Helmet Reviews - Put 'Em Here!

Discussion in 'Helmets' started by Daddy Dirtbag, Jan 13, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Daddy Dirtbag

Daddy Dirtbag Member

Name:
    Jeff Johansen
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Stache 9 29+
    I have become a bit of a 'Helmet Ho' lately, applying the N+1 formula to my helmet collection. In a lame defense tactic, I would suggest that each has their unique purpose. . . . well, except for the two that are the exact same model and size (but different colors) *facepalm*

At any rate, I thought it might be nice to get some helmet reviews up here at IMTB so we can hear what folks like, don't like, and why, as well as what might be done to improve them.

Let the fur fly!

Runs with Scissors likes this.
  2. Daddy Dirtbag

Daddy Dirtbag Member

Name:
    Jeff Johansen
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Stache 9 29+
    OK, alright. I will get the ball rolling. . . .

I recently 'accumulated' a Specialized Centro Winter LED lid and will articulate my thoughts on it.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftr/helmets/mens-recreationalcommute-helmets/centro-winter-led

I got this because (for various reasons) I habitually misplace my winter headwear that I use to keep my ears warm on cold rides. Then, when I need it, it could be in any of several places, and sometimes I have a hard time locating the thing I need to keep my ears from being so cold that it makes the ride less enjoyable. I also plan to commute more this coming year, and need to have a less expensive cold weather helmet that may get left outdoors for some length of time dangling from my bike in a parking lot at work. I work at a jail facility, so I'm not terribly concerned about it getting jacked, but it could happen, not to mention the destructive force of mother nature taking it's toll.

A couple weeks ago, I noticed the Centro Winter LED on the Specialized website, and thought it might just be an answer to my issue(s), so I ordered one. I have used it a couple times now, and have some thoughts to share.

The Centro has a couple of other iterations (Centro, and Centro LED) that are still offered. It is a 'universal fit' type helmet, so it only comes in one size that is supposed to fit a wide range of head sizes. My helmet size is generally 'pretty freaking huge' and this helmet fits me with a little room to spare. It does feature an adjustable retention system, and comes with a fixed position visor.

The thing that sets this apart from other Centro helmets is that is has this built in earmuff system as you can see from the pics shown at the website that the link takes you to. The regular pads don't come with the Centro Winter LED as it has pads built into the earmuff system held in place by velcro and attached to a fishnet like covering inside of the helmet. The center of the ear pieces are open except for the fishnet material so you can hear just fine.

the Centro Winter LED (as suggested by the name) also features a built in red LED on the rear of the helmet that has either a solid mode, as well as a flashing mode that be activated by simply pushing in on the lens. It has replaceable batteries, So I will probably only use it when I feel the need to have something extra lit up back there besides my other LED taillight that I can attach it to either my person, or the bike itself.

Out on the trail, I found the Centro to be quite comfy, with no glaring issues with respect to fit. My ears stayed nice and toasty, and I could hear just fine. I didn't notice any excessive wind noise either. I took it out on a night ride this evening, and found the top of the shell to be helmet mount friendly as it didn't need too much strap, mounted the light mount where it had a pretty neutral weight bias fore/aft, and had enough of a platform for the mount to sit stably on top. Of course, helmet fit is similar to saddle choice. One rider's heaven could be another rider's hell with respect to helmet fit.

Style wise, I don't think it will win any awards for it's looks, but I don't find it to be especially hideous either. Pretty much middle of the road styling, and only offered in three colors: black, white, and 'ion' (bright safety green). It would have been nice to have included a set of pads from the regular Centro to make it more of a year round helmet, but I may order some from Specialized for summer commuting.

3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Troy Lee A1 Drone.
    +

Super comfy fit. Good protection. Light weight. Not too hot. Adjustable visor. Not super expensive ($100). Now available in lots of cool colors.

-
    Hard to position most sunglass arms. No bug mesh on vents.

The only time in my life that I've been knocked out cold was wearing this helmet - and I never even replaced it after that crash. Why you ask? You must be mad - you say? Simple. I hit my face, not my helmet. The only mark on my helmet was a crease in my visor.

Bell Drop (Lopes 55 model)
    +

Comfy fit. Buckle chin strap instead of moto-style D-Rings. Great goggle compatibility. Fairly light weight for a FF. Breathes well. Feels like good protection. Relatively inexpensive ($125 at the time).

-
    Discontinued

Generic commentary:
    Helmets are mostly about fit. You have to have one that fits your head size and shape well, or fuhggeddaboudit. The new Bell Super 2 that all you cool kids are wearing with the removable chin protection (full face) looks awesome both in the trail mode and the FF mode, but doesn't fit me worth a crap. Medium is too small with lots of pressure points, large is way too loose. Even though I am a slave to fashion, I won't do that to my noggin'

4. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
  5. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    I hope those aren't the "sale" prices on those links! If so , pretty pricey.

6. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    X2 for the Smith Forefront!!

Daddy Dirtbag and Cyclotourist like this.
  7. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Did you notice the retail price of $230? That's the crazy price! $130 I can handle for a real good helmet design.

Danmtchl and Daddy Dirtbag like this.
  8. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Once had a family come in the shop looking for a helmet for their 5 year old child. None of the kids helmets would fit, and as I was talking to the parents, the child put on an adult model-large!!! The poor kid had a huge melon head and an adult size was the only one that fit.
    The parents wouldn't buy it because it wasn't a kids helmet. They left without buying.....
    The helmet must fit and be comfortable and then look good. If it isn't comfy-they wont wear it.

Some people's heads are Charlie Browns-try Bell helmets.
    Others are Sponge Bob-try the Bell box!

Faust29, Mikie, tortoise and 6 others like this.
  9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

We always used the Burt and Ernie analogy for head shapes.

10. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Fox Flux guy... been riding them for about 10 years +/-. I liked my first so much that I bought 2 more on clearance and stored them for future use. I seem to be the guy that when I find something I really like, the manufacturer stops making it. :p

Adjustable, fits my head shape, good coverage, breathes well and I like the futuristic styling... Still looks cutting edge, even though it's an old design.

11. Daddy Dirtbag

Daddy Dirtbag Member

Name:
    Jeff Johansen
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Stache 9 29+
    Troy Lee A1

I have one of the first A1's that came out a few years ago. It's the bass boat gold flake version in L/XL and it fits my jug pretty well. The styling is typical Troy Lee, meaning it's very stylish. The visor is adjustable and held in place with nice thumb screws. It is a bit warm on hot days compared to some of my other lids. It has held up very well and holds a light mount pretty well. It would have been a little pricey at $185, but Mike at FB made me a deal I could not resist. It is well made and the over-the-top paint scheme has garnered many compliments.

Specialized Ambush

I have a Specialized Ambush in Large size, and I want to love this helmet, but there is something about the fit that is just a tad off for my head. I realize that the Large is too big for my head, but the Medium is too small and looks like a Devo-esque flower pot perched up there. I'm also not gaga over the way the front pad keeps exposing the retention band to the skin on my forehead. I actually have two of these and they both do the same thing in the same spot. I have to keep pulling the pad down for relief. Also, on the large model, the place where the straps come out of the helmet shell is a ways out from my skull which makes for an odd look. The Great Gazoo comes to mind.

Other than that, I am pleased with the coverage, ventilation, styling etc. The Ambush also comes with a second set of pads that varies slightly in thickness so you can customize the fit if needed. The retention has an additional retention system adjustment that is up in the very top of the helmet in addition to the dial built into the rear of the helmet shell.

Gazoo_001a.jpg

Faust29 likes this.
  12. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    G00014DQ.jpg I currently have a 661 Evo AM with MIPS. It has a great fit and is very comfortable helmet. This is my first enduro style helmet and it works well. It is a bit pricey at $200.00. I got mine for on sale and cost. I have seen them on sale for $150.00. I also have a new Kali Maya in the box and will review it when it has some use.

Faust29, herzalot and Daddy Dirtbag like this.
  13. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    The rear "spoiler" on that Flux helmet apparently is there to allow you to rest the helmet on its top with extra stability.

Actually, I just made that up, but that's how I see it. :D

Danmtchl, MCB2K and Daddy Dirtbag like this.
  14. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    C'mon now! We know it's there to keep the dust off the back of the helmet and to keep his rear end on the ground for better traction! o_O

And NO I didn't make that up....

15. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    742838d1354765251-bluesky-cycling-fox-flux-helmets-$49-99-spaceball-trooper.jpg
    I wanted this one, but they were sold out.

Danmtchl, mike, Faust29 and 9 others like this.
  16. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Find anything yet?

Edit: guess you have to see the movie. :laugh:

Danmtchl and doublewide like this.
  17. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    DD - re: Ambush, wonder if you could use the Sweatbuster to deal w/ that issue? Or wear a Headsweats skull cap (which I use and like).

I also use a Fox Flux, good helmet altho the front visor is flimsy and falls off easily. Not sure what the rear spoiler is for until now...

Daddy Dirtbag likes this.
  18. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Group Ride , these are good if hitting anything rubber.
    Everything You Ever.jpg

19. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    BELL!
    Went away from bell for a couple helmets, but back in it and I remember why. Great fit, MIPS technology, greater protection to the back of the head, Bell reputation.
    I just bought a 2016 2R. One annoying issue however is with the chin mounted it squeaks! Maybe nothing more then some White Lightning lube at the connection point, but the squeak drives me nuts. I use the chin guard to mount my Go Pro mount to, perfect location! I like the flat blue and black color as well...
    image.jpeg

MrGreedom, bvader, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  20. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    A zip tie can fix that visor issue.

Danmtchl, Mikie and Daddy Dirtbag like this.
  21. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    Fortunately didn't have to resort to zip ties. Added more Velcro underneath and it hasn't flown off in a couple years.

For a performance brand...

22. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Love the color and look of this helmet, but they no fit me right :(

Danmtchl, Daddy Dirtbag and Mikie like this.
  23. oldschoolpl510

oldschoolpl510 Member

Name:
    Jason
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD3
    I also love the Fox Flux, I am currently on my third one. My son also has one too.

Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  24. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I too have owned a Fox Flux. It was a great helmet...

Danmtchl likes this.
  25. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
  26. Oaken

Oaken Well-Known Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    My favorite helmets are the closeout models. Work just as well as the full cost ones! ;)
    Currently using the Flux and like it very well.

HBkites, Danmtchl, PMORTUARY and 2 others like this.
  27. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc

On sale at Cambria right now... ~$107 for a L/XL. I pulled the trigger on one.

28. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    The 6D helmets are sweet, but you are right they are pricey. I think they are are worth the money, but my wife doesn't see it that way.

Mikie and doublewide like this.
  29. BigTex

BigTex Member

Name:
    Richard
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Les
    I just retired a POC Trabec Race for a Smith Forefront, and am very happy with that decision.

Both are MIPS helmets. The POC never quite fit me right (felt good in the store, not so much on the trail) seemed to bounce around a lot, loosened up on me and, eventually, squeaked. And it was effin' hot. The vent holes didn't seem to do squat (previous helmet was a Giro Xar, and it seemed to vent much better - I only replaced it because of he sizable dent I put into the side of it).

I was hesitant to try the Smith because I heard they were hot as well, but so far I'm pleased with the ventilation. It's rock solid on my head, love the way the visor stays where you put it. I've only got a few rides with it, but so far I'm pretty pleased. Of course, I may report back differently when the temps hit 90 again.

Mikie likes this.
  30. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    Let us know how the Smith does on hot days. Does it flow well and stay cool?