since it isn't mesh and turns your foot into a sweat factory.

A buddy of mine got the floats:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/s...ZXM6MTozOmNjQ2F0MTAwMzQw&skidn=SOM0295-NAV-S8

I'll probably get these next time around for my regular riding and use my high tops for the park.

15. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Any approach shoe with a flat, sticky rubber sole will work as a flat pedal shoe. What do ya think we did before Impacts? FiveTen, Boreal and La Sportiva all had perfect approach shoes for non SPD, then FT decided to make specific shoes.

I love my Impacts for most stuff, but if it's a long adventure ride or something with considerable HAB, I'll be in my lighter, smaller Scarpa Crux. Rode 2700 miles with them this summer, and they are ready for much more. I can't tell the diff descending.

Love a certain shoe and want to adjust the amount of grip? Get longer or shorter pins for your pedals. Prefer a low top but want a little more support? 661 ankle brace over your sock.

The industry still has not fully caught up to our needs, so thinking out of the box can yield great solutions.

16. Varaxis

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Length of pins should match the depth of the shoe lugs, with consideration to sticky mud. Fewer pins, or pointy pins, tend to increase bite. More pins, or broad pins, relaxes the bite a bit, so it's easier to reposition your foot without needing to pick it off the pedal. A basketball shoe has quite a bit of grip, but it doesn't work that well since the sole is very flexible. A vulcanized skate shoe doesn't work well since it also has a very flexible sole and it's designed to allow more feedback through the sole to allow more platform feel through, and that means you'll feel every pin and bump; your feet will go numb 1 minute down that dry creek bed descent. There's a lot more to it, that all works out to a balance of attributes that rides and HABs pleasantly with minimal complaint.

The industry hasn't caught up to riders dreams, not needs, in large part due to their caution regarding successful product launches. It's actually the people holding them back. Companies can't afford to launch something bold, innovative, revolutionary, etc. and have retro grouches, neo-luddites, people who wait for 2nd gen or reviews, scoff at with criticisms that target everything at it, in addition to launching at too high of a price due to a conservatively small initial production run. I'm not sure what the big guys use for strategy. Perhaps they "leak" info of their new stuff and keep it exclusive for a while, but used in high profile events successfully, then when the overly harsh criticisms turn into wants, wish-lists additions, impatience, etc. then they launch. Sadly, aesthetics/fashion matter a lot in this industry, likely since it's so photogenic by nature.

There's so much out there that exceeds your needs that you don't even know about. The marketing of big guys, who try to target the majority (there's a lot of less intelligent people in the majority) with their marketing and products, flood out the rest of their competition, effectively drowning out the innovative new guys who can't afford to keep afloat. These new guys struggle to get publicity... they do get their info out there known, but their campaign usually lasts maybe a week, and is quickly forgotten. If they do an update, and publicize it again, the majority would be going, "I thought these guys died. Is this even any good?" Any positive statements would be considered paid for, possible shills, and they'd be wanting an "official" report from the mass media that is ironically bought out by the big companies through bribes, perks, vacations, swag, ad revenue, etc. People just don't seem to care unless something is mass produced and feel that it is tailored to their needs, needs which in reality tend to be set rather minimally (unless you're a part of a minority). People just don't know what to do, freeze up in disbelief, if their dreams come true, generally not planning anything to come afterwards. Also, fulfilling your every desire generally doesn't lead to happiness either (see Solomon). That and small innovators tend to come up with things that needs a mate (that they aren't powerful enough to control) to work, be a new shoe design that requires a pedal to be optimized to it, a new rim that requires a tire to be optimized to it, a pedal that connects to your crank in a way that it doesn't need an extra large axle under your foot, or a novel suspension system that doesn't work with a traditional bike transmission, forcing them to search for partners. It would take pure genius (and benevolence, else they would just work in secret)...

17. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Damn, take a paragraph break.

Length of pins matching a lug pattern? This kind of nonsense is just Internet spank. You go ride the thing and decide where to go with your grip, not measure your pins and shoe lugs. There's nerd factor in everything if that's what you seek, so go for it like you love to. Tell me more about how my feet will go numb in one minute and other hyperbole. More riding, less yammering, young internet ninja.

18. Varaxis

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    There's a saying that goes something like... if you correct a wise man, they will thank you, but if you try and correct a fool, they will spite you.

(Paragraph here, explaining how you are misunderstanding things, and how one can't use logic to reason with an emotional person)

verdugist likes this.
  19. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    :D One of the reasons imtbtrails is going to continue to succeed and remain a place of positive interaction is because members will always be safe and encouraged to voice their knowledge, thoughts, beliefs, and perspectives, in as little or as many words as they choose...

imtbtrails is where we spend off-trail time to discuss and share. The forum is not running out of space any time soon!

Mikie
    :thumbup: Type On!

20. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I'll lorem ipsum to that!

21. verdugist

verdugist Guest

Two pairs five ten. Decent but seem overpriced but maybe they last long. Laces are way too long on the freerider contact. Vxi allow for cleats and have a Velcro band to cover the laces.

Btw this was one of the more entertaining threads I've seen in this forum. No offense to anybody.

22. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Holy thread resurrection, Batman!!!

verdugist and Cyclotourist like this.
  23. Varaxis

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Does that bother you? I'd rather have thread ressurection than someone posting up another thread on the same topc, especially if things are getting repeated.

I think the only competition to 5.10s today is the Specialized 2FO.

verdugist likes this.
  24. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Doesn't bother me in the slightest. Just amazed at the 13 month hiatus.

25. riiz

riiz Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Heckler/Killmaleon
    You cant go wrong with 5.10s, I've been using the Freeriders for years, but I prefer the non-vxi sole. It's safer to walk in on HAB sections or for general off-bike use.

Cyclotourist likes this.
  26. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Montrail Torre GTX
    image.jpeg

27. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Freeriders of any type don't play nice with my feet. My feet are in pain after just 20 minutes of riding :cry: But they REALLY grip well. I have some Aescents and they work well for me when I'm riding flats, probably a big better than Vans.

I like their Dirtbags for casual. Currently on sale.

28. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
  29. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    And matching grips! Screenshot_2016-01-14-08-27-36-1.png

MCB2K and Runs with Scissors like this.
  30. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I used the 5.10 Impact Low and found the same thing...lots of rocks and dirt. I thought the Impact High would be better but they were surprisingly even worse. Perhaps if I could have gotten the laces done up tighter at the top it would have been better but the high top acted like a funnel and directed even more crap into them. The only solution that worked was to get a pair of compact gaiters. I did like the Impact High's I had initially because whatever version I had was a lot lighter than my Low's. The newer pair of High's I bought last year are slightly smaller for the same shoe size and hurt my big toe after a few hours riding. I use mostly my Low's these days. Every other brand I've ever used has been no where near as good as any version of 5.10 that I've owned.

Careful here Mikie. If you do go with flats you are going to look awful goofy wearing lycra. But if you do go with the flannel you will have to skip over baggies and go straight to skinny jeans. With no gloves, of course. This isn't bowling, there are rules....!

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?